-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

What Is a Conservative?
By Chuck Baldwin
February 15, 2002

A reader from California recently took me to task for one of my columns. She
said, "Not every liberal is non-religious. Many are very good Christians."
She went on to say, "[Homosexuality] is a state of being - not necessarily a
behavior. Many homosexuals are very religious and spiritual people."
Obviously, there is nothing particularly revealing about those sentiments; I
hear them all the time. What is noteworthy is the way she concluded her
letter. After her name and city, she signed off with a P.S. It said, "I am a
thinking, independent CONSERVATIVE." (Emphasis added.)

Now let me get this straight. A conservative today is one who believes that
people who think it is alright to kill innocent, unborn babies and who want
to take away my Second Amendment right to own and carry a firearm (liberals,
in other words) are "very good Christians." Furthermore, conservatives today
believe that people who think sexual perversion is normal and healthy
(liberals, in other words) are "very good Christians." Did somebody change
the dictionary when I was not looking?

It seems that to be identified as a "conservative" today means something
very contrary to what it used to mean. Consider the fact that President Bush
can submit a budget that escalates federal spending to record levels
(including an education budget that expands federal encroachment into
education in ways Bill Clinton could only dream about). He can support
limited stem cell research (which turns human embryos into guinea pigs) and
can even promote activist homosexuals to high positions of government and
still be called a "conservative."

Then again, perhaps by today's definition, both Bush and my California
reader ARE conservatives. My Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary
defines a conservative as: "1. conserving or tending to conserve;
preservative. 2. tending to preserve old institutions, methods, customs, and
the like; adhering to what is old or established; opposing or resisting
change."

Consider with me now what are the "old institutions, methods, and customs."
What is the "established" order that "conservatives" resist changing? For
one thing, the institution of abortion is firmly established, and, yes,
"conservatives" resist changing it. The social and political acceptance of
sodomy is firmly established, and, again, "conservatives" resist changing
it. A political course heading directly toward internationalism is also
firmly established, and, once more, "conservatives" resist changing it. It
appears that "resisting change" is the perfect description of
 "conservatives" today. Yes, it would seem that both Bush and my California
reader are "conservatives," at least by the new definition.

That leads to the question, "What are people called who believe in limited
government, the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, individual liberty,
and state sovereignty?" What does one call people who believe that the
federal government has no business in education or law enforcement? What do
we call people who believe abortion-on-demand is premeditated murder and
that sodomy is fornication squared?

When we are able to properly identify and organize those people, we can
begin the process of setting America's house in order. Until then, modern
"conservatives" and liberals alike will continue to run the ship of state
into the ground.

Write to same address to be off lists!