-Caveat Lector-

I think I've posted on this subject before, but FWIW, Canadian officials
had absolutely nothing to do with Trotsky's arrest in Halifax on 3 April
1917; it was carried out by British naval authorities (Lt. M. Jones, RNVR
at the head of an armed party from the HMS Devonshire) acting on the
instructions of the Admiralty's Naval Intelligence Division.  The later,
advised the apprehension of Trotsky and five companions (all veteran
Russian radicals), not 300.  T's wife and son also were removed from the
SS Kristianiafjord (a Norwegian vessel) but not formally arrested.  T and
friends spent most of April in the POW/internment camp in Amherst NS under
guard by Canadian authorities, but that was the extent of their
involvement.

The Admiralty issed the order for the arrest based on a cable from the
British naval attache in New York, Capt. Guy Gaunt who, in turn, was
responding to information provided by a British intelligence informant,
Casimir Palmer-Pilenas.  Among other things, Pilenas accused T of carrying
$10,000 provided by pro-German sources.  No such sum was found on T or his
fellow travelers.  The release oif T and the other Russians was effected
by May. Claude M. Dansey of the Secret Intelligfence Service (MI6) on 21
April.

There are, however, many legitimate questions about T's arrest, not the
least of which is why the SIS/MI6 resident in New York, Sir William
Wiseman, permitted T's departure despite having precisely the same
information from Pilenas.

For archival sources and additional details, I humbly suggest those
interested look at my article, "Interrupted Journey: British Intelligence
and the Arrest of Leon Trotskii, April 1917" in _Revolutionary Russia_
(vol. 13, #1, June 2000), 1-28.  Additional details may be found in the
declassified MI5 file on Trotsky (Public record Office, KV 2/ 502 or 503).

Regards,

Rick Spence