-Caveat Lector-

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020225-57832399.htm

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

February 25, 2002

Activist warns of border war
By Robert Stacy McCain
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

     A border war between the United States and Mexico "could happen any
day," a California activist warned at a weekend conference in Virginia.

     "We have on our hands a Mexican border civil war that could happen
tomorrow," said Glenn Spencer of Voices of Citizens Together, a Los
Angeles-based group that supports stronger enforcement of immigration laws.
"I think it's a matter of time."
     Detailing statements by Mexican-American leaders advocating
"reconquista" — the reclaiming by Mexico of territory that the United States
captured in the 1800s — Mr. Spencer said millions of illegal immigrants
flooding into California and other states in the Southwest are the foot
soldiers of this movement.
     "The American people are going to be broadsided," Mr. Spencer told the
two-day American Renaissance conference at the Hyatt Dulles Hotel in Herndon.
"They have no idea what they are facing. ... Anything could happen."
     The flood of illegal Mexican immigrants has transformed southern
California, Mr. Spencer said. He cited the San Fernando Valley area near Los
Angeles, which was 24 percent Hispanic in 1992, but is now 52 percent
Hispanic.
     While the U.S. Hispanic population is growing, so is anti-American
sentiment in Mexico, where Mr. Spencer said "I love Osama bin Laden" T-shirts
were popular after the September 11 attacks.
     Southern California's powerful labor unions, Mr. Spencer said in his
Saturday speech, are now controlled by Mexican-American leaders who have
hinted at a general strike if Washington does not meet their demands for
amnesty for illegal immigrants. Hispanic activists turned out more than
100,000 marchers to protest Proposition 187, the California ballot initiative
limiting benefits for illegals that passed in 1994.
     With hundreds of Mexicans illegally crossing the United States'
southwest border daily, Mr. Spencer said, conflict between the U.S. Border
Patrol and Mexican authorities could touch off strikes, protests and riots by
Hispanic militants in the United States — a combination border war and civil
war that "could happen any day," he said.
     Mr. Spencer, former host of the "American Patrol" radio program, has
chronicled the problems caused by illegal immigration in a series of video
documentaries called "The Conquest of Aztlan," as well as on a Web site,
www.americanpatrol.com.
     Founded in 1992, Voices of Citizens Together at first approached
immigration as an economic issue, Mr. Spencer said.
     "Illegal immigration is essentially creating a Third World nation in
Southern California," he said. Los Angeles has been called "the nation's
poverty capital" and California has "the worst public schools in the nation,"
Mr. Spencer said, adding that the state is facing a $20 billion budget
deficit.
     But the responses of Mexican-American militants to Proposition 187,
including their claims to California as "Aztlan" — an independent Hispanic
territory — alarmed Mr. Spencer. "I was stunned by what they were saying. ...
We weren't just importing poverty, we were importing revolution."
     The answer, he said, is simple: "We have to deport everyone in the
United States who is here illegally."
     President Bush, however, is reportedly considering granting legal
residency to Mexicans residing here illegally.
     "It is stunning to me that the president of the United States could
propose amnesty for 11 million illegal immigrants," Mr. Spencer said.

Write to same address to be off lists!