-Caveat Lector-

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/coulter.html

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

The Robert C. Byrd Bridge to Poverty
By Ann Coulter

http://www.NewsAndOpinion.com -- THE poor's sense of class superiority over
the rich is getting out of hand.

At a Senate Budget Committee hearing last week, Sen. Robert Byrd, who was
named after a bridge in West Virginia, viciously attacked Treasury Secretary
Paul O'Neill for having made a success of himself. Claiming to speak for
worthless layabouts, Byrd snippily informed O'Neill: "They're not CEOs of
multibillion-dollar corporations. ... In time of need, they come to us, the
people come to us."

Evidently what the people-in-need are asking for is a lot of federal projects
named after Senator Byrd.

Some items funded by taxpayers -- but still somehow named after "Robert C.
Byrd" -- are: The Robert C. Byrd Highway; the Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam;
the Robert C. Byrd Institute; the Robert C. Byrd Life Long Learning Center;
the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program; the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank
Telescope; the Robert C. Byrd Institute for Advanced Flexible Manufacturing;
the Robert C. Byrd Federal Courthouse; the Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences
Center; the Robert C. Byrd Academic and Technology Center; the Robert C. Byrd
United Technical Center; the Robert C. Byrd Federal Building; the Robert C.
Byrd Drive; the Robert C. Byrd Hilltop Office Complex; the Robert C. Byrd
Library; the Robert C. Byrd Learning Resource Center; the Robert C. Byrd
Rural Health Center.

And then it got late, and I had to stop researching. But it appears that
every slab of concrete in West Virginia is named after Bob Byrd.

Really warming to his class-envy tirade, the King Tut of the Senate further
informed O'Neill: "I haven't walked in any corporate boardrooms. I haven't
had to turn any millions of dollars into trust accounts. I wish I had those
millions of dollars." Instead, Byrd had to scrape by with billions of dollars
forcibly extracted from the taxpayers to build grotesque banana republic
tributes to himself.

At least the money O'Neill "turn(ed) into trust accounts" came from his own
pocket. Coincidentally, the money Byrd turned into eponymous monuments also
came from O'Neill's pocket. A humble display of gratitude might have been
more appropriate.

An astonished O'Neill responded to the harangue: "I started my life in a
house without water or electricity. So I don't cede to you the high moral
ground of not knowing what life is like in a ditch."

And then the hearing spun totally out of control as Senator Tut redoubled his
own sob story: "Well, Mr. Secretary, I lived in a house without electricity,
too, no running water, no telephone, a little wooden outhouse." (Though Byrd
was manifestly enamored of these fascinating particulars of his life story,
he unaccountably skipped the part about his youthful membership in the Ku
Klux Klan.)

When did a lack of money and accomplishment become a mark of virtue? Some
rich people may be swine, but so are some poor people. A lot of rich people
work harder, are more creative, and are a lot nicer than the poor. Paul
O'Neill was never in the Klan. Paul O'Neill never filched taxpayers'
hard-earned money to build a vast complex of shrines to himself.

More perplexingly, when did a scoundrel whose only source of capital comes
from other people's paychecks assume the "high ground" over a rich man who
dispersed paychecks? O'Neill is rich, I'm not, oh well. At least he didn't
dip into my earnings.

Every society must have concentrations of wealth in order to build and
create. Even the Soviet Union of beloved memory had concentrations of wealth
-- but it was in the government, rather than in corporations. It's called
capital. Capital is needed to launch society's most important projects --
factories, inventions, bridges, skyscrapers and telescopes named after Bob
Byrd.

O'Neill's concentration of money came to him through the voluntary decisions
of investors and consumers. Byrd's far larger concentration of money came to
him by force. Send in half your paycheck to the government or go to jail.

The specious core of the liberal mantra on tax cuts -- "tax cuts for the
rich" -- is that unless taxes are cut across the board, it never happens. As
loaded Hollywood liberals are always reminding us, they don't "need" a tax
cut. The rich we shall always have with us, kind of like the poor. At least
conservatives defend the right of middle-class people to keep their money,
too.

The only rich people deserving of malice are rich liberals who express
bemusement at the non-rich's desire for a tax cut. They want the middle class
to pay more in taxes and use the lumpen poor as a battering ram against these
hated, acquisitive, coupon-clipping climbers.

Despite his maudlin self-flattery, Robert Byrd and the rest of his party
don't resent the rich on behalf of the poor. They resent the rich on behalf
of the government. There may still be a toilet in West Virginia that is not
yet named for Bob Byrd.

Write to same address to be off lists!