http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_559304.html

Blind children trapped as Israeli police clash with activists

Israeli police have fired tear gas in clashes with more than 2,000 activists attempting to carry humanitarian supplies to the West Bank.

The activists, both Israeli Jews and Arabs, carried banners and chanted for Sharon, to get out of Ramallah as they passed through a military checkpoint in north Jerusalem.

The clashes happened on the doorstep of a school for the visually impaired, where 70 blind children aged from four to twelve were hurried into a basement by teachers.

"It was awful," said teacher Suad Younan, 42. "They were so scared, and because they are blind it really triples the agony for these children."

As tear gas drifted across the school and police used batons to beat back the peace protesters, Mrs Younan and other staff members managed to spirit some of the children away.

"We managed to sneak some of the children out of the compound," she said. "We were climbing fences, jumping in ditches to try to get them home."

Thirty-two of the children remained trapped at the school, she said.

Twenty of them had no hope of going home because their parents lived in the West Bank, where Israeli tanks and helicopters are hunting for militants.

Story filed: 14:41 Wednesday 3rd April 2002