-Caveat Lector-

>From  Sierra Times (URL @ bottom)

}}}>Begin
Israeli Conflict: Defining Terrorism
By J.J. Johnson
Published 04. 9. 02 at 10:32 Sierra Time  xxx
It was fascinating to read the responses to my last two commentaries about the
Middle-East mess. The opinions ran across the political spectrum. Now that the
situation is escalating (in the midst of an Israeli pullout?), what seems to lead the
debate is exactly ‘who’ are the terrorists in the Middle East. Few people seem to
have noticed that I was very careful not to use the word ‘terrorist’ or ‘terrorism’ in
my
latest articles. Explaining the reason for that may help some of you understand this
conflict.

For those debating which side I’ve taken in the matter, the answer is simple: I am on
America’s side. But in the heated debate over this age-old problem, that isn’t good
enough for most folks, and attempting to be a neutral observer in the mess only gets
me painted as anti-American from both sides! People insist that the Palestinians OR
the Israelis must be the only terrorists.

As I have written before, the label itself bothers me. "Terrorism" had previously been
defined as: “The (actual or threatened) use of force against civilians or government
by groups or individuals to achieve political or social goals.”

Read that statement carefully, and you’ll see that this defines the military force of
any
nation.

To put it simply, ‘terrorism’ has become an ambiguous term – used by western
nations to label anyone who disagrees with its policies, and uses violence or force to
back up such beliefs. We now hear constantly that this country and Israel are in a
“War against Terror”, while they criticize Arab nations for continued support of
"terrorism".

“Terrorism” means you can declare war against a concept or idea without the
difficulties that arise when declaring war against a nation or people.

“Terrorism” gives you an open-ended blessing to conduct war on your own terms,
leaving your enemies no means to justify their response to your actions.

“Terrorism” means you can invoke civilian law enforcement and then pass laws
under the false impression that the passage of such law is a deterrent to terrorism,
while actually damaging further the rule of law.

“Terrorism” is now used in place of “war” to justify the expansion of government
power, and as an excuse to wage war against a nation while keeping the "enemy"
government in place.

I believe using the words ‘terror’, ‘terrorist’, and ‘terrorism’ is a weakness of the
West.
Fighting a so-called ‘war on terrorism’ virtually insures that the enemy will never be
defeated, but justifies continuing hostilities. If this war continues to be defined
only as
against ‘terrorism’, we will lose, and the so- called ‘terrorists’ will win.

Why? Because our enemies consider it war. Period.

Which brings us back to Israel. To the world, the Israeli army is being labeled as
extreme, genocidal, and even "terrorist" for their present actions in the occupied
areas. Israel states that they will leave the areas once the ‘network of terror’ has
been crushed. But who determines when that happens? The methods of the Jewish
nation, while frightening to many, are an effective way of dealing with the hostile
actions they face daily. (Also known to many as "terrorism"). As I said to the
Palestinians before: “How does it feel to be targeted for death?”, and to Israel:
“...don’t stop shooting until you reach the Jordan River”. This is exactly what Israel
is
doing, and for the time being, they are making progress in winning the war.

Like it or not, Israel currently is waging a real WAR – the kind waged by the U.S. in
Europe in the 1940’s.

But when they say that they will ‘pull back’ and will be willing to ‘negotiate’ they
have
admited that they either don’t have the courage to win, or they (and the west) have
forgotten what war really is all about. This is where Israel is showing its weakness.
“We want peace”. “We want a Palestinian State with secure borders for Israel”. “We
just want the ‘terror’ to stop”.

Sorry folks, not good enough.

In the old days, attacks such as Israel has faced would lead to the land base of the
attacker becoming the sovereign territory of the winner – after a war was waged to
completely vanquish the enemy. Does the phrase ‘unconditional surrender’ ring a
bell?

But although Israel could do just that in a few weeks, (as demonstrated several years
ago) they will pull back now, leaving all the motivation in place for their enemies to
regroup. There is no reason for their enemy to completely surrender because they
know they can’t be crushed – since the government of the United States will always
come to the rescue of Israel’s enemies!

Of course, there are plenty of you ready to hit that feedback button now, screaming
about what Israel has done to the Palestinians – as proven by those gruesome
photos by the journalists on the scene.

Reality Check: This is war – not terrorism. Those sending children dressed in bombs
to Israel have almost the same effect as sending bombs on a war machine. One side
uses expensive aircraft to deliver their ordinance, the other uses disposable humans.
Both sides have targeted and destroyed military and civilian targets. The difference is
that one side says they will pull back, while the other (already showing their
disrespect for their own lives) will continue their battle.

Now, let’s look at America’s “War on Terrorism”. We’ve given billions of dollars in
aid, dropped food into Afghanistan, and even forgave a major debt owed by
Pakistan. Yet there are still bad guys out there taking aim at our troops on the
ground. Frankly, I think it is an insult to call them "terrorists". You put warriors
in a
war zone – and don’t expect them to get shot at?

As of now, we only show off our military hardware, personnel, and make noise in
front of the United Nations if we are attacked. What if we resorted to the old ‘white
boy’ policy of “attack us, and you lose your territory, sovereignty and even culture
in a
very violent and indiscriminate fashion”? I think those disposable, faceless,
blameless warriors might quickly consider another career option.

Think about it. Do we spend any time worried about Japanese kamikaze pilots any
more? That didn’t happen because of some endless ‘peace process’. It ended when
the nation sponsoring them realized that they might soon become extinct if they
persisted.

In the case of Germany and Italy, it was complete destruction of the regime –
followed by occupation - and complete capitulation of the armies that ended the war
with a clear winning side. But after September 11, we send emissaries to the host
nations of such kamikaze pilots asking for their cooperation – not demanding their
‘unconditional surrender’.

You see, these days the old war horses are few and far between. The United States
printed millions of copies of the “Improvised Munitions Handbook”, taught insurgents
from around the world to conduct covert, guerilla operations, and then screams
‘terrorism’ when it comes back to bite us. This is where American policy puts us at
peril - as well as Israel, so long as they hitch themselves to the American self
destruction juggernaut.

Being the good guy is fine, but when it comes to war – we should remove the words
‘negotiation’, ‘retaliation’, even ‘terrorism' and call it exactly what it is: ‘war’.
Then,
when we declare WAR, it is clear that everyone in that nation is a combatant, and we
do whatever needs to be done until hostilities cease.

Ask Russia and Chechnya – it works.

As more evidence comes to light about Islamic attitudes toward the United States,
America should have a long term goal of taxing every barrel of oil that leaves that
region of the world if we’re not pumping it out ourselves. America and Israel are
currently showing their weakness by allowing national leaders to offer money to
families for suicide bombers, and knowingly harboring the organizers and sponsors.

Forget the Bush Doctrine – Here’s the Johnson Doctrine: Turn your people into
weapons of mass destruction against us, and it shall not be considered an “Act of
Terrorism”, but an “Act of War”, and War shall be waged against you until you
surrender or the world will soon forget that your country and your culture ever
existed.

But then again, that’s just my opinion.

©

Permission to reprint/republish granted, as long as you include the name of our site,
the author, and our URL. www.SierraTimes.com All Sierra Times news reports, and
all editorials are © 2002 SierraTimes.com (unless otherwise noted)

SierraTimes.com™ A Subsidiary of J.J. Johnson Enterprises, Inc.

http://www.sierratimes.com/02/04/09/jjjohnson.htm
End<{{{

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway