-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

ARTICLE 06 - Guest Column: Advice for a Superpower

By Margaret Thatcher

LONDON - "Methinks I see in my mind a noble and puissant nation rousing
herself like a strong man after sleep, and shaking her invincible locks."
Milton's words perfectly describe America today. After the horror of Sept. 11
the world has seen America gather its strength, summon its allies and proceed
to wage war halfway across the globe against its enemy - and ours.

America will never be the same again. It has proved to itself and to others
that it is in truth (not just in name) the only global superpower, indeed a
power that enjoys a level of superiority over its actual or potential rivals
unmatched by any other nation in modern times. Consequently, the world
outside America should never be the same either. There will, of course, arise
new threats from new directions. But as long as America works to maintain its
technological lead, there is no reason why any challenge to American
dominance should succeed. And that in turn will help ensure stability and
peace.

Yet, as President Bush has reminded Americans, there is no room for
complacency. America and its allies, indeed the Western world and its values,
are still under deadly threat. That threat must be eliminated, and now is the
time to act vigorously.

In many respects the challenge of Islamic terror is unique, hence the
difficulty Western intelligence services encountered trying to predict and
prevent its onslaughts. The enemy is not, of course, a religion - most
Muslims deplore what has occurred. Nor is it a single state, though this form
of terrorism needs the support of states to give it succor. Perhaps the best
parallel is with early Communism. Islamic extremism today, like Bolshevism in
the past, is an armed doctrine. It is an aggressive ideology promoted by
fanatical, well-armed devotees. And, like Communism, it requires an
all-embracing long-term strategy to defeat it.

The first phase of that strategy had to be a military assault on the enemy in
Afghanistan, a phase that is now approaching its end. I believe that while
the new interim government there deserves support, the United States is right
not to allow itself to become bogged down with ambitious nation-building in
that treacherous territory. Some would disagree, arguing that the lesson of
the present crisis is that neglect of failed states causes terrorism. But
this is trite. It implies a level of global interventionism that almost
everyone recognizes is quite impractical.

The more important lesson is that the West failed to act early and strongly
enough against Al Qaeda and the regime that harbored it. And because there is
always a choice in where you concentrate international efforts, it is best
that the United States, as the only global military superpower, deploy its
energies militarily rather than on social work. Trying to promote civil
society and democratic institutions in Afghanistan is best left to others -
and since those "others" now include the British, I only hope that we, too,
are going to be realistic about what can (and cannot) be achieved.

The second phase of the war against terrorism should be to strike at other
centers of Islamic terror that have taken root in Africa, Southeast Asia and
elsewhere. This will require first-rate intelligence, shrewd diplomacy and a
continued extensive military commitment. Our enemies have had years to
entrench themselves, and they will not be dislodged without fierce and bloody
resistance.

The third phase is to deal with those hostile states that support terrorism
and seek to acquire or trade in weapons of mass destruction. We have gotten
into the habit of calling them "rogue" states. There is nothing wrong with
that, as long as we don't fall into the trap of imagining that they will
always and on every issue fit into the same slot.

For example, Iran and Syria were both sharply critical of Osama bin Laden,
the Taliban and the attacks of Sept. 11. Nevertheless, they are both enemies
of Western values and interests. Both have energetically backed terrorism:
the former has just been caught out dispatching arms to foment violence
against Israel. Iran is also making strides toward developing long-range
missiles that could be armed with nuclear warheads.

Other critics of Sept. 11 are a menace, too. Libya, for example, still hates
the West and would dearly like revenge against us. And Sudan undertakes
genocide against its own citizens in the name of Islam. As for North Korea,
the regime of Kim Jong Il is as mad as ever and is the world's main
proliferator of long-range ballistic missiles that can deliver nuclear,
chemical or biological warheads.

The most notorious rogue is, without doubt, Saddam Hussein -proof if ever we
needed it that yesterday's unfinished business becomes tomorrow's headache.
Saddam Hussein will never comply with the conditions we demand of him. His
aim is, in fact, quite clear: to develop weapons of mass destruction so as to
challenge us with impunity.

How and when, not whether, to remove him are the only important questions.
Again, solving this problem will demand the best available intelligence. It
will require, as in Aghanistan, the mobilization of internal resistance. It
will probably also involve a massive use of force. America's allies, above
all Britain, should extend strong support to President Bush in the decisions
he makes on Iraq.

The events of Sept. 11 are a terrible reminder that freedom demands eternal
vigilance. And for too long we have not been vigilant. We have harbored those
who hated us, tolerated those who threatened us and indulged those who
weakened us. As a result, we remain, for example, all but defenseless against
ballistic missiles that could be launched against our cities. A missile
defense system will begin to change that. But change must go deeper still.

The West as a whole needs to strengthen its resolve against rogue regimes and
upgrade its defenses. The good news is that America has a president who can
offer the leadership necessary to do so.

Margaret Thatcher, prime minister of Britain from 1979 to 1990, is author of
the forthcoming book, Statecraft: Strategies for a Changing World.

© 2002 The New York Times.

Table of Contents

ARTICLE 07 - On the Lighter Side: The Army Balloonist

A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and
spotted another man below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me,
can you help? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago but I don't
know where I am."

The man below replied, "You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately
30 feet above the ground. You are between 40 and 41 degrees North Latitude
and between 59 and 60 degrees West Longitude."

"You must be a warrant officer," said the balloonist. "I am," replied the WO,
"How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically
correct, but I have no idea what to make of your information, and the fact is
I am still lost. Frankly, you haven't been much help so far."

The WO responded, "You must be an officer."

"I am," replied the officer, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the WO, "you don't know where you are or where you are going.
You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made
a promise which you have no idea how to keep and you expect people beneath
you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position
you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."

--Anonymous

Table of Contents

ARTICLE 08 - Medal of Honor Recipient - SHEA, RICHARD T., Jr., 1st Lt. USA

Rank and organization: First Lieutenant, U.S. Army, Company A 17th Infantry
Regiment, 7th Infantry Division.

Place and date: Near Sokkogae, Korea, 6 to 8 July 1953.

Entered service at: Portsmouth, Va. Born: 3 January 1927, Portsmouth, Va.
G.O. No.: 38, 8 June 1955.

Citation: 1st Lt. Shea, executive officer, Company A, distinguished himself
by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of
duty in action against the enemy. On the night of 6 July, he was supervising
the reinforcement of defensive positions when the enemy attacked with great
numerical superiority. Voluntarily proceeding to the area most threatened, he
organized and led a counterattack and, in the bitter fighting which ensued,
closed with and killed two hostile soldiers with his trench knife.

Calmly moving among the men, checking positions, steadying and urging the
troops to hold firm, he fought side by side with them throughout the night.
Despite heavy losses, the hostile force pressed the assault with
determination, and at dawn made an all-out attempt to overrun friendly
elements. Charging forward to meet the challenge, 1st Lt. Shea and his
gallant men drove back the hostile troops.

Elements of Company G joined the defense on the afternoon of 7 July, having
lost key personnel through casualties. Immediately integrating these troops
into his unit, 1st Lt. Shea rallied a group of 20 men and again charged the
enemy. Although wounded in this action, he refused evacuation and continued
to lead the counterattack. When the assaulting element was pinned down by
heavy machine gun fire, he personally rushed the emplacement and, firing his
carbine and lobbing grenades with deadly accuracy, neutralized the weapon and
killed three of the enemy.

With forceful leadership and by his heroic example, 1st Lt. Shea coordinated
and directed a holding action throughout the night and the following morning.
On 8 July, the enemy attacked again. Despite additional wounds, he launched a
determined counterattack and was last seen in close hand-to-hand combat with
the enemy. 1st Lt. Shea's inspirational leadership and unflinching courage
set an illustrious example of valor to the men of his regiment, reflecting
lasting glory upon himself and upholding the noble traditions of the military
service.

Editor's Note: If you know of any MOH recipient who is hospitalized or has
passed away recently, please email DefenseWatch MOH Editor Jim H. at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Table of Contents

EDITOR'S NOTE: Your Support is Important!

The ultimate success in reviving and expanding SFTT depends on everyone. We
need your financial contributions to continue our operation. While any amount
is welcome, we suggest a $30 annual contribution from each member will enable
us to succeed.
The IRS recognizes SFTT as a 501(c)3 Non-Profit Educational Foundation (IRS
EIN 31-1592564).

Donations are tax deductible. Send us some moral support and encouragement to
help in the struggle to improve combat readiness. With our new PayPal web
page you can contribute online here at SFTT.org using a major credit card.

Write to same address to be off lists!