-Caveat Lector-

United Airlines Flight 93 Unanswered Questions

Copyright 2001 Bergen Record Corporation The Record
(Bergen County, NJ) September 14, 2001 Friday All
Editions SECTION: NEWS; Pg. a18 LENGTH: 900 words
HEADLINE: IN RURAL HAMLET, THE MYSTERY MOUNTS; 5
REPORT SECOND PLANE AT PA. CRASH SITE; THE
INVESTIGATION
SOURCE: The Record
BYLINE: JEFF PILLETS, Staff Writer
DATELINE: SHANKSVILLE, Pa.
BODY: As investigators continued to search for clues
to the crash of United Flight 93, people in this
Allegheny Mountains hamlet were talking about a
parallel mystery that one man called "the damndest
darn thing" he'd ever seen.
In separate interviews Thursday, five residents who
live and work less than four miles from the crash site
said they saw a second plane flying erratically within
minutes of the crash of the Boeing 757 that took off
from Newark two hours earlier Tuesday morning.
Susan Mcelwain of Stonycreek Township said a small
white jet with rear engines and no discernible
markings swooped low over her minivan near an
intersection and disappeared over a hilltop, nearly
clipping the tops of trees lining the ridge.
It was less than a minute later, Mcelwain said, that
the ground shook and a white plume of smoke appeared
over the ridge. "It was so close to me I ducked,"
Mcelwain said. "I heard it hit and saw the smoke. All
I could think of was how close I came to dying. "
About a mile north on Buckstown Road, Dennis Decker
and Rick Chaney were at work making wooden pallets
when they heard an explosion and came running outside
to watch a large mushroom cloud spreading over the
ridge.
"As soon as we looked up, we saw a midsized jet flying
low and fast," Decker said. "It appeared to make a
loop or part of a circle, and then it turned fast and
headed out. " Decker and Chaney described the plane as
a Lear-jet type, with engines mounted near the tail
and painted white with no identifying markings.
"If you were here to see it, you'd have no doubt,"
Decker said. "It was a jet plane, and it had to be
flying real close when that 757 went down. If I was
the FBI, I'd find out who was driving that plane. "
Late Thursday afternoon, federal agents who spoke to
reporters at the crash site said "there was no
evidence as of yet" that a second plane was nearby
when Flight 93 plunged into a strip mine.
Earlier Thursday, FBI Special Agent William Crowley
said investigators could not rule out that a second
plane was nearby during the crash. He later said he
had misspoken. He dismissed rumors that a U.S.
military jet had intercepted the plane before it could
strike a target in Washington, D.C. In testimony
before the Senate Armed Services Committee, President
Bush's nominee for chairman of the joint chiefs of
staff rejected rumors that the military had shot down
the hijacked plane.
"The armed forces did not shoot down any aircraft,"
Air Force Gen.
Richard Myers said.
An official at the Cleveland Air Traffic Control
Center in Oberlin, Ohio, which tracked Flight 93 as it
turned in the sky and tracked eastward from the
Cleveland area, said "no comment" when asked if there
was any record of a second plane over the crash site.
"That's something that the FBI is working on and I
cannot talk about," said Richard Kettel, head of tower
operations at the Cleveland center. He spoke shortly
before the FBI announced it had no evidence of a
second jet.
About 16 miles north of the crash site, at the Cambria
County Airport near Johnstown, officials said they had
seen neither Flight 93 nor a second plane Tuesday
morning despite perfect visibility.
Tower Chief Dennis Fritz said he began searching the
horizon for any signs of the 757 around 9:20 a.m. when
the Cleveland Control Center radioed that Flight 93
was headed in their direction and was apparently out
of control. Fritz says Cleveland control was urging
him to evacuate the tower.
"On the first call from Cleveland, they said a 757 was
heading in our direction at about 6,000 feet and
descending," Fritz said. "They were repeatedly trying
to raise the pilot on the radio, but there was no
answer. " Within minutes, Fritz said, he began to move
people from the tower but hesitated to abandon it
completely because he felt the incoming plane might be
in distress and need to make an emergency landing.
Shortly after 10 a.m., Fritz said, Cleveland control
called back and said the 757 had veered sharply south
and was no longer headed for the Cambria airport.
Because the airport has no radar, Fritz said, he could
not track the movements of Flight 93.
Around Shanksville, news that investigators found the
flight data recorder -- one of two black boxes aboard
the plane -- did little to abate a growing sense of
mystery over the sighting of a second jet.
Susan Custer said she saw a small white jet streaking
overhead.
"Then I heard the boom and saw the mushroom cloud. "
Robin Doppstadt was working inside her family
food-and-supply store when she heard the crash. When
she went outside, she said, she saw a small white jet
that looked like it was making a single circle over
the crash site.
"Then it climbed very quickly and took off. " "It's
the damndest darn thing," said Dale Browning, a
farmer.
"Everybody's seen this thing in the sky, but no one
can tell us what it is. " Meanwhile, at least one New
Jersey family that lost a loved on in the crash
traveled Thursday to a resort about 30 miles from the
crash site.

http://sports.yahoo.com/