-Caveat Lector-

(Dr. Z is apparently Dr. Steven J. Hatfill, 48, formerly working in McLean,
Virginia, for defense contractor Science Applications
International Corp., according to the Baltimore Sun article. Maybe it was
part of his job at SAIC. --SW)

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/02/opinion/02KRIS.html

July 2, 2002

Anthrax? The F.B.I. Yawns

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

The F.B.I.'s bumbling before 9/11 is water under the bridge. But the bureau's
lackadaisical ineptitude in pursuing the anthrax killer continues to threaten
America's national security by permitting him to strike again or, more
likely, to flee to Iran or North Korea.

Almost everyone who has encountered the F.B.I. anthrax investigation is
aghast at the bureau's lethargy. Some in the biodefense community think they
know a likely culprit, whom I'll call Mr. Z. Although the bureau has
polygraphed Mr. Z, searched his home twice and interviewed him four times, it
has not placed him under surveillance or asked its outside handwriting expert
to compare his writing to that on the anthrax letters.

This is part of a larger pattern. Astonishingly, the F.B.I. allowed the
destruction of anthrax stocks at Iowa State University, losing what might
have been valuable genetic clues. Then it waited until December to open the
intact anthrax envelope it found. The F.B.I. didn't obtain anthrax strains
from various labs for comparison until March, and the testing is still not
complete. The bureau did not systematically polygraph scientists at two
suspect labs, Fort Detrick, Md., and Dugway Proving Ground in Utah, until a
month ago.

Perhaps it's a cheap shot for an armchair detective to whine about the
caution of dedicated and exceptionally hard-working investigators. Yet months
pass and the bureau continues to act like, well, a bureaucracy, plodding
along in slow motion. People in the biodefense field first gave Mr. Z's name
to the bureau as a suspect in October, and I wrote about him elliptically in
a column on May 24.

He denies any wrongdoing, and his friends are heartsick at suspicions
directed against a man they regard as a patriot. Some of his polygraphs show
evasion, I hear, although that may be because of his temperament.

If Mr. Z were an Arab national, he would have been imprisoned long ago. But
he is a true-blue American with close ties to the U.S. Defense Department,
the C.I.A. and the American biodefense program. On the other hand, he was
once caught with a girlfriend in a biohazard "hot suite" at Fort Detrick,
surrounded only by blushing germs.

With many experts buzzing about Mr. Z behind his back, it's time for the
F.B.I. to make a move: either it should go after him more aggressively,
sifting thoroughly through his past and picking up loose threads, or it
should seek to exculpate him and remove this cloud of suspicion.

Whoever sent the anthrax probably had no intention of killing people; the
letters warned recipients to take antibiotics. My guess is that the goal was
to help America by raising preparedness against biological attacks in the
future.

So it seems fair to ask the F.B.I. a few questions:

Do you know how many identities and passports Mr. Z has and are you
monitoring his international travel? I have found at least one alias for him,
and he has continued to travel abroad on government assignments, even to
Central Asia.

Why was his top security clearance suspended in August, less than a month
before the anthrax attacks began? This move left him infuriated. Are
the C.I.A. and military intelligence agencies cooperating fully with the
investigation?

Have you searched the isolated residence that he had access to last fall? The
F.B.I. has known about this building, and knows that Mr. Z gave
Cipro to people who visited it. This property and many others are legally
registered in the name of a friend of Mr. Z, but may be safe houses
operated by American intelligence.

Have you examined whether Mr. Z has connections to the biggest anthrax
outbreak among humans ever recorded, the one that sickened more
than 10,000 black farmers in Zimbabwe in 1978-80? There is evidence that the
anthrax was released by the white Rhodesian Army fighting
against black guerrillas, and Mr. Z has claimed that he participated in the
white army's much-feared Selous Scouts. Could rogue elements of the American
military have backed the Rhodesian Army in anthrax and cholera attacks
against blacks? Mr. Z's résumé also claims involvement in the former South
African Defense Force; all else aside, who knew that the U.S. Defense
Department would pick an American who had served in the armed forces of two
white-racist regimes to work in the American biodefense program with some of
the world's deadliest germs?

What now? When do you shift into high gear?

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company
"In little more than a year we have gone from enjoying peace
and the most prosperous economy in our history, to a nation
plunged into war, recession and fear. This is a nation being
transformed before our very eyes."

http://www.truthout.com

Steve Wingate, Webmaster
ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES