-Caveat Lector-

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Euphorian wrote:

> On 8 Feb 02, at 16:11, thew wrote:
>
> > good and evil deeds exist
> > evil and good deeds are concrete
> >
> > SATAN IS NOT
>
> This seems to be a contradiction.  "evil ... are concrete" but SATAN
> as the embodiment of evil is not.

Most of us have names which are not statements of what we are about. Joe,
or Jill for example. Others have names which say what we are about, what
our real, in this world nature is like. Sometimes people change their
names to try and describe or prescribe such characteristics.
I know a guy who changed his name to "Brook" because he thought it was
calming and natural. Why wouldn't the most evil person in the world be
aptly called "The Great Satan"?

 Would that mean that any of the
> other mythological figures are equally un-concrete?

They may well be mythological but a real person titled "Satan" could be a
real, concrete and non-mythological manifestation of evil in this world.
Ask El Presidente. He uses the words evil and good so often one might
start to get the idea he doesn't have his head shoved up his ass.
POC