-Caveat Lector-

Why was Sean Sellers hearing voices in his head at the age of *six*?
How did he become "obsessed with Satanism"?

++++++
Wednesday February 3, 1999: 11:27 pm.

They have come for me. Time at last to say Goodbye. I lay this body down
and die. My race is done. I am finished. God must do the rest. Shalom.

Sean Sellers 1969 - 1986 - 1999.

These were the last words Sean Sellers wrote in this life. Half an hour
later he was taken to the execution chamber of Oklahoma State
Penitentiary, strapped to a gurney and despatched on schedule, just
after midnight, by lethal injection.

Sean had spent almost half his 29 years behind bars, under sentence of
death for crimes he committed as a deeply disturbed, paranoid
schizophrenic boy of 16. A withdrawn, damaged child from a fractured
family who had been surrounded by violence all his life, Sean slowly
lost touch with reality. He had been hearing voices in his head from the
age of six and had lately become increasingly paranoid, given to bouts
of suicidal depression and self-mutilation. He became obsessed with
Satanism and took amphetamines to carry out nightly rituals. His dreams
were punctuated by violence and mutilation. One night in March 1986,
reportedly after going without sleep for three days, he finally gave in
to the voices in his head. He fell asleep, woke up, took a gun and shot
his mother and stepfather dead as they slept.

These were not even his first murders. Six months earlier he had gone
with his friend Richard Howard to a Circle K convenience store in
Oklahoma City and shot dead a clerk named Robert Bower. The attack was
desperately random and motiveless. Sean just said that he "wanted to see
what it feels like to kill somebody."

"Even if it's a different me, it's still me, isn't it? And if it's some
other me who does something horrible and evil, isn't it an evil part of
myself that did it? I want to take responsibility for it. I don't want
to rationalize it away, and that's usually what it sounds like whenever
I try to explain it."

Nobody, least of all Sean, disputed the enormity of his crimes. But
ironically it was what Sean did afterwards, as he awaited the
inevitable, that provides one of the most compelling arguments against
the death penalty. Sean grew to manhood on death row and discovered his
own humanity in the most dehumanising of places. First he healed himself
through writing and painting, then he dedicated himself to healing
others; he made videos about the dangers of drugs and Satanism and
entered into lengthy correspondence with similarly tortured souls. He
even saved the life of a fellow inmate who had been taunting and
threatening him. All the while Sean offered unswerving and unconditional
contrition for his crimes.

++++++

M. F. Abernathy -- [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]-- 04/04/02