-Caveat Lector-

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=174503&contrassID=1&subContrassID=1&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y

Tuesday, June 11, 2002
Tamuz 1, 5762
Israel Time: 05:05 (GMT+3)

Last update - 07:49 10/06/2002

PM meets NSA Rice; will tell Bush: No pullback to 1967 borders

By Aluf Benn and Daniel Sobelman

 Bush and Mubarakat a news conference Saturday in Camp David.
(Photo: AP)

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon met with U.S. National Security Advisor
Condoleezza Rice on Sunday, starting off his visit to the United States, in
which he will deliver one basic message: "No withdrawal to the 1967
borders." Sharon will also tell his American counterparts that he opposes a
timetable for a final status agreement with the Palestinians.

During his talks with top officials in Washington, Sharon will emphasize
that Israel's willingness to take chances under any future peace agreement
framework will increase if it has a credible Palestinian partner.

Sharon will meet Monday with President George Bush at the White House. It
will be their sixth meeting since both men took up their current roles.

Ahead of his White House talks, Sharon has published an article in Sunday's
New York Times on the "strategic horizons of peace." In an analysis of
regional developments since the 1967 Six-Day War, Sharon concludes that
Israel must not return to the 1967 borders, since they endanger its
existence.

He calls for adherence to UN Resolution 242 as a basis for negotiations,
since the resolution acknowledges that states in the region have a right to
uphold safe, recognized borders, and does not enjoin a full withdrawal from
the territories.

Sharon rejects both a peace initiative which Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak
brought to the U.S. presidential retreat at Camp David over the weekend, and
a peace plan drafted by the U.S. State Department. Sharon is unhappy about
both plans because they propose that the 1967 borders ought to be used as a
basis for an agreement, and they also set out a three-year timetable for the
consummation of an Israeli-Palestinian final status accord.

Sharon opposes the imposition of a timetable for a final status accord, but
he is willing to accept the establishment of a Palestinian state under a
long-term interim agreement.

Sharon's main lobbying point during his U.S. visit was reinforced Saturday
by his predecessor, Ehud Barak, who published an article in The Washington
Post calling on the U.S. and the international community not to force Israel
to withdraw to the 1967 borders. Such a demand on Israel would constitute
the conferral of a prize to terror, Barak argued. Barak added that the U.S.
should act first in Iraq to bring about the removal of Saddam Hussein's
regime; such a change in Baghdad, Barak maintained, will create a "new Arab
world," and a new Palestinian leadership.

Bush says no timetable for Palestinian state
U.S. President George W. Bush on Saturday sidestepped Arab pleas to impose a
deadline for Palestinian statehood while Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak
defended Yasser Arafat and urged, "Give this man a chance."

Ending weekend talks on the Mideast crisis, Bush and Mubarak agreed that the
Palestinian Authority must enact political reforms to give Israel the
confidence to negotiate peace. But they parted at the Camp David
presidential retreat still divided over whether Arafat is the man to deliver
those changes.

"Chairman Arafat, as far as I'm concerned, is not the issue," Bush said at a
news conference. "The issue is whether or not the Palestinian people can
have a hopeful future. I have constantly said I am disappointed in his
leadership. I think he has let the Palestinian people down.

Bush had invited Mubarak to the secluded retreat hoping he would play an
instrumental role in leading Palestinians to the peace table, much like his
predecessor, Anwar Sadat, did in forging the first peace accord between
Israel and an Arab state. Islamic radicals assassinated Sadat after he
signed that 1979 Egypt-Israeli treaty.

The diplomatic niceties could not disguise their differences on Arafat, a
timetable for a Palestinian state and even how much Mideast violence each
nation was willing to tolerate.

"Look, we should give this man a chance," Mubarak said. "We are working very
hard with cooperation with the United States for the reform in the
Palestinian Authority. Such a chance will prove that he is going to deliver
or not. If he's going to deliver, I think everybody would support him. If
he's not going to deliver, his people will tell him that," he said.

Bush, taking pains to find common ground with Mubarak, noted that the
Egyptian president did not commit to dealing with Arafat forever, but only
asked for time to see if he will deliver.

Mubarak said violence "will come to an end unless the people feel that there
is hope for peace and there is something to show that peace is coming. If
they didn't feel that, they will not stop violence. It will continue
forever."

A hard edge in his voice, Bush replied: "My attitude about violence is this:
People have responsibilities to do everything they can to stop violence."

He has urged Mubarak and other Arab leaders to curb Mideast terrorism and
stop inciting violence through state-run media

"Chairman Arafat must do everything in his power to stop the violence, to
stop the attacks on Israel. I mean everything," Bush said, thumping a
lectern set outside one of the retreat's cabins.

Mubarak, speaking in Arabic, delivered a lengthy assessment of the crisis.
He accused Israel of "assassinations" and "illegal confiscation's" and
demanded that Israeli troops withdraw from territories occupied since 1967.

Mubarak came to the talks hoping Bush would set a deadline for Palestinian
statehood and ease his criticism of Arafat. Bush disappointed him on both
points.

"Well, we're not ready to lay down a specific calendar, except for the fact
we need to get started quickly, soon, so that we can seize the moment," Bush
said.

"Here's the timetable I have in mind. We need to start immediately in
building the institutions necessary for the emergence of a Palestinian state
which, on the one hand, will give hope to the Palestinian people and, on the
other hand, say to the world, including the neighborhood, that there is a
chance to defeat ... terror," Bush said.

A senior White House official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that
while Bush is not prepared to offer a timetable or statehood deadline now,
he has not ruled out embracing either idea down the road.