-Caveat Lector-

On 6 Jun 2002 at 17:17, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> SEVEN years after American troops intervened to oust a brutal military
> regime and reinstate Haiti's democratically elected president, little
> has changed in Latin America's poorest country.

Note that Haiti has been (for about two hundred years) adverse to accepting the
dictates of the colonial powers since it kicked the French out in Jefferson's time.
One of the reasons *why* the Americans were so eager to get the Louisiana
purchase was to prevent what happened in Haiti (courtesy of the French) from
getting to the mainland.  Oh, what was that?  The slave rebellions that wrested the
island (or a big part of it) away from the French.  At this time, the Americans who
held slaves might have put a big clamp down on "freedoms" that may have been
aimed at relaxing the relationship between the two classes.  See here for more
information:

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/102.html
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/104.html
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/105.html
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/019.html

There might be more at the URLs but these give an overall complete picture of the
situation.  I'm sure Cuba and others are even more aware of the implications and
benefits of spurning imperialists.  Fight back with AIDS and drugs and who knows
what else ... oh, yeah, $Billions down the drain.  And who says they're failed
countries?

A<>E<>R