-Caveat Lector-

~~for educational purposes only~~
[Title 17 U.S.C. section 107]

The Great Superstition
by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.

First Enron, now WorldCom: everyone’s talking about
these cases and what they say about capitalism and
regulation. I’ll leave it to others to discuss that aspect in
more detail; it’s an often neglected dimension of the
whole matter that I’d like to consider.

What is especially remarkable about much of the ensuing
analysis is that it strikingly reveals the double standard
that exists among liberal intellectuals with regard to the
private sector and the state. Consider: the value of the
dollar has declined well over 90 percent since the
establishment of the Federal Reserve System in 1913.
Throughout the history of the gold standard in the United
States, the price level had been falling, and the value of
people’s currency increasing. Then government stepped
in and the result was an endless stream of stories about
how your grandparents used to be able to buy an ice
cream cone for five cents. Now imagine if a private firm
had been responsible for the ongoing debasement of the
currency and all the economic dislocation and
impoverishment it entails. Would we not be subjected to
a ceaseless series of exposés on wicked bankers and the
need for government control of the money supply? Yet
when the state itself is responsible for this outcome, the
result is  utter silence.

I know someone who worked for a government agency
and, when he found he had a surplus one year, inquired as
to how he was to go about returning it. Any free
marketeer knows the end of the story: he was told to
spend it all in order to be able to lobby for a bigger
budget the following year. This mentality is all-pervasive
throughout Washington, and everyone who’s ever worked
there knows it. Any outraged calls for people to be
brought up on charges or given prison terms?

Considering the perverse incentive structure that inheres
in government, it can be no surprise that incompetence,
poor performance, and outright failure are routinely
rewarded. Businesses are punished by the market for
their poor decisions (WorldCom and Enron are totally
ruined); failing government bureaucracies are rewarded
with higher budgets. The drug war has gotten us exactly
nowhere? Why, it needs more money! Students are
reading at a second-grade level in some government
school? Nothing a little money won’t solve! (Apparently
the $13,000 or so per student currently budgeted in many
inner-city schools just isn’t enough for the kids to be
expected to know fractions or the date of the Declaration
of Independence.)

Naturally, intelligence services and the Department of
Defense, after their miserable failure on September 11,
were predictably rewarded with more money.
(Undoubtedly it was an inadequate number of
nuclear-capable submarines that left us so vulnerable to
19 hostile airline passengers.) And as for accounting
practices, let’s not even mention the Pentagon.

We well know how this works when it comes to the
welfare state and fostering dependency: the bureaucracy
measures success by how fast it increases the number of
people on the rolls, an attitude no charitable institution
relying on voluntary contributions could possibly afford
to hold. In Overcoming Welfare, James Payne cites a
candid description of the system by a social security
official in a Midwest field office:

In the field  I was a supervisor out there for years
and years  your staffing, your budget for supplies,
and your awards money for the employees was
based on work units. Now, work units were
assigned based on the number of claims you took. So
we would sit around and figure out how we could
get more people on the SSI rolls, because it would
benefit us. The more applications we took, the more
work units, the bigger the staff: we could build up an
empire.

Just keeping track of all the federal government’s
programs is an undertaking in itself. Payne points out that
several years ago, Heritage Foundation researchers,
looking exclusively at employment and job training
programs, came up with nine of them, whose combined
price tag was $5.3 billion. But a year later, a more
thorough examination by the General Accounting Office
found "about" 163 programs, costing $20 billion. How’s
that for an accounting irregularity: even the government’s
own budget office isn’t certain that it had counted all the
job training programs to which the taxpayers’ money is
allocated!

Others before me have pointed out the incongruity in
looking to the federal government for redress in the Enron
case, when it is precisely the federal government that has
squandered more retirement money than some entire
countries have ever seen. Thanks to Social Security,
money that in any other savings program would have
provided a substantial pool for business investment, and
hence increased productivity and wealth, was instead
diverted to current expenditures of dubious merit, as well
as payouts to current recipients. Worse still, of course, is
the pitiful (and ever-worsening) "return" that accrues to
"contributors." Can you imagine the outcry if a private
firm had squandered people’s retirement savings like
that?

In a recent conversation with colleagues the subject
turned from WorldCom and Enron to the subject of police
and crime in New York City. Over the course of the
discussion someone pointed out that on a particular New
York expressway there are people who make an illicit
living cruising by and waiting for someone’s car to break
down. At that point, they stop, threaten the hapless
motorist, and strip his car of anything that might fetch
them money. They know very well that the police are
completely incapable of doing anything about this, and
that law enforcement will get involved only if physical
harm is done to the poor driver. So these crooks are
careful not to hurt their victims.

Once when I lived in Manhattan a friend who had come
to visit me from Connecticut had his car stereo stolen
while we were eating. A police car happened to drive by
as we surveyed the car and realized what had occurred.
We flagged him down and explained the situation. He
told us it was a real shame, and drove away.

Let’s not even discuss the question of the percentage of
crimes, even serious ones, that the New York police
actually manage to solve, because it’s frightening. And
let’s leave aside the fact that according to a former New
York police captain of my acquaintance, exactly nothing
happens to a first-time car thief.

The point I wish to make is this: what would be people’s
reaction if a private firm were this negligent, and so
obviously incapable of carrying out its task? It would be
cited as yet another example of the need for oversight of
the private sector and strict regulation of the market. State
failure, on the other hand, to the extent that it is noticed at
all, is a matter of head shaking and chuckling, but almost
never one of demands for resignations or independent
oversight into its conduct. Yes, occasionally a flagrantly
corrupt official resigns, but no one is losing his job
because the postal system is expensive and inefficient or
the police department can’t do anything about auto theft.
The state has somehow managed to exempt itself from
ordinary standards of behavior and performance, and
many people have, without thinking, simply gone along.

The fact is, it is as fashionable as ever in elite circles to
condemn the private sector and to castigate its defenders
as hopelessly naïve, while at the same time looking with
hushed awe to the state as the source and summit of all
that is good. Intellectuals in the universities, in the media
and in government itself make entire careers out of
encouraging and perpetuating this perverse superstition.
As Murray Rothbard noted in 1992,

   The ruling elite, whether it be the monarchs of yore
   or the Communist parties of today, are in desperate
   need of intellectual elites to weave apologias for
   state power. The state rules by divine edict; the state
   insures the common good or the general welfare; the
   state protects us from the bad guys over the
   mountain; the state guarantees full employment; the
   state activates the multiplier effect; the state insures
   social justice, and on and on. The apologias differ
   over the centuries; the effect is always the same.

So the state, the biggest bumbler, swindler, thief, and
accounting crook of all is going to step in to protect us
from the private sector. Who’s naïve now?