>From the New Paradigms Project [Not Necessarily Endorsed]
Note:  We store 100's of related "New Paradigms Posts" at:
http://www.msen.com/~lloyd/oldprojects/recentmail.html

Subject:  Bechtel Corporation

Bechtel Corporation
San Francisco, CA
<www.bechtel.com>

"We are not in the construction and engineering business. We are in the business of
making money."

--Steve Bechtel Sr.

>From the most natural and essential resource on earth - water - to
>nuclear
power and weapons that can potentially cause the extinction of all life, Bechtel Group
has manipulated both elements to build a business empire. As one of the largest
construction and engineering companies in the world, Bechtel Group develops, manages,
engineers, builds and operates telecomunications projects, water systems, petroleum
and chemical plants, pipelines, nuclear power plants, mining and metal projects and
civil infrastructure projects.

Bechtel has offices in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Egypt,
France, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Oman, Peru, Philippines,
Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab
Emirates, United Kingdom, the U.S. and Venezuela. Last year Bechtel booked $23.3
billion worth of new business and worked off $15.1 billion in revenue, increases of
75% and 20% respectively (1).

Bechtel has been involved in some of the world's largest and most ambitious
construction projects. The Hoover Dam, the first oil pipeline in Saudi Arabia, the
Alaskan oil pipeline, and our first nuclear power plants; all constructed by the
private corporation under contracts that have been secured through brilliant
manipulation of personal connections. Since the dawn of the nuclear age Bechtel has
successfully solidified its position as the preeminent company for building all things
nuclear. In its history Bechtel has helped to design and /or construct 45 nuclear
power plants in 22 states (2). Recent Bechtel projects include decommissioning the
Connecticut Yankee nuclear power plant, managing ExxonMobil's Singapore Chemical
Complex, building an oil pipeline in Mexico, the Meizhou Wan power plant in China, the
Collahuasi copper project in Chile, Space Launch Complex in Calif ornia, the Reliance
oil refinery in India, the Ragian nickel and copper complex in Canada and the Boyn!
 e Island aluminum smelter in Australia.

One of Bechtel's most important programs is Bechtel Nevada which manages operations at
the Nevada Test site - a test bed for conducting defense-related nuclear experiments
and national security experiments - for DoE's Nevada Operations Office which recently
became National Nuclear Security Administration. The Nevada Test site is a massive
outdoor laboratory and experiment center that is larger than the state of Rhode
Island. Bechtel Nevada runs in partnership with Johnson Controls Nevada, Inc.; and
Lockheed Martin Nevada Technologies, Inc., and partners with Lawrence Livermore
National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory and Sandia National Laboratories
on many projects. Bechtel Nevada also works on projects for the Defense Threat
Reduction Agency, NASA, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the U.S. Air Force, Army
and Navy.

The four major 'missions' of Bechtel Nevada are:

l Stockpile Stewardship - provides experimental capabilities necessary to maintain
confidence in the safety and performance of weapons in the U.S. nuclear weapons
stockpile. Stockpile Stewardship is also responsible for maintaining the ability to
resume underground nuclear testing.

l Environmental Management - responsible for Environmental Management, Pollution
Prevention, Waste Minimization, and Science and Technology Development.

l Defense and Civil Projects - includes Conventional Ordinance Testing which supports
the U.S. military in the research and development of new munitions. The benefit of
performing the Conventional Ordinance Testing at the Nevada Test Site is the
specialized facilities allow live munitions to be tested by firing them at real
targets. The HazMat Spill Center (HSC) - fully permitted to release highly hazardous
chemical is a controlled environment for experimental purposes. The X-Tunnel
Demilitarization Test Facility - an underground testing ground for demilitarization
processes including disposition of conventional ammunition, rocket motors, and
energetics.

l National Security Response - includes several programs for crisis management, which
includes advanced technologies, terrorism-related intelligence and remote date
acquisition and analysis. Includes Protective counter Measure/Weapons of Mass
Destruction training.

Bechtel Political Connections

Bechtel's close relationship with the Central Intelligence Agency helped influence
overthrows of several foreign governments perceived as unfriendly to American business
goals; and allowed the company to be at the right place at the right time to take
advantage of new business opportunities with puppet regimes (3). Close ties between
Alan Dulles the CIA deputy Director and Steve Bechtel's financial advisor, John
Simpson, facilitated the relationship between Bechtel and the CIA. Steve Bechtel
served as the CIA's liaison with the Business Council and several other organizations
directly linked with the CIA (4). The ties between Bechtel and the CIA led to
collaborations in intelligence gathering that helped overthrow Iran's Mossadeq in 1953
and Indonesia's Sukarno and replace them with the Reza Shah Pahlavi and Suharto
respectively, pro-Western, pro-business allies.

Key Bechtel alumni are Reagan Secretary of Defense Casper Weinburger former Bechtel
general counsel, and Reagan Secretary of State, George Schultz former Bechtel
President, and current Bechtel board member. W. Kenneth Davis, former vice-president
for nuclear development became Reagan's deputy secretary of Energy and head of the
Atomic Energy Commission under Reagan. William Casey, chairman of the Security and
Exchange Commission under Nixon, head of the Export-Import bank under Ford, Reagan
campaign manger and head of the CIA under Reagan was also a Bechtel consultant.

Richard Helm was CIA director under Nixon and eventually became a Bechtel consultant.
White House political advisor Perter Flanigan under Nixon became a senior partner in
the Bechtel-owned investment house Dillon, Read and Company. Robert L. Hollingsworth,
AEC's general manager under Nixon became manager of manpower services at Bechtel.
Nixon Treasury secretary William Simon became a Bechtel consultant. Additionally,
numerous friends of Bechtel, too long to list, many working in the AEC eventually
ended up with Bechtel. The close collaboration between the AEC and Bechtel was "so
incestuous it is impossible to tell where the public sector begins and the private one
leaves off" (5).

Bechtel's political influence does not stop close relationships to people in power.
The company also lets its money to the talking. In the last ten years, Bechtel has
contributed almost a million dollars to election campaigns of members of Congress.

Since Bechtel remains a private corporation the company has been quiet about its
connections with the current Bush Administration. Considering Bechtel's cozy
relationship with past Republican Administrations and President Bush's trend of
recycling former politicos, it is more than likely that Bechtel has formed strong ties
with Bush. Bush's energy plan is corporate friendly and nuclear friendly, a formula
most likely very attractive to Bechtel.

Subsidiaries and other relationships with other corporations

Some among the many Bechtel alliances and joint ventures are Bechtel Bettis, Inc - a
subsidiary that manages and operates the U.S. navy Nuclear Propulsion Program Bettis
Atomic Power Laboratory for the U.S. Department of Energy. InterGen - a joint venture
with Shell to develop, own, and operate state-of-the-art power plants and related fuel
and energy infrastructure around the world. International Water, Ltd (IWL) An
international water development service company owned jointly by Bechtel Enterprises
and Edison S.p.A. Lectrix, A joint venture of American Electric Power (AEP), Bechtel
and Siemens to provide industrial power quality solutions transmission network
enhancements (6).

For longer version of this factsheet click here.

This factsheet was prepared by Dena Montague of the Arms Trade Resource Center
<www.worldpolicy.org/projects/arms>. For more information visit <www.bechtel.com> and
<www.bechtelnevada.com>.

Footnotes:
(1) Bechtel Global Report 2000
(2) Riccio, Jim. "Incompetence, Wheeling and Dealing: The Real Bechtel" Multinational
Monitor October, 1989.
(3) McCartney, Laton. Friends in High Places The Bechtel Story: The Most Secret
Corporation and how it Engineered the World. Simon & Schuster, 1998, p. 115.
(4) ibid 119
(5) ibid 104
(6) Bechtel Global Report 2000

Special thanks to Antonia Juhasz, Global Exchange, <www.globalexchange.org> and Pratap
Chatterjee, Corporate Watch, <www.corpwatch.org>.

For More Profiles:

Alliant
Bechtel Inc.
Boeing
British Aerospace Electronics (BAE Systems)
British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL)
General Dynamics
IBM
Lockheed Martin
Mitsubishi
Raytheon
Siemens
TRW
University of California

Forwarded for info and discussion from the New Paradigms Discussion List,
not necessarily endorsed by:

Lloyd Miller, Research Director for A-albionic Research a ruling
class/conspiracy research resource for the entire political-ideological
spectrum. **FREE RARE BOOK SEARCH: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> **
   Explore Our Archive:  <http://a-albionic.com/a-albionic.html>