-Caveat Lector-

>From http://commondreams.org/views02/0410-01.htm

}}}>Begin
Share This Article With Your Friends

Published on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 by CommonDreams.org
Please, Dad, Tell Me: How Do I Stop Being Complicit?
by Sarah Shields

Dear Dad,

It was an enormously heavy responsibility you raised me with. You taught me that the
Jews have been oppressed for centuries. You taught me that the holocaust could
only happen because the Germans were silent. You taught me that Jews must never,
never, never be silent when injustice occurs, because our silence makes us
complicit.

You taught me about history, and you taught me by your actions. As a rabbi, you
preached against racism in the south, and had to leave a pulpit in Louisiana when
they threatened to kill our family. You worked for open housing laws, insisting that
there should be no ghettos in America like the ones your parents had lived in in
Europe. You counseled Jewish kids who were conscientious objectors, eliciting the
hostility of many who believed that the Vietnam war was a valiant struggle for justice
in our time.

It is a heavy responsibility I carry now. Because now I am complicit. I have not stood
in front of the tanks that are killing other mothers' children in refugee camps. I have
not ridden in ambulances to help them get past checkpoints so that the injured could
be cured. I have not laid in front of the bulldozers to prevent their destroying a
family's shelter.

What can I do about this injustice?

Palestinians are losing their property, their lives, and their children every day. The
Israeli army shoots at unarmed civilians, imposing collective punishments that make
it impossible for Palestinians to get food, water, or power. For decades, Israel has
paid settlers to move into occupied territory.

International law reflects the consensus of the world’s sense of right. International
law seeks to protect the powerless. And international law is clear. Occupying
countries have to protect the lives and property of the local population. It is not
legal
to establish settlements at all. Why do Israel and the US pay Israelis to move into
them?

There are Palestinian terrorists. They have been raised under occupation. Know
what? Israeli soldiers treat occupied people the same way other armies have treated
occupied people. The stories are horrendous. Arbitrary beatings. Tauntings. Killings.
Arrests without charge. Torture. Threatening parents in front of children. Stepping on
“prisoners” trying to move between check points. Strip searches. The use of power to
humiliate.

When people are humiliated, and have no homes to return to because the homes
have been destroyed by the occupying army, When people are humiliated, and have
no family to hold them in their arms because they have been shot and unable to get
medical care, When people are humiliated, and have no hope for the future, They
see no alternative to violence.

You taught me Judaism’s universal message. “I am a Jew because in all places
where there are tears and suffering the Jew weeps.” I believed Edmond Fleg’s
words, “I am a Jew because Israel places man and his unity above nations and
above Israel itself.”

Dad, we have become the oppressors. One rabbinic student told me years ago when
I lived in Israel that this was the meaning behind the warning to remember that we
were slaves in the land of Egypt. We were warned to remember, because sometimes
slaves want to become masters.

We are the oppressors, and we are also the victims. Jews are being killed, and at the
same time, the moral imperative that you taught me was part of being Jewish seems
to be vanishing. I believe that Jews are being used by an American administration to
accomplish its own ends, ends that have nothing to do with the ideals of Jews. We
need to shout aloud that 80% of the billions that the US gives Israel in aid must be
spent on weapons, and that more than half of those weapons are built in Texas. And
Jews are being used by an Israeli government that has no interest except territorial
expansion. Sharon is the ideological heir to Jabotinsky. Land for peace was never in
that ideology. War makes conquest possible, and all the people of Israel and
Palestine are being drawn, tragically and together, into that war.

We must act, and we must act immediately. Jews are being used to legitimize the
slaughter of Palestinians.

Please, Dad, tell me how to be like you taught me to be. How do I stop being
complicit?

I love you.
Sarah

Sarah Shields is an associate professor of Middle East history at UNC Chapel Hill.
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

###
Share This Article With Your Friends

 FAIR USE NOTICE

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material
available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human
rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe
this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in
section
107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/ uscode/17/107.shtml. If you
wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go
beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Common Dreams NewsCenter
A non-profit news service providing breaking news & views for the progressive
community.
   Home | Newswire | About Us | Donate | Sign-Up

© Copyrighted 1997-2001 www.commondreams.org A 'Cookie-Free' Website
End<{{{

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway