-Caveat Lector-

>From SFGate

}}}>Begin
For Turkey, new war with Iraq is a grim prospect
Many fear result would be economic doom
Russell Working, Chronicle Foreign Service
Saturday, March 23, 2002
©2002 San Francisco Chronicle

Ankara, Turkey -- From his shop in the ancient citadel of this busy capital city,
Satilimish Sutchuoglu and three fellow carpet sellers gather to drink tea and trade
forecasts of economic doom.

Tourists, who provide most of his bread and butter, have been scarce since Sept. 11
in this secularly governed Muslim country that straddles Europe and Asia. And if the
talk from Washington is to be believed, things could soon get worse just as the
tourist season is ready to begin.

Vice President Dick Cheney visited this week to discuss the possibility of forcing
Saddam Hussein from power in neighboring Iraq, and a war would be a staggering
blow to an already tottering economy.

"If a war happens, then we will run into a disaster," said Sutchuoglu. "I would hate to
see a war, because I know we won't have any business, and I'm already in debt."

>From the Cold War to Operation Desert Storm, Turkey, a NATO member since
1952, has staunchly supported U.S. foreign policy. Its biggest contribution in recent
years has been to allow American jets to patrol the no-fly zones over Iraq from
Turkish air bases.

But talk of a new campaign to oust Hussein has drawn denunciations across the
political spectrum in a land that lost billions of trade dollars with Iraq and slipped
into
an economic crisis after the Gulf War. Turkey, which imports most of its oil, was also
cut off from cheap Iraqi oil. Only recently did Iraq start transshipping oil once
again to
Turkey's Mediterranean port of Ceyhan.

Before the war, "our export revenue from Iraq was $5 billion annually. Multiply that by
12 years, and we have lost about $60 billion," said Sinan Aygun, president of the
Ankara Chamber of Commerce.

"For the sake of being on better terms with the U.S., we lost a good neighbor and
trading partner."

Turkey insists that no attack against Iraq is warranted, worrying not only about the
effects on its faltering economy but the political repercussions as well. Many Turks
fear that despite their Western orientation, those concerns will not be taken
seriously.

But some observers suggest that Ankara might be willing to let the United States use
its air bases to attack Baghdad if the right incentives are dangled.

Turkey wants more financial aid, a partnership in the exclusive free-trade club with
the United States and assurances that a post-Hussein Iraq would remain a single
state.

Seyfi Tashan, director of the Turkish Foreign Policy Institute at Bilkent University in
Ankara, said a major concern is that a war could split Iraq into three sections -- a
Shiite south, a Sunni middle and a Kurdish north.

Turkey is well aware that the creation of a no-fly zone in northern Iraq turned the
region into a sanctuary for Kurdish rebels seeking to secede from Turkey. Turkey
responded with a brutal scorched-earth campaign against the Kurds, and it fears that
the establishment of a Kurdish state in northern Iraq could embolden its own Kurdish
minority and lead to renewed terrorist attacks.

"If Turkey is going to contribute to a war against Iraq, it must be assured that an
independent Kurdish state will not be created," Tashan said.

Even in hard times, Turkey is a progressive country compared to the lawless former
Soviet states to the north and east and impoverished and repressive Middle Eastern
neighbors to the south and east. And despite its spotty human rights record, Turkey
has an elected government and takes pride in its secular constitution for a country
whose population of 66 million is 97 percent Muslim.

Officials finger prayer beads during interviews while sitting under giant portraits of
the
founder of modern Turkey, Kemal Ataturk. Urban streets are lined with Internet
cafes, Renault automobile dealerships and Paul & Shark Yachting apparel outlets.
Street vendors talk passionately about Turkey's hope to join the European Union,
and stylish young women thumb through lingerie at Version stores.

Privately, many Turkish officials admit they would be better off without Hussein in
power -- as long as the war was short and clean. Like Washington, Ankara is
concerned about Iraq's potential for developing weapons of mass destruction.

Ilnur Chevik, editor of the Turkish Daily News, has urged Turks to stop clinging to
hopes that President Bush will rule out an attack. In a subsequent interview, he said
that despite its skittishness, Turkey could benefit from Hussein's downfall.

"As long as Saddam is there, the Americans won't lift sanctions. As long as the
Americans won't lift sanctions, we can't have a proper business relationship with
Iraq," he said. "Is the continuation of the status quo in the interests of Turkey? It
isn't."

If the United States attacks, Turkey would try to keep its soldiers out of the fight,
officials say, though that might be difficult if Iraq moves its troops north toward the
Turkish border.

A recent article in the Turkish Daily News indicated that Ankara might consider
committing some of its troops "if a U.S. strike becomes unavoidable."

In the meantime, street vendors like Veysel Genchauci hope the United States will
opt not to go to war.

"We don't want this war to take place in any way. Last time we were involved,
Turkey's debts multiplied," he said while shoveling dried apricots, figs, raisins and
corn from plastic tubs.

"We were promised we would be covered for our expenses. But afterward, they just
said, 'We are sorry for you.' "

©2002 San Francisco Chronicle  Page A - 12
End<{{{~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway