-Caveat Lector-

>From SF GATE

}}}>Begin
       www.sfgate.com       Return to regular view

U.S. Christians find cause to aid Israel
Evangelicals financing immigrants, settlements
Danielle Haas, Chronicle Foreign Service
Wednesday, July 10, 2002
©2002 San Francisco Chronicle.

Tel Aviv -- The largest contingent of American Jewish immigrants in years stepped
off the El Al charter flight at Ben Gurion International Airport on Tuesday, overjoyed
at the chance to begin their new lives in Israel.

Forgotten amid all the excitement was the fact that many of the 371 newcomers had
been bankrolled by grants from U.S. evangelical Christians, who regard the return of
Jews to the Holy Land as part of an apocalyptic prophecy foretold in the Bible.

"What I'm seeing is the Scriptures being fulfilled right before our very eyes," said
Bishop Huey Harris, whose First Pentecostal Tabernacle Church in Elkton, Md.,
raised $2,500 from its congregation to help finance the American Jews' journey.

"What's next? I'm looking for the church to be raptured, Jesus returning for the
church . . . and the Jews would receive him as their Messiah."

UNDETERRED BY BOMBINGS

That was far from the mind of Noa Hirsch, a 22-year-old law student from Pittsburgh,
as she basked in the greeting by hundreds of well-wishers at the airport. Hirsch said
she had come to Israel "to join my people in my land," and she refused to be
deterred by the fact that Jerusalem, her new home, has been a frequent target of
Palestinian suicide bombers.

"Maybe I'm being foolish, but I don't think so," she said. "Terror is everywhere. I'm
not going to let someone tell me how to live my life."

The past 21 months of violence with the Palestinians have prompted American
Christian evangelicals to find more reason than ever to support the Jewish state. A
growing number have visited the region -- appearing on radio and talk shows,
increasing their financial donations to Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza
and even financing advertisements on Israeli television stressing their "unwavering
friendship" with Israel.

'BEHIND ISRAEL'

"This is the time to show we are behind Israel," Gary Bauer, former GOP presidential
candidate and prominent member of the religious right, said during his first trip to
Israel this month.

"This is an amazing moment in our relations. I think what we are seeing is the forging
of a lasting alliance with Jews."

Fundamentalist Christian support for the Jewish people is not new, especially among
an evangelical subset known as Christian Zionists, who make up an estimated 3
million of America's 98 million evangelicals. Religious experts believe that some 30
million Christians have some Zionist beliefs.

BIBLICAL PROPHECY

Doctrinally, they regard the ingathering of Jewish exiles as the fulfillment of
biblical
prophecy that will precede the Second Coming and end of days. Such a belief has
tended to fill many Jews with suspicion and made for mutually tense relations.

But the current intense round of Middle East bloodshed has caused the iciness to
thaw and the relationship to blossom.

"The change has not been so much in the Christians as with Israelis and Jews, who
are feeling very isolated in the world," said Rabbi David Rosen, director of
interreligious affairs at the American-Jewish Committee.

"What you are seeing is an increasing Jewish awareness of evangelical support for
Israel that has led both representatives of Israel and organized Jewish communities
to be more effusive in their attitudes toward them."

The shift could have important political ramifications in the United States.

While pro-Israel advocates once looked to liberal Democrats for their main support,
they are increasingly warming to conservative Republicans, whose pet causes such
as school prayer have long been anathema to many Jews.

Manifestations of the growing relationship are being seen increasingly on both sides
of the Atlantic -- including a recent speech by House Majority Whip Tom DeLay, R-
Texas, to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee conference,

an invitation to Attorney General John Ashcroft to speak to the Anti- Defamation
League -- despite a statement it issued in January criticizing his remark that in
America, "We have no king but Jesus" -- and a warm welcome for Christian
conservative figures at a large pro-Israel rally in Washington last April.

LETTER TO SHARON

In Israel this week, Bauer presented Prime Minister Ariel Sharon with a letter signed
by several leading members of the Christian right including Jerry Falwell, expressing
the belief that Israel has shown "incredible restraint in the face of wanton violence
aimed at innocent Israeli citizens."

Last month, Earl G. Cox, a longtime Republican activist who served in four
presidential administrations, announced that he was buying a series of commercials
on Israel's Channel Two television to "announce to the people of Israel that the vast
majority of American Christians recognize Israel as their friend and ally."

"Enemies of Israel must clearly understand that when they attack the Jewish state
they take on millions of American Christians who passionately embrace the Jewish
people," Cox told reporters.

Attempting to consolidate the evangelicals' support, Yehiel Eckstein, an Orthodox
American rabbi who is president of the International Fellowship of Christians and
Jews, has started a "Stand with Israel" program.

$60 MILLION IN DONATIONS

Eckstein, who as head of the Jerusalem Friendship Fund for the past eight years
claims to have collected some $60 million in donations from the evangelical
community to assist Jewish immigration, has joined forces with former Christian
Coalition head Ralph Reed, now a leading GOP consultant, as part of the effort.
Their plans include an Internet site for supporters of Israel to write their
congressional representatives.

Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza have been among the most
significant beneficiaries of the Christian support.

'ADOPT-A-SETTLEMENT'

"We've seen financial support . . . to the settlements double during the past 21
months," said Sondra Oster Baras, an Orthodox Jew and director of the Israel office
of the Colorado-based Christian Friends of Israeli Communities, which runs an
"Adopt- a-Settlement Program."

While declining to elaborate, other than to say the amount was in the low "hundreds
of thousands of dollars," Baras estimated that one-third of the 145 Israeli settlements
receive funds from Christians.

Jewish settlements benefiting from Christian contributions include Itamar and
Hebron. One of the largest settlements, Ariel, has had close relations with the
evangelical Faith Bible Chapel in Arvada, Colo., which "adopted" Ariel before the
intifada -- one of about 40 such relationships established by the Christian Friends of
Israel Communities.

The financial donations have been matched by the continued arrival of Christian
visitors, part of a conscious effort by Israel's Tourism Ministry to work with specific
churches and encouraging Christian media to come to the country.

"Despite the security situation, during this time we are seeing more and more groups
like this that are coming to Israel -- not just to see holy places but combining it
with
solidarity reasons for the state of Israel," said Arie Sommer, head of the ministry's
overseas marketing division.

SEPT. 11 ATTACKS

Just as the violence with the Palestinians has been one factor intensifying
evangelical Christians' interest in recent months, so too has Sept. 11.

"It really resonated; people could identify with the war against terrorism, " said
David
Parsons of the International Christian Embassy, a Christian support group for Israel
in Jerusalem.

American evangelicals' closer political relationship with Israel began when the
conservative Likud party first came to power in 1977. Prime Minister Menachem
Begin found common ground with such leaders as Falwell and Christian Coalition
founder Pat Robertson.

U.S. evangelical leaders have frequently met with Likud members, including Sharon,
Jerusalem Mayor Ehud Olmert and ex-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who told
an evangelical audience in Washington in 1998 that "we have no greater friends and
allies than the people sitting in this room."

That is, possibly, until George W. Bush assumed the White House. His sympathy for
Israel's military responses to Palestinian terror attacks is attributed by some
analysts
to his born-again religious convictions.

But Baras said that the Christian Friends of Israel Communities has "ground rules"
when working with Christians that include a ban on evangelizing. "They don't try to
convince us, and we don't try to convince them," she said.

"This organization stands for building bridges between the two religions. I'm confident
enough in my belief and leave heaven and hell up to God."

RELIGIOUS WOLVES

Other Jews are less sure, fearing that fundamentalist Christians are religious wolves
in sheep's clothing, extending the hand of friendship in the present while believing in
an eventual endgame of conversion or death for Jews upon Jesus' return.

In February, Dov Lior, the chief rabbi of the West Bank settlement of Kiryat Arba,
said he had blocked settlements in Gaza from accepting bulletproof vests from
evangelicals. And the governments been reluctant to allow METV, an evangelical
Christian television station that had operated from southern Lebanon until Israel
withdrew, to erect a transmitter in Ariel.

Nor has Christian support for Jews won friends among Palestinian Christians,

most of whom belong to the Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholic church.

©2002 San Francisco Chronicle.  Page A - 1
End<{{{

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway