-Caveat Lector-

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Former Nazi Convicted of Ordering Executions

July 6, 2002
By STEVEN ERLANGER

BERLIN, July 5 - In what could be one of Germany's last
trials of Nazis, a Hamburg court today sentenced a former
SS officer to seven years in prison for ordering the
killing of 59 Italian prisoners in 1944.

The former SS officer, Friedrich Engel, now 93 years old,
showed no emotion as the judge read out the guilty verdict.
Mr. Engel was a major in command of the SS intelligence
unit in Genoa, Italy, in May 1944, when a partisan attack
on a movie theater killed five German soldiers. The
Italians were trying to drive out the Germans, who had
occupied Italy, their former ally.

Mr. Engel was convicted of ordering the execution of the
Italian prisoners, who were chained together and shot one
after another.

Mr. Engel blamed Nazi naval officers for the shootings and
testified that he did not supervise the executions,
although he admitted that he was present and had approved
the list of prisoners to be shot.

After the verdict, he was allowed to return home to await
health tests to determine whether he is fit to serve prison
time. His lawyer, Udo Kneip, said he would discuss an
appeal with his client.

During the trial, which began May 7, Mr. Engel expressed
regret for the killings but said they were justified by the
rules of war.

Walter Emig, 79, a German submarine crew member who
witnessed the killings, testified that Mr. Engel had been
in charge.

Mr. Engel had been convicted in absentia by an Italian
court in 1999 for killing at least 246 Italian prisoners in
four separate incidents. German law prevents the
extradition of German citizens for crimes committed abroad.

Before the verdict, he told reporters: "I have two wars
behind me, and in my youth I learned that toughness is good
for you. I have learned my whole life to react with
toughness."

The presiding judge, Rolf Seedorf, said, "It was a cruel
and illegal killing," but he cited the length of time since
the crime and the uneven nature of witnesses' testimony as
justifications for handing down a lesser sentence than the
life imprisonment the prosecutor demanded. The death
penalty is illegal in Germany and the rest of the European
Union.

Mr. Engel had been living in Hamburg for decades until
German television reporters making a documentary found him.
Italy then pressed Germany to put him on trial.

Mr. Engel had been investigated by the Hamburg authorities
in 1969 for his role in Nazi executions in Italy, but the
case was dropped the same year; the files explaining why
have disappeared.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/06/international/europe/06GERM.html?ex=1026925882&ei=1&en=6bc83ca3def4e99e

HOW TO ADVERTISE
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company