-Caveat Lector-

http://www.globeandmail.com

The Globe & Mail (Toronto)
Wednesday, April 17, 2002

Sharon and Arafat should both be on trial

If the new International Criminal Court is to mean anything, we must
be ready to judge the acts even of those whose causes seem just,
says author ERNA PARIS

   The 20th century was the most brutal the world has known, as ordinary
people became the deliberate targets of wars, both international and
civil:  An estimated 86 million non-combatants died.  But the century
also saw a remarkable attempt to enhance world order by demanding
accountability for serious human-rights abuses -- something to keep
in mind during this latest eruption of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

   When the top Nazi leaders were tried at Nuremberg under new
legislation called "crimes against humanity" -- the most serious
breaches  of rights ever codified -- a new idea entered international
law:  that of personal responsibility for committing, or commanding,
antihuman acts.

   In his opening address to the tribunal, the American jurist
Robert H. Jackson set the scene in words that still resonate:
"The real complaining party at [the] bar is Civilization," he said.
"Civilization asks whether the law is so laggard as to be utterly
helpless to deal with [such] crimes.  It does not expect that you [the
tribunal] can make war impossible.  It does expect that your action
will put the forms of international law, its precepts, its prohibitions,
and most of all, its sanctions, on the side of peace."

   At Nuremberg, the Allied Powers directly addressed the Nazi abuse
of state power and, in doing so, shifted the balance between brutality
and "civilization."  Another tilt in the same direction occurred just
last February when Slobodan Milosevic entered the prisoner's box at the
International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague,
Nuremberg's legal successor.

   Still another took place last week when the long-awaited International
Criminal Court was born in a ceremony at the United Nations in New York.
The ICC, which is expected to go into operation next year, is a landmark
achievement that Canada supported from the start; its permanent status
will eliminate the need for ad hoc tribunals such those for Yugoslavia
and Rwanda.  The new court will have jurisdiction over war crimes and
crimes against humanity only when countries are unwilling or unable to
prosecute their own citizens.  This is as it should be.  Accountability
starts at home.

   The ICC will not be retroactive (the opening date for indictments is
July 1, 2002), which means that, at this writing, neither Ariel Sharon
nor Yasser Arafat is likely to be prosecuted.

   This is a pity -- because each of them has contravened not just the
international humanitarian law founded at Nuremberg and later, but,
even more shocking to millions, the ground rules of what Judge Jackson
quaintly called "Civilization."

   Few reasonable people reject the needs of both Israelis and
Palestinians:  Secure borders for one and a national state for the other.
But the failure of diplomacy and the political process, for whatever
disputed reasons, cannot justify the gross abuse of human rights or
exempt those responsible.  Put simply, an acceptable end does not justify
unacceptable means.

   Late last week, as Israel mopped up its military operations in the
Jenin refugee camp, as ambulances and doctors were refused permission to
tend the wounded, as families were denied permission to bury their dead,
as the international and the Israeli media were denied access to
unmediated information, as the International Red Cross was thwarted
in its attempts to deliver humanitarian aid, as seemingly out-of-control
Israeli soldiers looted homes, and as accusations brought against the army
for illegally attempting to dispose of the bodies of the dead in the
Jenin camp were being heard in an Israeli court, the Bush administration,
in stunning, unconscious irony, again referred to Ariel Sharon as "a man
of peace."

   Mr. Sharon, however, has never hidden either his military doctrine or
contempt for international law.  After he headed his country's invasion
of Lebanon in 1982 (following which he was removed from office by an
Israeli tribunal that found him indirectly responsible for the massacre
of Palestinians), he granted a revealing interview to the respected
Israeli writer, Amos Oz, which was published in the journal Davar.

   "Even if you prove to me that the present war in Lebanon is a dirty
immoral war, I don't care," he said. "... Even today I am willing to
volunteer to do the dirty work for Israel, to kill as many Arabs as
necessary, to deport them, to expel and burn them, to have everyone hate
us. ...  And I don't mind if after the job is done you put me in front
of a Nuremberg trial and then jail me for life.  Hang me if you want,
as a war criminal ..."

   Mr. Sharon's aging nemesis, Yasser Arafat, is more circumspect, but his
record is no better.  Autocratic, two-faced and double-talking, Mr. Arafat
has fought a lifelong dirty war opposite Mr. Sharon and his predecessors,
utilizing every means possible, including terror attacks against Jewish
targets in Western Europe as early as the 1960s.

   After a brief interlude marked by failed peace initiatives, he has
returned to (possibly direct) sponsorship of terror.  By promising
posthumous glory and material help to their destitute families, Mr. Arafat
has encouraged desperate young Palestinians to die for his cause by
murdering innocent civilians within Israel.

   It is sometimes said that there is "too much history" in the Middle
East.  Perhaps it is closer to the truth to say that there is too much
selective history:  The arguments, half-truths and myths in both camps are
now so entrenched that few can hear over the local din.  The Arab world
promotes that disreputable fabrication, The Protocols of the Elders of
Zion, in a 30-part "factual" television series, ensuring that hatred of
Israelis will be enduringly transformed into a hatred of Jews everywhere.

   Currently, 46 per cent of Israelis favour deporting Palestinians from
the occupied territories into Jordan -- although population deportation is
a known war crime.  Arab-language papers extol the murderous "martyrs,"
while in the lens of presumably balanced reporting, New York Times
columnist William Safire confers regularly with Ariel Sharon.  And
Thomas Friedman, the paper's international affairs columnist, spuriously
conflates disparate acts of Arab terror and urges Israel to deliver a
decisive "military blow" (although it is commonly agreed that suicide-bent
Palestinians will not be stopped by such means).  Closer to home, Canadian
media baron Izzy Asper unapologetically controls the content and slant of
what gets published in his domain about the Middle East.

   Perception is all; I know this personally. In 1987, I spent a day
in the Balata refugee camp talking to young Fatah "freedom fighters" as
research for my book The Garden and the Gun. No one knew I was there; in
those days, just before the outbreak of the first intifada, no permission
was needed.

   Suddenly, the IDF appeared on the camp road, guns pointing.  My
"friends" threw themselves to the floor behind a table and pulled me
down with them.  We held our breath in common fear.

   Late that afternoon I returned to my apartment in Jerusalem.  That
evening, I heard the strangled sounds of someone going berserk in the
street just outside; the language sounded like Arabic.  I double-locked
and cowered behind my door. Perception depends on where one sits -- even
during the course of a single day.

   The facts of history will continue to be selected and shaped by
those with an agenda; but without accountability for abuses and the
redress of international law, we are held hostage to the psychology
of ruthless leaders.

   To maintain international order, we must address human-rights
violations even when the cause of those who commit them is just.  In
South Africa, Bishop Desmond Tutu threatened to resign from the Truth
and Reconciliation Commission he founded unless the ruling ANC party
acknowledged their own violations during the struggle against apartheid.
As Telford Taylor put it in his book The Anatomy of the Nuremberg Trials,
"The laws of war are not a one-way street."

/Erna Paris's most recent book, Long Shadows:  Truth, Lies and History,
won three prizes in Canada and was a Best Book of the Year in Canada,
the United States and Britain./