-Caveat Lector-

On 10 May 2002 at 12:47, Samantha L. wrote:

> To require the induction into the Armed Forces of young men registered
> under the Military Selective Service Act, and to authorize young women
> to volunteer, to receive basic military training and education for a
> period of up to one year.

Although I endorse nonviolent means to provide solutions to most if not all conflicts
arising among the various factions of humanity, I also endorse (almost) universal
military training.

My reasons for this do not include providing fodder for the imperialist forces that
have overtaken the United States in the last hundred years or so.  Exactly the
opposite, as a matter of fact.  The rationale is more along the lines of a good offense
begins with a good defense ... against enemies foreign and domestic.

When the Constitution was written, it included the Second Amendment with the
understanding that most if not all men and women would have some familiarity with
defending themselves, with firearms if necessary.  With the advent of standing
armies and urbanisation of the society, the need to go out and learn how to shoot
something in order to eat has fallen by the wayside.  This is considered "sport" now
(as if some of our current leaders did not consider war to be "sport").  Military
service
eliminates this gap in education and training within the first few weeks of basic
training, boot camp, whatever.  No more pretend cowboys or gangsters, who can
only dream about loud dangerous things (besides their cars' subbass woofer sound
systems).

Other issues beyond this are also eliminated.  Among these are learning how to get
along with the infinite varieties of American that there are.  Since the draft was
abolished in favour of an all-volunteer Armed Forces, I've noticed a slight change in
direction of society that favours a somewhat Balkanised effect, groups congregating
among their perceived samenesses.  There is less emphasis on becoming
integrated or cooperative and more on polarisation.  The military puts this to a quick
end for the most part.  Once people are forced to learn to live with and learn about
one another in a climate of common purpose, things get better.  For everyone.

The most important thing I've come to learn is who the government puts its assets to
use.  Mad Maddy Albright had a little conflict with General Powell in interpreting what
the military was good for.  This, in itself, shows how a lack of on-hand, in-person
experience can distort the purpose of a instrument of American foreign policy.  When
the "Mad Maddies" get excited about achieving person goals using the blood, sweat
and tears of someone else's kids, we're all in trouble.  If we look at the people who
are involved in formulating national foreign policy to include dispatching armies, air
forces, navies, and affiliated corps of young people, we find a great number of those
who did all they could to keep their heads in the sand during recent conflicts.

[ Go here to see who WAS in the military and then figure out who WASN'T:
http://www.rollcall.com/rcfiles/military.html ]

We might find some correlation to warmongering and absence of a DD Form 214,
Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, in our leaders' names.  We
only need to remember BJ Clinton, R. Cheney, R. Armey, T. DeLay, N. Gingrich, T.
Lott, and a whole host of others who had "other things" to do.
[ http://www.nhgazette.com/chickenhawks.html ]
Unfortunately, your brother, sister, cousin, friend, spouse, or person living next door
to you is not something the politicians can buy at Toys R Us and play with on the
living room floor.

Then there's the little matter of the government not being so hasty to enslave its
population.

A<>E<>R