-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

National Alliance of Families
For The Return of America's Missing Servicemen
World War II - Korea - Cold War - Vietnam - Gulf War

Dolores Alfond - 425-881-1499
Lynn O'Shea --- 718-846-4350
Web Site http://www.nationalalliance.org
email -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

February 9, 2002      Bits N Pieces

We Extend Our Deepest Sympathy To The Families Of Our Servicemen and
Women
Who Have Lost Their Lives In America's War On Terrorism.
We Honor Those Servicemen and Women Who Serve Our Country.
################

The National Alliance of Families mourns the passing of Matthew Carr,
brother
of POW/MIA Donald Carr.  Matthew passed in December.

The National Alliance of Families mourns the passing, on January 20th,
of
POW/MIA advocate Lillian Roberts of Hobart, Indiana.

To the Carr and Roberts' families we offer our deepest sympathy.
#################

457 South Korean POWs Believed To Be Alive In North - from the Korea
Herald,
January 18th, "The Defense Ministry said yesterday that 457 former South
Korean soldiers are being held in North Korea after being captured by
communist forces during the Korean War (1950-53)."We have secured a list
of
457 South Korean prisoners of war (POWs) believed to be alive in the
North,"
a ministry spokesman said."

"The number is an increase from 385, which the ministry tallied in July
last
year. A total of 23 South Korean POWs have returned home after fleeing
the
North since 1994, including six last year, the official said.  An
interagency
task force met Wednesday to review the government measures on POWs,
including
the legal status of POWs remaining in the North. The South's POWs in the
North are considered deceased, and their families are granted government
assistance. The official said their legal status will not be changed
until
they are confirmed alive upon their return to South Korean territory."
The
government will continue efforts to trace the POWs in the North and have
all
of them repatriated, and assist returned POWs in the South in accordance
with
law," the official said.  The task force first convened in January in
1999
and held the sixth meeting this week.  In 2000, Seoul repatriated more
than
60 former North Korean spies and soldiers following the inter-Korean
summit
in June. But the North returned none of the South Korean POWs or others
believed to have been abducted."
#################

Make That 456 - The 24th South Korean POW Held By North Korea Escapes -
from
the Associated Press, February 1, 2002, "Seoul, South Korea (AP) - A
former
South Korean soldier who was captured by communist forces during the
1950-53
Korean War has returned home after fleeing the North, the government
said
Friday."

"Kim Jong-wan, 73, was among 13 people who arrived recently in South
Korea
after escaping from North Korea, said the National Intelligence  Service
in a
news release. The others were North Korean citizens, and two will be
reunited
with family members who had already fled to the South."

"The man was taken prisoner during a battle in central Korea during the
1950-53 war. He spent most of his life working at a coal mine in the
North
before escaping in December, the agency said. It did not reveal other
details, such as the former soldier's escape route.  Most North Korean
defectors arrive via China. But South Korean authorities usually do not
identify China out of respect for that  country's relations with North
Korea."

"Over the years, 24 South Korean POWs have returned home after fleeing
the
North. South Korea believes North Korea still holds 300 South Korean
soldiers captured during the war. Pyongyang denies it . . . "
###############

U.S. Navy At Cam Ranh Bay??? - Dateline Hanoi, from the  Associated
Press,
February 2, 2002, By David Thurber - "The United States is interested in
closer military ties with former enemy Vietnam, including visits by U.S.
Navy
ships, the commander of American forces in the Pacific said Saturday."

"Admiral Dennis Blair, commander in chief of the U.S. Pacific Command,
said
military ties between the countries still focus on their past war,
including
attempts to account for personnel listed as missing in action.  "I think
it's
time to transition and look more toward the future," he said.  Blair,
the
first recent Pacific commander in chief who did not fight in Vietnam,
met
in
Hanoi with Vietnamese Defense Minister Pham Van Tra  and other
military officials . . . "

"... Blair described this week's visit, his first, as productive. "I
think
we're moving in a positive direction in military relations," he said.
Deputy
Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung said Blair's visit was "an important
step in accelerating the multifaceted cooperation between Vietnam and
the
U.S.," the official Vietnam News Agency reported."

"Overall ties between the nations, although strained by periodic
disagreements over human rights, have warmed since the approval in
December
of an agreement establishing normal trade ties. Washington agreed to
lower
its high tariffs on Vietnamese products, while Hanoi  pledged to allow
foreign companies to compete on more equal terms with its state-owned
enterprises."

"Blair said closer cooperation is possible in fighting terrorism,
narcotics,
international crime, piracy, and in humanitarian assistance  and
international peacekeeping. He said he expressed a U.S. interest in
possible
visits by American naval ships to Cam Ranh Bay, a former  American base
that
Russia has leased since the Vietnam War but will relinquish this
year..."

"...Blair said the United States has no plans to wind down attempts to
account for about 2,000 Americans still listed as missing in action in
Indochina, including about 1,470 in Vietnam.  "The commitment to pursue
all
possible leads remains the same," he said. Time is running out because
memories by witnesses are fading more
than 25 years after the war, he said.  The MIA program was temporarily
suspended last year after the crash April
7 of a helicopter carrying a search team. All seven Americans and nine
Vietnamese on board were killed.  The crash was attributed to pilot
error
compounded by deteriorating weather conditions...."

Contradictions  - regarding past relations with Vietnam Admiral Blair
said
"I think it's time to transition and look more toward the future,"

Regarding the missing, no mention of POWs he said   "The commitment to
pursue
all possible leads remains the same."

Which is it - Transition or Commitment and were have we heard the word
"transition" before.  Hint: check the "Strategic Plan" briefing slides.
##############

>From   Reuters, February 2, 2002 - The two sides discussed the
possibility of
U.S. ships being allowed to dock at
the strategic Cam Ranh Bay port in central Vietnam.  "The U.S. is very
interested in having different arrangements in this part of the world,"
Blair
said, but added that the talks were only in general terms. "Anything
specific
will have to come in the future." Cam Ranh Bay has for decades been
leased
by
Russia and is considered one of the most crucial deep-water ports in the
region. Russia has decided to withdraw from the base from this year
before
the rent-free lease expires in 2004."
###############

Long Range Planning - From Bits N Pieces March 2000- From the Associated
Press - by Jeff Barker "It has been a while  since U.S. serviceman
shipped
out for the giant base at Cam Ranh Bay, but it could happen again if
relations between the countries continue to warm says a congressman who
met
with top Vietnamese officials..."

"...the possibility was raised informally at a forum... attended by
several
congressmen and a group of top officials of Vietnam's Communist
government...."

>From the Washington Post - by Thomas E. Ricks dateline  Ho Chi Minh City,
Vietnam -  "...Cohen did not bury American or Vietnamese memories of the
"American War," which is being remembered here in celebrations that will
peak
at the end of April. But his visit probably did a lot to ensure  that
the
next time a U.S. defense secretary comes to Vietnam, the subjects on his
agenda will be joint U.S.-Vietnamese projects, such as demining border
areas,
and perhaps even having a U.S. Navy ship pull  into Cam Ranh Bay."

"There's a willingness to forget about the past--or, I should say,  to
not
dwell on the past," Cohen said in summarizing his talks in Hanoi,  the
capital, and Ho Chi Minh City."

Both articles mention the possibility of U.S. ships sailing into Cam
Ranh
Bay.  So, what is the difference between the AP article and the
Washington
Post article?  The AP article was published in the New York Daily News
on
April 9th, 1990 , almost 10 years ago (now it's 12 year.)  The Post
article
was published  March 23, 2000.

 There has always been an agenda but it is not POWs.
################

Korean War POW/MIA Identified - From the Washington Times, February 1st,
by
Matthew Cella - " The remains of a U.S. Marine missing since the Korean
War
will be laid to rest today at Arlington National Cemetery."

"Radar operator Sgt. James V. Harrell's plane disappeared while
returning
base May 30, 1953, after escorting a convoy of B-29s on a bombing run in
North Korea. His remains were found last summer on a beach just miles
from
the base in Kunsan, South Korea..."

"...Sgt. Harrell - who was 21 when he was lost - was described as a
prankster, a religious and patriotic young man who joined the Marines
out
of
high school.  "I'm greatly relieved because we're going to give him the
honors he's due," said Sgt. Harrell's close friend and squadron mate Ron
Stout, of Burien, Wash., who will be at today's ceremony. "It's an
article
of
faith among Marines that you bring your dead home...."

"...According to the Department of Defense, 88,000 U.S. service members
are
missing in action from all conflicts. The pilot of Sgt. Harrell's plane,
Capt. Brown, remains one of them."
##################

Vermont's Governor Searches For Brother - From the Associated Press, by
Christopher Graff - "Charles Dean had just graduated from college  and
wanted
to see the world.  After more than a year on the road, with Japan,
Australia
and  Indonesia behind him, he and a friend decided to head north from
Laos
to Nepal. They never made it: they were stopped at a checkpoint by
Laotian
communist insurgents, arrested and later killed."

"Nearly 30 years later, Vermont Gov. Howard Dean is seeking his
brother's
remains. In another step in his family's long and painful odyssey to
unravel
the mysteries behind the capture and death, he will travel next week to
remote section of Laos where the body is believed to be buried."

"Dean said Wednesday he hopes his trip will help "begin closure" for his
own
family as well as for the families of the other 400 Americans still
unaccounted for in Laos. "I recognize it may be pretty heavy duty
emotionally
for me," he said. "But there are a lot of families in our position and
it
may
be that what I am doing can help them, as well as my own family."   The
governor will leave Sunday and travel to Japan and Thailand  before
arriving
in Vientiane, the capital of Laos, two days later. From there he will
travel
by helicopter to a base camp being used by the task forces leading the
excavations."

"Charles Dean, a 24-year-old graduate of the University of North
Carolina,
and Neil Sharman of Australia were arrested in Laos by the Pathet Lao, a
left-wing nationalist group that fought the U.S.-supported government in
the
1960s and early 1970s before  winning control of the country in 1975."

"The two men were detained Sept. 4, 1974, while traveling down the
Mekong
River, and held in a small, remote prison camp. Authorities believe they
were
killed Dec. 14 while being driven toward Vietnam  by their captors."

"Either he tried to escape or they just executed him," said Dean, who is
unsure why his brother traveled to Laos and whether the  Vietnamese or
Pathet
Lao was responsible for his death. Charles Dean, although a civilian, is
considered by the U.S. government to  have been a prisoner of war..."

"...Dean's visit will be his first, although both his mother and father
made
trips in 1974 and 1975 to push for the release of their son.  The trip
grew
out of an exchange of letters Dean had with the Defense Department in
which
he expressed concern that the planned    excavation of the possible
burial
site was being delayed."

"In addition, he said his family's desire for action increased
following
the
death last year of his father, Howard Dean Sr. "It would have been very
difficult for me to go while my father was alive," said the governor.
"It
has
been very hard for everybody, but  it was very, very difficult for him."

"Using information gathered from informants, mostly Lao, the  government
has
worked for the past 30 years to piece together likely sites where
Americans
are buried or where planes or helicopters carrying Americans may have
crashed. It has not been easy because much of the U.S. war effort in
Laos,
aimed primarily at cutting off        communist Vietnamese supply lines
that
ran through the country, was secret."

"We were bombing the hell out of them," said Dean. "We were denying  we
were
bombing them while they were denying they were holding any  American
prisoners."

"But through informal networks, the family learned in March or April
1975
that Charles Dean was dead. Since then the family has worked with the
Defense
Department and others to determine how and where he died."

"A new effort by the joint task force to interview locals late in 2000
provided the most reliable information to date: That Dean and  Sharman
had
been taken by truck and killed a few miles shy of the  Vietnamese border
along Route 8. It is there that Dean will travel.    He is hopeful his
efforts will prompt an excavation by the            American-led team
this
summer.  "That would be the ultimate closure," he said. "
#############

Dean and Sharman - A Project X Case - The following appeared in the
August
16
1997 edition of Bits N Pieces.

"In the October 1995 edition of Bits 'N' Pieces you read about "Project
X."
For those unfamiliar with "Project X," (DPMO PAY ATTENTION) it was a
study
initiated in 1975 to evaluate the possibility of American POWs alive in
Southeast Asia.  The study ended in 1976.  Its conclusion -- their was a
possibility that 57 American servicemen could be alive in Southeast Asia
in
1976...."

".... American Charles Dean and Australian Neil Sharman were civilian
tourists in Laos when they disappeared in 1974.  The "Project X"
Rationale
for Selection reads: "Source reports indicate that at Mr. Dean was in
fact
detained by the Pathet Lao.  There have been no correlated reports of
his
death subsequent to the many reports of Mr. Dean's detention."

"Many reports of  Mr. Dean's detention"  you bet!  In preparation for a
visit
by Laos Peoples Democratic Republic (LPDR) Officials, to JCRC and CIL
the
Pentagon Operations Directorate initiated message traffic dated 25
October
1988.  Directed to the Commander JCRC the message stated "... In early
September 1974, Charles Dean and Neil Sharman departed Vientiane, Laos
and
boarded a boat bound for Thakhek.  Reports indicate that while enroute
Thakhek, they were captured by the Pathet Lao at the Ban Pak Hin
(unreadable)
checkpoint, vicinity coordinates VE580400.  After capture, they were
brought
upriver by boat to Ran Thong Lom where they were held for a short
period."

"Generally, all the informants who reported sighting Dean and Sharman
after
this time agree that the two were subsequently taken to Ban Phontan Kham
Keut
area for detention, and they probably arrived there about mid-September
1974."

"Two informants stated Dean and Sharman had given them their
photographs.
One informant did have a confirmed photo of each of the two detainees in
his
possession at the time he provided his information.  On the back of one
photograph was writing in english which read: "Charles Dean, 1035 Park
Ave.,
New York; USA." On the back of the other photo "Nio Sa Man, Australia"
was
written by the informant.... According to these informants, Dean and
Sharman
were still alive at Ban Phontan on 16 November 1974...."

"...Five informants allege to have seen Dean and Sharman at Ban
Photan...
According to each of the sources, Dean and Sharman were still at Ban
Phontan
on 25 November 1974."

" In February 1975, another informant reported that he had observed the
interrogation sessions held with Dean and Sharman.... He stated that he
had
not personally observed Dean and Sharman at Ban Phontan since early
November
1974 and he had been told that the two detainees had been taken to Sam
Neua
in mid December 1974...."
"Four informants stated that they saw Dean and Sharman in a truck that
briefly stopped at Ban Naliang, ... on December 1974....

One of these informants was also in possession of photographs of Dean
and
Sharman that he said were given to him by the detainees...."

"...Other informants indicates that Dean and Sharman were seen at Ban
Phontan
during January and February 1975.... One of these informants claimed he
observed two caucasians at Ban Phontan on 23 February 1975.  His report
provided the most current reliable information concerning the status of
Dean
and Sharman."

A heavily censored Central Intelligence Agency report expands on the 23
February 1975 sighting stating "A source whose evidence was
substantiated
[word or words censored] stated he had seen Dean and Sharman in Ban Phon
Tan
on 23 February 1975."

Note: all towns and locations are spelled as they appear in the quoted
reports.
############

According to the AP article by Christopher Graff "Authorities believe
they
were killed Dec. 14 while being driven toward Vietnam  by their
captors."
Yet the CIA states Dean and Sharman were seen alive on February 23rd
1975.
Regarding the source of that information the CIA stated the "evidence
was
substantiated."
#################

Archive of 1997 Bits N Pieces is now on our website at
http://pages.prodigy.net/lynnpowmia/naf97.htm
#################

After 60 years, no longer a Pearl Harbor 'unknown'    From The Honolulu
Advertiser - by Mike Gordon, Nov. 28, 2001 - "Few people have ever asked
who
was buried in grave C-258. The epitaph on the headstone on the lawn of
Punchbowl seemed enough: "Unknown, Dec. 7, 1941."

"In January, Thomas Hembree's remains; then marked as "unknown" were
disinterred from the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific for
identification."

"But now, days away from the 60th anniversary of the attack, Army
identification experts in Hawaii have solved the mystery: This was the
final
resting place of Thomas Hembree, a 17-year-old apprentice seaman from
the
seaplane tender USS Curtiss."

"His identification yesterday by the Central Identification
Laboratory-Hawaii
ends an 11-year effort by Pearl Harbor survivor Ray Emory to solve the
mystery. Forensic experts disinterred the remains from the  National
Memorial
Cemetery of the Pacific in January. No other Pearl Harbor casualty at
Punchbowl had ever been disturbed."

"On that day, they also took out three other sets of remains: one
believed
be a crewman killed on the USS Arizona during the Japanese attack and
two
killed during the Korean War.  None of those remains has been identified
yet."

"Hembree was identified using dental records and by comparing his height
and
race to the remains, said  Ginger Couden, a spokeswoman for the lab."

"Emory, an 80-year-old Kahala resident and historian for the Pearl
Harbor
Survivors Association since 1966, was ecstatic.   "You better believe
it,"
he
said yesterday. "I don't know of any World War II casualty from Pearl
Harbor
that has been identified."  He started working on this around 1990 when
he
met Hembree's sister, Helen Braidwood, a beautician from Tacoma, Wash."

"On the day of the attack, Thomas Hembree had only been at Pearl Harbor
for
seven days. He was already homesick for Kennewick, Wash. He wrote his
mother
about the beauty of Hawai'i and his hunger for action. For five months,
Elizabeth Hembree thought her son was  still alive."

"Tommy, as he was called, was the youngest of her five children. He had
blue
eyes and a cheeky smile. He was just 17 when he joined the Navy in
August
1941, following his two older brothers into service."

"Elizabeth received his homesick letter weeks after the Dec. 7 attack.
She
assumed he was safe.      Then a Navy letter arrived April 15, 1942. Her
son
was a casualty of the attack.  Elizabeth wrote back, begging for more
information. The response was horrific. All the Curtiss crewmen were
accounted for except two. Their bodies were burned beyond recognition.
Her
son was one of them. The family got a second shock in 1949. The Navy
wanted
to know if the Hembrees wanted Thomas' body returned, or  hould it be
buried
at a new national cemetery in Punchbowl crater?"

"They chose to let him rest in Punchbowl.  A few years later, a third
surprise: When Braidwood      visited the cemetery to mourn her brother
she
was told  he had been buried at sea. She accepted that until 1989 when
she
asked again."

"Although the answer was still the same, a cemetery worker called Emory
see what he knew about Hembree.   And so the quest began.  Emory had
compiled
a catalog of Pearl Harbor dead at
Punchbowl;  including the 252 graves marked "Unknown."   He had walked
the
18,093 World War II headstones,  jotting down each name. After checking
military casualty records against cemetery, he knew there were only two
sailors missing from the Curtiss: Hembree and Wilson       Albert Rice,
19-year-old seaman first class."

"He prodded lab officials for five years with his research and was there
in
January to watch them bring the remains to the surface.  It was not a
moment
he could share with Braidwood,                    however. She passed
away
in
1999, passing her search for  answers to her niece, Beth LaRosa of
Seattle.
"I'm extremely excited," LaRosa said yesterday. "There's a lot of
emotion."
                     She said the family would have to discuss what to
do
next, but it would be nice to re-bury Hembree in Punchbowl.   "We would
prefer that," she said."
#############

The National Alliance Of Families Thirteenth Annual Forum is scheduled
for
June 20th  - 22nd, 2002.   Our forum is conducted to coincide with the
Governments annual POW/MIA Family Briefings.  We urge all family members
attend this years government briefings, for Vietnam family members.
Remember the government will provide free airfare to two family members
attend the briefings.  There is no charge or registration fee to attend
the
government briefings.

Remember, the Alliance is an all volunteer organization. Our meetings
are
open to all, without charge.  At this time of year, we actively seek
contributions to finance our forum.  If you wish to contribute,
donations
may
be mailed to:

National Alliance Of Families
P.O. Box 40327
Bellevue, Wa.  98015.

Remember all contributions are tax deductible.

Write to same address to be off lists!