Official: U.S. Should Leave Asia

By Vladimir Isachenkov
Associated Press Writer
Tuesday, February 12, 2002; 3:06 PM

MOSCOW –– Russia's defense minister said Tuesday that the United States
should abandon its military presence in former Soviet republics in Central
Asia once the war in Afghanistan is over.

Sergei Ivanov said the U.S. troop deployment in Central Asia was necessary
for the success of the anti-terrorist operation and "largely positive."

But Russia, he said, assumes that "these bases are there on a temporary basis
and only until the end of the anti-terrorist operation."

President Vladimir Putin's decision to welcome the U.S. troops into Central
Asia dramatically bolstered Russia's relations with the United States and
other Western countries, but has provoked concern at home.

Some representatives of Russia's political elite have voiced fear that the
United States might use its military presence to end Russia's sway over the
region, which was conquered by the Russian Empire in the 19th century.

"I wouldn't raise the degree of our concern to an unnecessarily high level,"
Ivanov said at a news conference, pointing to statements by U.S. officials
who have said that no permanent bases are planned.

Assistant Secretary of State Beth Jones said Monday in Washington that
military-to-military ties with countries of the region are growing but that
the United States is not interested in having its own bases in Central Asia.

"We want access to bases for as long as we need them," she said.

With Russia's blessing, U.S. troops have been deployed at an air base in
Uzbekistan and at an airport in Kyrgyzstan, and other allied forces are
expected to move to bases in Tajikistan and Kazakstan.

Ivanov, flanked by visiting Afghan Defense Minister Mohammed Fahim, said
Russia would help bolster Afghanistan's military capability by providing
spare parts for its Soviet-built weapons and other assistance.

"We aren't talking about weapons, enough of which have piled up there during
20 years of war, but about organizational assistance, supplies and spare
parts," Ivanov said. He said Russia was also ready to provide training
aircraft and transport helicopters for the Afghan air force.

Ivanov said that Russia had no immediate plans to send military experts to
help train the Afghan army and wasn't seeking to gain any influence there.

"We aren't going to enforce our will on anyone, especially as we know the
history of Afghanistan quite well," he said. "We will provide assistance only
when we are asked for it."

Still, the daily Izvestia said that new weapons supplies would "push Kabul
back into Moscow's political embrace."

Following the 1979-89 Soviet occupation of Afghanistan, the Kremlin was a key
arms supplier for the anti-Taliban forces in the late 1990s. Last year,
Moscow supplied an estimated $34 million worth of Soviet-era weapons to the
Afghan forces fighting the Taliban.

"We have enough weapons and don't need to buy more, but we need assistance in
repairing them," Fahim said.

Neither Ivanov nor Fahim would put a price tag on Russian supplies, but some
Russian media noted promises by the United States and other countries to
allocate tens of millions of dollars to upgrade the Afghan military.

"Fahim hasn't come to Moscow with empty pockets," said the daily Nezavisimaya
Gazeta

Write to same address to be off lists!