-Caveat Lector-

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26426

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

The IRS 1st Amendment police

by Joseph Farrah

© 2002 WorldNetDaily.com

It has been nearly six years since the Internal Revenue Service came after me
for exercising my First Amendment rights, but the paper trail on the case
continues to grow.

Only last week, the U.S. Justice Department turned over to my attorneys at
Judicial Watch some 500 pages of documents it has collected on the IRS's
audit of my non-profit group, the Western Journalism Center, in 1996 – a
nine-month ordeal that ended with a clean bill of health and an extension of
the group's non-profit status.

The IRS audited the group in direct response to a letter it received from
Bill Clinton requesting an investigation of our non-profit status when we
began investigating various Clinton administration scandals. From the moment
the audit began, the agent in charge of the investigation warned that it was
"a political case" and that the decision about our fate would be "made at the
national level." A Treasury Department investigation later found that the
audit was triggered by the letter from the White House.

For the last five years, Judicial Watch has been helping me pursue justice
through civil actions. The response of the government has been to release
batches of documents to us ever-so slowly over a period of years.

Here's the way it works with our federal government:

The IRS turns over a few documents, claiming that's the entirety of the file.
Ridiculous, we say. The file doesn't even include the IRS's previous
correspondence with me. How can it possibly be complete?

Then the Treasury Department turns over some documents, including some IRS
papers that weren't turned over by this agency of the department.

Now the Justice Department is turning over documents – six years later –
gathered by the IRS way back when and never turned over despite our filing
several lawsuits to get them.

That's the process. It's frustrating. It's time-consuming. It's expensive.
And the bureaucrats' entire objective is to wear you down – hope you get
tired of waiting and refiling and run out of money and energy at some point.

Of course, when you're dealing with Joseph Farah and Larry Klayman, that
strategy doesn't work.

Now, let's talk about the content of the latest document drop.

Mostly it's a collection of letters to and from congressional offices in
response to the case. Congressional constituents would write their senators
and representatives about the high-profile case, and the elected officials
would, in turn, write to the IRS for explanations.

It's quite an enlightening collection – with a few surprises among the
redacted pages.

A wide variety of members of Congress took the time to get explanations of
the case from the IRS. That means many of you wrote letters to your senators
and representatives. And for that I am truly appreciative.

For instance, here are some of the members of Congress who questioned the
IRS's actions in the case: Sen. Charles Robb, D-Va.; Sen. Barbara Mikulski,
D-Md.; Rep. John Larson, D-Conn.; Rep. Lee Terry, R-Neb.; Rep. Dennis Moore,
D-Kan.; Sen, Rick Santorum, R-Pa.; Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Fla.

It also turns out that Bill Clinton was not the only official who asked the
IRS to poke around in WJC's affairs. Former Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan,
D-N.Y., was another. And there is some sketchy evidence that the IRS tried to
enlist Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., in the case in some mysterious way.

And that's about all this investigative reporter could glean from the latest
release of "sanitized" documents from the government. No doubt there will be
more a year from now, or two years from now, as we continue to pursue
justice.

We think this remains an important case – as important today as it was during
the Clinton years. Somebody's ox will always be gored by political
apparatchiks who abuse government authority. So, we'll keep fighting the good
fight.

We're not going away. And, unfortunately, neither are the IRS and the bloated
federal bureaucracy.

Write to same address to be off lists!