-Caveat Lector-

>From JPost

>>>And the U.S. comes in at what place?<<<

}}}>Begin
US students learn how to defend Israel

Tovah Lazaroff
May. 31, 2002

Pictures of IDF soldiers gunning down Palestinians with the statement "this is what
you can do on birthright" were plastered this March across Cornell University
Campus in response to a campaign for birthright israel, a program that brings
thousands of Jewish students annually to Israel.

At New York University, the Muslim student groups put two articles on their Web site
blaming the September 11 attack on the Twin Towers on Jewish supremacy and the
mistreatment of the Palestinians by the Israelis.

"As things have gotten worse in Israel, things have gotten worse [for Jews] in the
US," said Ruthie Warshenbrot, of the University of North Carolina, one of 400 US
Hillel students who spent this week in Israel learning how to combat what, according
to the Anti-Defamation League, is a 25 percent hike in anti-Semitism in 2001.

The trip was jointly organized by Hillel and the Jewish Agency's "Israel Experience"
company. Students did some volunteer work and met with officials, academics, and
the IDF to help bolster their advocacy skills to combat anti-Semitism and anti-Israel
propaganda, and to help students on their home campuses identify with Israel.

Hillel member Aviva Kiesser, who just finished her junior year at Rutgers University in
New Jersey, said that on her campus there is a feeling that Zionism is racism and
that Israel is an apartheid state. She and other students described how on their
campuses they often find themselves in verbal battles with Muslim groups. Debate
quickly becomes a monologue, Kiesser said.

Benjy Weiss, who just finished his junior year at Cornell University, said he feels the
Jewish students are often on the defensive and simply reacting to incidents started
by the Muslims groups.

Warshenbrot said there is a scant Muslim presence on her campus. It's the Jewish
groups who are standing out there against Israel holding signs saying: "Down with
the occupation," she said.
"One of the most frustrating things for me as an American student is that we have
been working on counteracting all of this negativity and hostility for nearly two
years,"
Kiesser said. "It feels like our family in Israel isn't hearing that. They think we
aren't
doing anything when we are working hard. We are passionate and committed and
that message is not getting across."

"The message that this mission really needs to send is that we do care and we want
to help," Kiesser said.

It has been helpful to be in Israel with students from across the country who shared
her same experiences with anti-Semitism and anti-Israel sentiments.

"When you are on a campus, it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that you are the
only students dealing with the issue of Israel, but when we get together with others,
you see you are fighting the same fight, working for the same cause," Kiesser said.

"We encounter so much negativity on campus and so much apathy, it's physically
and emotionally refreshing to be here in Israel," said Jay Rosen, who just finished his
sophomore year at New York University.

Weiss said the trip has energized him to return to his campus and rally students on
behalf of Israel. "We need to target the students who are wavering and make sure
that all of us are well versed on the issues," Weiss said.

Hillels will also be focusing on getting more students to come to Israel under the
slogan, "Now we stand with Israel, tomorrow we stand in Israel."

Students said they are going back home with strategies on how to be proactive. "We
really have a feeling of camaraderie here. We want to bring that back home and
increase the feeling of unity among Jewish students," Rosen said.

This article can also be read at
http://www.jpost.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=JPost/A/JPArticle/
Full&cid=1022691064326

[ Back to the Article ]

Copyright 1995-2002 The Jerusalem Post - http://www.jpost.com/
End<{{{

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway