The Conservative e-Journal of Record
* Veritas Vos Liberabit *

Federalist Edition #02-07
Wednesday Chronicle

*To support The Federalist,
Link to -- http://www.Federalist.com/support.asp
*To sponsor The Federalist,
Link to -- http://www.Federalist.com/sponsor.asp
*To retrieve today's Chronicle as HTML printer-friendly text or PDF
Link to -- http://www.Federalist.com/current2002.asp
*To change your e-mail address or format, see instructions in footer.

CONTENTS:
The Foundation
Insight
Upright
Editorial Exegesis
Dezinformatsia
Sociocrats
Village Idiots
Short Cuts

______----********O********----______
THE FOUNDATION

"Educate and inform the whole mass of people.  Enable them to see that
it is to their interest to preserve peace and order.... They are the
only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." --Thomas
Jefferson

______----********O********----______
INSIGHT

"Our religion must not alone be the concern of the emotions, but must
be woven into the warp and woof of our every-day life." --Booker T.
Washington  ++  "Justice without strength is powerless, strength
without justice is tyrannical.... Therefore, unable to make what is
just strong, we have made what is strong just." --Blaise Pascal  ++
"Christians ought to rise together in defense of spiritual and moral
values against the pressure of materialism and moral permissiveness."
--Pope John Paul II  ++  "We can do no great things; only small things
with great love." --Mother Teresa  ++  "The morality and values faith
implies are deeply embedded in our national character. Our country
embraces those principles by design, and we abandon them at our
peril." --Ronald Reagan  ++  "We never know how high we are/ Till we
are called to rise/ And then, if we are true to plan/ Our statures
touch the skies." --Emily Dickinson ++  "Adversity has the effect of
eliciting talents which in times of prosperity would have lain
dormant." --Horace  ++  "There is a price which is too great to pay
for peace, and that price can be put in one word.  One cannot pay the
price of self-respect." --Woodrow Wilson  ++  "You can't say
civilization don't advance...in every war they kill you in a new way."
--Will Rogers  ++  "Under democracy, one party always devotes its
chief efforts to trying to prove that the other is unfit to rule --
and both commonly succeed and are right." --H.L. Mencken  ++  "There
is a capacity of virtue in us, and there is a capacity of vice to make
your blood creep." --Ralph Waldo Emerson  ++  "Great men can't be
ruled." --Ayn Rand  ++  "The people's good is the highest law."
--Cicero  ++  "A government that is big enough to give you all you
want is big enough to take it all away." --Barry Goldwater

______----********O********----______
UPRIGHT

"It is possible today for American students to pass through elementary
school and high school, and obtain a university degree without gaining
any appreciation for the men who founded their country." --Paul Craig
Roberts  ++  "The sole purpose of our Constitution is to define the
limited role of government in order to guarantee individual rights."
--Tom DeWeese  ++  "This is the cardinal republican [small 'r']
virtue: People helping people. And while this has always been
important, never has it been more important than in the wake of
September 11. We must pull together as a nation -- neighbors learning
how to help neighbors. And Christians ought to be in the vanguard."
--Charles Colson  {}  "The budget Mr. Bush proposed ... deserves kudos
for clarity of purpose. It is a serious budget for a serious war -- a
just war that must be fought, won and paid for." --Austin Bay  {}
"Notwithstanding the isolated pockets of international
hyper-ventilation, we do not treat the detainees in any manner other
than a manner that is humane." --Donald Rumsfeld  {}  "[W]e...need to
remember that the real enemy is a tactic -- terrorism. As the recent
bombing in Israel proves again, terrorists want to hurl their victims
into confusion and blind fear." --Tony Snow  {}  "The new laws passed
by Congress in the name of fighting terrorism pose a greater danger to
the civil liberties of American citizens than to the operations of
terrorists. Powers once assumed are never relinquished, just as
bureaucracies, once created, never die." --Charley Reese  {}
"...[C]onservatives are vulnerable to being destroyed by unethical
behavior because we emphasize personal moral responsibility. A
conservative with significant moral failings is shocking because
individual responsibility is the point of most everything we fight
for." --Rabbi Daniel Lapin  ++  "For some reason, we got the mentality
along the way that conservatism was about leaders -- and it never was.
It was always about the grass roots, about people who had decided to
move for themselves and then created the leaders who corresponded to
their needs." --Alan Keyes  {}  "Stripped of its halo, campaign
finance reform is the Washington elites' way of enhancing their power:
the media elites, by enlarging their importance in politics; the
incumbent pols, by strengthening their incumbency." --R. Emmett
Tyrrell, Jr.  ++  "The self-financed fat cat would have a clear
advantage over the local citizen who works hard to build support for a
campaign for elected office." --Rep. J.C. Watts {}  "According to the
media elites' rulebook, when liberals rant it's called free speech;
when conservatives rant it's called incitement to terrorism."
--Bernard Goldberg  {}  "[T]he choice for the judge who believes the
death penalty to be immoral is resignation, rather than simply
ignoring duly enacted constitutional laws and sabotaging the death
penalty." --Justice Antonin Scalia  {}  "It's...not fair that the tax
dollars of citizens and legal immigrants must subsidize -- and hence
reward -- the college tuition of students who entered the country
illegally." --Debra Saunders  {}  "The left doesn't love success; it
loves victimhood. You can never do enough...for victims." --Bill
Murchison  {}  "Does the ACLU ever complain when the teachings of
Islam are glorified in public schools?" --David Limbaugh  {}
"[I]nstead of creating...sitcoms with the warmth and spirit of 'The
Dick Van Dyke Show' or dramas as clever as 'The Rockford Files' --
shows still popular decades later -- cable instead has chosen to flush
positive values down the commode." --Brent Bozell  {}  "Imagine Ronald
Reagan reading a poll to tell him what to think." --Peggy Noonan

______----********O********----______
EDITORIAL EXEGESIS

"Not that Mr. Bush doesn't have skeptics (of the faith-based
initiative) on his own team.  Whereas the left objects to funding
anything that isn't a federal bureaucracy, many on the right worry
that federal funding will transform religious charities INTO
bureaucracies -- and there is more than enough precedent with, say,
Catholic Charities and Lutheran Services in America, to make this a
legitimate concern." --Wall Street Journal

And one more for the air...

"A 59-year-old executive on a Delta Air Lines flight to Salt Lake City
was charged with interfering with a flight crew after he allegedly
stood up and went to the lavatory within 30 minutes of landing,
despite a rule adopted for the Olympics that limits such movements by
passengers. He faces up to 20 years in prison and a fine up to
$250,000 if convicted of the charge, according to authorities. [A]
flight attendant who saw him leaving the restroom told him to return
to his seat immediately and felt [the passenger], who is 6 feet 2
inches tall and weighs 220 pounds, 'was attempting to intimidate her'
when he stood and stared at her. The [arrest] affidavit said he
returned to his seat after 'approximately a minute' and, according to
a sky marshal on the plane, gave a 'thumbs up,' which the agent viewed
as a hand signal to another passenger. After the incident, sky
marshals took control of the cabin and ordered passengers to put their
hands on their heads for the rest of the flight." --Wall Street
Journal

______----********O********----______
WORTH REPEATING

"Most late-term abortions are performed in the womb by killing the
fetus with a saline solution, injecting potassium chloride into the
heart or by dismembering it. But Christ Hospital [Oak Lawn, IL] uses a
method called induced-labor abortion, in which labor is induced weeks
before a child is viable outside the womb.  Those who are born alive
are simply left to die. Despite all the publicity, it is still
practiced, [former Christ Hospital
nurse Jill Stanek says].  'I knew of at least two deliveries in 2001
who were healthy,' she says. 'One little girl aborted last spring was
23 weeks [past conception].  She weighed a pound. She began breathing
on her own, but she was never given any medical attention.  She lived
for 2 1/2 hours in the labor and delivery department after never
having been seen by any neonatal doctors.' Mrs. Stanek first protested
the hospital's policy in May 1999 after she discovered a boy weighing
half a pound lying on a counter in a utility room.
The infant had been aborted in the 21st week of pregnancy because he
had
Down syndrome. The nurse discovered that no one else wanted to touch
the child; the parents did not want to hold him and the rest of the
hospital staff had no time.  As she held him, the 10-inch-long boy
gasped for breath for another 45 minutes until his underdeveloped
lungs expired. ... Today, some infants who survive abortion at Christ
Hospital are taken to a 'comfort room.'  'It has pretty wallpaper, and
a rocking chair in a corner to rock these babies to death,' Mrs.
Stanek says." --Washington Times

You may contact Larry Roy, MD, Pediatric Program Director for Christ
Medical Center at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

______----********O********----______
DEZINFORMATSIA

This week's "Leftmedia Busters" Award: "Unfortunately, the media elite
in our society have, for the most part, become so insular and out of
touch with their audience that they believe that as long as they have
the approval of their fellow elites, the rest of us don't matter. It
is simply assumed that any worthwhile person must share their
ideology." --Sterling Rome, assistant to CBS's ur-talkinghead Walter
Cronkite  {}  A "Really Big Spike" Award: National Public Radio
reportedly succumbed to pressure from the Islamic group American Arab
Action Network in 1998, blacklisting terrorism expert Steven Emerson,
who was at that time warning that Muslim extremists were a real danger
to the U.S. Emerson says NPR "has allowed radical Muslim 'leaders' to
have their say while ignoring the same leaders' statements and
activities in support of Hamas, Hezbollah, and Islamic Jihad." **And
if taxpayer-financed NPR had treated Emerson's warnings seriously, do
you suppose the chances of averting 9-11 would have been better?  {}
This week's "Clintonista Media Sycophant" Award: "Now, there are
plenty of people who have argued with it, but I think the fact that
someone has told a lie, even a big lie or maybe several big lies over
a lifetime, does not mean that they're an inherently dishonest person.
But, you know, this may mark me as one of those people -- I believe in
redemption and that Bill Clinton -- is he an honest person? I think he
is an honest person. Did he lie? Yes, he lied, and on those occasions
he was dishonest. ...But I don't have any argument with anyone who
wants to say, 'Well, Dan, I think you've made a mistake.' My answer to
that is, 'Man, I've made a lot of mistakes over my lifetime'." --Dan
Rather **Oh, really?  {}  This week's "Bryant Gumball" Award: "But we
have to also be careful and draw a line not to let our patriotism get
in the way of the games in general." --Matt Lauer on why American
patriotism is detrimental to the Olympic games

______----********O********----______
SOCIOCRATS

"At a time when our entire country is banding together and facing down
individualism, the Patriots set a wonderful example, showing us all
what is possible when we work together, believe in each other, and
sacrifice for the greater good." --Demo Sen. Ted Kennedy, praising the
New England Patriots footballers for winning the Super Bowl by "facing
down individualism." **Funny, we noticed all those guys wore
"uniforms" but we thought sure they all had different names and
numbers on their backs!  {}  "I do think that the ads that -- I gather
-- the RNC, Republican National Committee, and other, independent
groups have been running against Tom, particularly in his home state
of South Dakota, are really over the edge." --Joseph LIEberman **Keep
on gathering, Joe  {} This week's "Las Clintonista Leftovers" Award:
"The only problem I have [with being a U.S. Senator] is there's simply
no down time.  For me. For friends.  To maybe have a day with the
girls to just laugh or treat myself to a gossipy lunch or go to a spa
with them for an afternoon." --Sen. Ms. Hillary Rodham-Clinton

______----********O********----______
VILLAGE IDIOTS

This week's "Ignarus Perpetuus" Award: "Under God." --Words jarringly
missing from the partially quoted Pledge of Allegiance reprinted on Dr
Pepper's "patriot cans" of soda.  {} This week's "Hyper-Hypocrisy"
Award: "The reason that the World Trade Center got hit is because
there are a lot of people living in abject poverty out there who don't
have any hope for a better life." --Ted Turner at Brown University
**Assuming, as Ted must, that then material world is all that could
constitute "a better life." ++  Asked moments later if he would allow
public access to his vast landholdings in Montana, Turner replied:
"Can I live in your home with you? We believe in private property in
this country." **No room for the impoverished masses on Ted's
playground!  {}  This week's "Leftpinkie" Award: "The right wing
benefited so much from September 11 that, if I were still a
conspiratorialist, I would believe they'd done it." --Norman Mailer
++  This week's "Village Victimitis" Award: "Why pick on us? There's
lots of other illegals in the country." --Kahlil E. Jahshan, Vice
President of the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, on plans
to deport from the U.S. illegal aliens of Middle Eastern origin.
**Could be that 9-11 thing....  ++  From the "Village Academic
Curriculum" File: The terrorist attacks of 9-11 are now official
subjects for university instruction! A sampling: "Terrorism and
Sexuality" at California State University at Hayward describes wars as
a form of "eroticism" for those "patriarchs" who fight them. Professor
Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, formerly active with domestic terror groups
Students for a Democratic Society and the Weather Underground, says,
"I have no obligation to be loyal to any government that I don't feel
is just -- free speech is free speech." The course description for
UCLA's "Terrorism and the Politics of Knowledge" says the class
reviews the U.S. "record of imperialistic adventurism."

______----********O********----______
SHORT CUTS

"Today's question. What is the difference between Al Qaeda and
Congress? Today's answer: Al Qaeda plans attacks while Congress plans
a tax." --Lyn Nofziger  {}  "Alas 'tis true -- campaign finance reform
is again in danger of being passed in Congress where our elected
representatives admit that they cannot be trusted with the money they
raise. So weak is their probity that they fear financial supporters
will turn them into willing tools if they accept 'soft money,' and
possibly even 'hard money.' What they might do with counterfeit money
is apparently too diabolical to mention." --R. Emmett Tyrrell, Jr.  {}
"If I wanted reporters with cosmetic enhancements, I would watch Sam
Donaldson." --Mark Russell  {}  "Left Without A Cent: A liberal's like
to be lax/ When recommending a tax./ With a glut in his heart/ And his
brain low a quart,/ He will give you the shirts off our backs!" --F.R.
Duplantier  {}  "Symbolism you have to explain is too much symbolism."
--John Allen in the comic strip "Nest Heads"  {}  "When the Titanic
was in its death throes, with the propellers sticking straight up into
the air, there was a stock analyst clinging to a railing, asking
people around him where he could buy a ticket for the return trip."
--Dave Barry  {}  "We've got a ministry in waiting for the protection
of virtue and prevention of vice in America, and it's alive, well, and
already practicing a venomous hatred for all that displeases. The
political correctness running amok in America...." --Wesley Pruden

Jay Leno.... The Olympics have started! There were 77 countries
represented in the Parade of Nations, including India. There was one
person on the Indian team, one person, and India has a billion people!
Think of the pressure that guy must be under! Mexico brought four
competitors to the games. Good luck getting them to go home after the
games. There was one embarrassing moment during the ceremony when the
Germans came walking in. They kept on walking and they now occupy
Idaho and Montana. There were over 1,000 security guards at the
ceremony -- and that was just to keep Tonya Harding out! There are
more troops in Salt Lake City than there are in Afghanistan. This is
true. Can you believe that? Hey, why do we have to compete? We've got
the men there, let's just take all the medals! Over a quarter million
condoms will be handed out at the Olympics. I don't want to know what
event that's for!

David Letterman.... Top Taliban Complaints About Camp X-Ray: "Three
meals a day and none of them are goat"  " 'Death to America' T-shirts
only come in cotton/poly blend"  "Can't get used to this whole warm
bed, cooked food, running water thing" "Lying American propaganda
makes it seem like Taliban is losing" "Television only gets one
channel and it's CBS" "Achmed totally stole my skit idea for camp
talent show" "Haven't gotten one X-ray" "Just because you're a bearded
nut in Cuba everyone assumes you know Fidel" "Dude in next cell keeps
bragging he used to be head of Enron"

Argus Hamilton.... President Bush opened the Winter Olympics in Utah
Friday night. Everyone was frisked as they entered a stadium ringed
with troops and patrolled overhead by F-16 fighters. The president
wanted to show the world that the terrorists didn't win.  ....  Hare
Krishna congregations across the United States announced Thursday they
will be forced to enter Chapter 11 bankruptcy this coming week. How do
you like that? At last, the airport security measures are starting to
show some results.  ....  CIA Director George Tenet testified before
the U.S. Senate about the threat of terrorism. He warned that al Qaeda
is planning attacks on U.S. landmarks, buildings, and airports. Some
guys are always the last to get the word.  ....  Arthur Andersen CEO
Joe Beradino said he didn't see Enron's collapse coming. He saw the
books, looked at the off-balance-sheet debt and thought all was well.
With that track record, it's just a matter of time before he goes from
CEO to CIA.  ....  Senator Byrd of West Virginia broke down in the
Senate Friday describing how poor he was as a child. Nevertheless, he
descends from English nobility. It's a well-known fact that Robert
Byrd is the direct descendant of the Duke of Hazzard.  ....  Hillary
Clinton will host a big money fund-raiser for Iowa's governor. It set
off alarm bells at the White House. Just the mention of Clinton, big
money, and Iowa in the same sentence gives Republicans an Axis of Evil
they can all agree upon.  ....  Virginia moved Friday to require the
Ten Commandments to be posted in all classrooms. Its constitutionality
sparked debate in the Senate. Hillary Clinton is not opposed to the
Ten Commandments, but she's not exactly married to the idea, either.

(**) Denotes Editor's Comment

-- PUBLIUS  --

Write to same address to be off lists!