-Caveat Lector-

>From WND

}}}>Begin
This is a WorldNetDaily printer-friendly version of the article which follows.
To view this item online, visit
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26609

Tuesday, February 26, 2002

Ghost soldiers + lies = body bags

1:00 a.m. Eastern

By David Hackworth

© 2002 David H. Hackworth

Saddam Hussein is burrowing deeper into his bunker. He's gotten the word that the
Yanks are coming to terminate him – and his two even-crazier sons – before they
attack Main Street USA.

Air and Special Ops will again be big players, except this time around it won't be
Afghan-easy – our conventional ground troops fighting in the sands of Iraq will take
their lumps. But bet on it, that unless Dubya allows Europe's appeaseniks to do
another Munich 1938 or Yugoslavia 1993, Baghdad will soon have new, saner
management.

The Marine and Regular Army units tasked to take down the Mustached Master of
Miscalculation are definitely up for the job. My major worry is that certain Army
National Guard units also presently designated as players aren't even close to good
to go.

I've talked with many NG soldiers, starting with those camouflaged heroes at our
scary airports who still remain the only real on-site security improvement since Sept.
11. Most are bringing home half the pay they make from their civilian jobs, and their
daily per diem will just about get them a Starbucks grande and a bagel.

These dedicated, patriotic grunts and the Guard's junior leadership aren't any part of
the problem – it's the top brass that should be charged with criminal negligence over
the lack of overall unit readiness. Many outfits recently called to active duty – for
example, units from the 40th NG Division, which I served with in war and in
peacetime and where I have many deep-throat sources – could not cut it in serious
combat.

"The level of readiness across the board is poor," says a senior sergeant in the
recently activated 1/ 185th Mechanized Battalion, a Northern California Bradley outfit.
"The CO is trying to pencil-whip this unit into combat, and if we go, there won't be
enough body bags."

Another sergeant from the same outfit, when asked if his unit was fit to fight, said:
"Let's start with basic physical fitness. Our entire battalion's PT (Physical Fitness
Test) scores were forged to get us activated. Not one soldier took the test. They
were all faked by the folks in the head shed."

"Our equipment and weapons are old and, in most cases, in worse shape than our
soldiers," another sergeant said. "We have some outstanding warriors here. Many
have seen combat in Panama, Desert Storm and Somalia, but morale sucks.
Important things like the right training and issue of the right gear ain't happening.
We're short everything, and our Brads are worn out and run like broken cement
mixers."

Another 1/185th leader said: "This unit needs to have its top leadership removed,
competent leaders installed and go through six to eight months of drilling to get even
the basics down. We're dead men walking."

The problems with the 1/185th – which could well find itself on a killing field in the
months ahead – aren't atypical. They pervade most Army Guard units across the
country. And instead of doing something about it, senior commanders uniformly lie
about readiness levels and fake reports to keep that pork pouring in.

The evidence is overwhelming and sickening. I'm besieged daily with factual and
anecdotal reports like those from the three California sergeants. Things are so bad
that a recent series in USA Today exposing the corruption in the Army Guard pointed
out that as many as 20 percent of the soldiers who appear on the NG rosters are
called ghost soldiers because they exist on paper alone!

So where's Congress? The Army Guard employs about half-a-million folks – from
ghost soldiers and under-trained grunts who might be crossing a line of departure in
Iraq in the next few months, to fat- cat, totally unqualified generals appointed by our
governors because they're good ol' boys or girls. We're talking a $13 billion-a-year
cash cow that Congress milks vigorously and is not about to cut off with an Enron-
like investigation.

Nothing will happen until NG soldiers start coming home in body bags and bereaved
parents start raising hell. Of course, by then, it'll be speech-and-monument cover-up
time, both initiated by the publicly grieving generals and the sniveling pols. And far
too late for the kids in the bags.

Col. David H. Hackworth, author of "Price of Honor" and "About Face," has seen duty
as a sailor, soldier and a military correspondent in nearly a dozen wars and conflicts,
from the end of World War II to the recent meltdown in the ex-Yugoslavia.
End<{{{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway