-Caveat Lector-

From
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/04/13/npauli13.xml&s
Sheet=/news/2002/04/13/ixnewstop.html

}}}>Begin
Oxford poet 'wants US Jews shot'
By Neil Tweedie
(Filed: 13/04/2002)

THE Board of Deputies of British Jews is considering making a complaint to the
police over a newspaper interview with the poet Tom Paulin in which he is reported
as saying that American-born settlers in Israel should be shot dead.

Paulin, who appears regularly on the panel of the BBC2 arts programme Newsnight
Review (formerly Late Review), allegedly made the comment in an interview with the
Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram.

The interviewer wrote that Paulin, a consistent critic of Israeli conduct towards the
Palestinians, clearly abhorred "Brooklyn-born" Jewish settlers. Paulin, a lecturer at
Hertford College, Oxford, was then quoted as saying: "They should be shot dead.

"I think they are Nazis, racists, I feel nothing but hatred for them." Earlier in the
interview, he was quoted as saying: "I never believed that Israel had the right to
exist
at all."

Yesterday the board said it was consulting its lawyers over the comments with a view
to making a complaint to the police under the terms of the Anti- Terrorism, Crime and
Security Act. This prohibits the making of comments that incite violence against
identifiable groups outside the UK.

Mike Whine, a spokesman for the board, said: "The latter part of his [Paulin's]
interview where he is quoted as suggesting that Israel has no right to exist and he
would like to kill American-Jewish immigrants to Israel is, technically at least,
illegal.

"Whether or not the Crown Prosecution Service would prosecute him is a matter for
them to decide." Mr Whine said the poet had clearly gone beyond opposition to
Zionism and was promoting hatred of Jews.

Neville Nagler, director general of the board, said: "These are the words of a man
filled with hate and fanaticism." Paulin was also reported by the newspaper as saying
that he had resigned from the Labour Party because the Blair government was a
Zionist government.

The Palestinians, he said, had to meet force with force, and needed good anti-tank
weapons. On the subject of suicide bombers, the paper quoted him as saying: "I can
understand how suicide bombers feel. It is an expression of deep injustice and
tragedy.

"I think, though, that it is better to resort to conventional guerrilla warfare. I
think that
attacks on civilians in fact boost morale. Hitler bombed London into submission, but
in fact it created a sense of national solidarity."

Paulin, a respected poet, essayist and critic with a love of controversy, once lost his
temper on Late Review when Germaine Greer, a fellow panellist, expressed
sympathy for British paratroopers involved in the shootings on Bloody Sunday.

Accusing Miss Greer of talking rubbish, Paulin, the product of a liberal Protestant
family from Northern Ireland, went on: "They [the paratroopers] were thugs sent in by
public schoolboys to kill innocent Irish people. They were rotten, racist bastards."

He has locked horns with the leaders of Britain's Jewish community before. Last year
he published a poem, Killed in Crossfire, in which he likened the Israeli army to a
"Zionist SS".

But he vehemently denied allegations that he was anti-semitic, citing his anger at the
way the anti- semitism of TS Eliot, addressed in a study by Anthony Julius, had been
ignored.

Answering a letter from Mr Nagler published in a national newspaper, Paulin said:
"What is so galling is that people like [Neville] Nagler think that they can insinuate
anti-semitism and leave it at that.

"I am a philo-semite, and I repudiate his letter with contempt." When contacted by
The Telegraph yesterday, Paulin said: "I'm sorry, I've got nothing to say."

Previous story: Suicide bomb shatters peace talk hopes
Next story: Britain buys up stocks of smallpox vaccine

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2002.
End<{{{

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway