Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:12:53 -0500
From: David McDivitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: (fwd) John Stossel Hosts a Special "20/20" on Media Hype

To: "Stossel Letter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: John Stossel Hosts a Special "20/20" on Media Hype
From: John Stossel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:05:16 -0700

This Friday's "20/20" is about us...fooling YOU.
I host "20/20" this week -- both Barbara and John Miller have a night off
-- and I'll use the hour to look at the how we (the media) may mislead
you.
Sometimes the media distort pictures. I'll show you how.

The Communists killed Trotsky and then removed him from Soviet
photographs. Now computers make it easier. Remember when some people booed
Hillary Clinton at a fund-raising concert after September 11th? MTV
replayed the concert, but changed the boos to applause. "TV Guide" put
Oprah Winfrey on its cover, but gave her Ann-Margret's body. Steven
Spielberg took guns out of the remake of "ET." Of course, that's just
entertainment. It's worse if NEWS organizations distort. I'll tell you
what ABCNEWS has done. And what I did.

Even when we don't distort, we can still mislead by hyping tiny risks. You
heard about "road rage," but did you know there's no evidence of road rage
increasing? The media reports were mostly based on -- get this: a study of
MEDIA REPORTS of road rage. It was circular logic.

And the reason for all those shark attack reports last year was NOT an
increase in the number of attacks, it was just hype! We'll show you how,
and why.

And what aren't those glossy magazines telling you about those cars they
love?  Some important news. Maybe it was because the media are "on the
take." OK, not really "on the take," but we get influenced by people being
nice to us, or giving us things, or advertising with us. We'll tell you
about the cozy relationship between car magazines and car makers.

And did you hear about the the dog brothel (a cathouse for dogs!), and the
cockroach that cured colds? All were hoaxes, OBVIOUS hoaxes, that
nevertheless fooled the gullible media. I'll introduce you to the hoaxer,
who tricks the media, he says, because he wants to show how intellectually
lazy we are.
He has a point. Journalists work hard, but we are intellectually lazy when
we focus on sharks rather than undertows; road rage, or car-jackings,
rather than drunken driving. It's bad journalism, and as Bob Lichter of
the Statistical Assessment Service puts it, bad journalism is worse than
no journalism, because it leads people to think they know things, when
they don't.

---
For more on this and the all the latest news, go to
http://abcnews.go.com/Sections/2020/index.html?cmp=EM1388

--
http://nonspiritual.com

Or send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]