-Caveat Lector-

Bear with me, I'm answering a couple of days' worth of posts in one
shot.

<<This will teach me to answer my email before im really awake>>

That's why I didn't do this earlier. :-D

<<There are many ways to teach reading, and phonics is only one of
them. (whole language approach is another, as an example)>>

Making phonics fun: the TV show Wheel of Fortune is an excellent tool
for teaching the kids to read. Each letter is pronounced by the
contestants, Vanna shows what the letter looks like, and, unlike
teaching simple ABCs, the letters are NOT in alphabetical order. The
viewer can see how each word is put together by individual letters.

<<You are confusing levels here

You obviously will not be having 1st graders read weighty tomes on
diversity. But once kids get the basics, you can use more thoughtful
materials, as part of a combined curriculum, that teaches reading
skills such as comprehension, as well as whatever the subject matter
is. Reading is more than being able to get the words right.>>

Getting the words right is THE fundamental skill required for reading.
Phonics breaks words down into individual sounds. When the reader comes
upon an unfamiliar word, if he or she has been taught phonics, the word
can be sounded out. If whole language is used, the person will not
recognize the word, and probably have to ask "What's this word?"

<<Reading is the ability to get the words, extract meaning, examine for
consistency, and being able to reflect your own thought against the
material, in order to come to some conclusions. Phonics only teaches
getting the words right.>>

The first 2 skills are indeed part of reading; however, the latter fall
more under critical thinking than reading. One can read, do the first 2
skills, without being able to do the last 2.

<< Schools need to focus on the 3 r's - and also the additional r's of
reason, rhyme, and respect.>>

I'm assuming by "rhyme" a poetic description of the way things are. The
second 3 r's, in a traditional education, would come about as part of
the normal course of events, and would not have to be "taught." They
are best taught by example.

<< Actually, I happen to agree completely with this. So do my parents,
who, again, worked within the public schools for over 50 years,
collectively. More than that, acutally, when I think about it.>>

Just like everything else, they don't make teachers like they used to.

<<Interestingly enough, my mother taught Humanities, which is American
lit and history. She taught the lit portion - it was a two hour class.
Anyway, there was a lot of discussion in the public school
administration in that district about how students shoudn't be taught
all these "dead white guys,">>

uh, apparently the administration flunked American history and
literature. Either that or it is a conspiratorial attempt to dumb down
the curriculum. Probably both.
<<and that they should be taught a multi-cultural curriculum, as
American history and culture has more to do with other ideas than just
the classical Greeks.

Fine. But, the fact remains that the classical Greeks had a major
influence on our Founders, as did the government of the Romans. And
those "dead whiteguys" who wrote a lot did shape the minds and hearts
of the people who helped to shape this culture. Now, of course that is
not the only factor, but it is a major one. Like it or not, much of
American lit is "dead white guys." Even so, there were people such as
Maya Angelou that we read as well in Humanities.>>

Precisely. My sons are familiar, not with Angelou yet, but with an
assortment of non-DWGs.

<<But it was never about teaching that these "dead white guys" had all
the answers. Far from it. It was much more about "this is what shaped
American culture." I mean, we even had to read James Fenimore Cooper,
who is completely awful, but he did write the first American novel. And
there was no pretense that he was a great novelist, just that he was
the first one in the US. We also read Steinbeck and Walt Whitman, and
many others. I say this in first person as I actually took the class,
and it was quite good - and, no favoitism there. I had to work my butt
off just to get an A- average in that class.>>

BTW, Whitman was gay, not exactly the stereotypical DWG, although he
indeed is all 3.

<<But my mom retired some years ago, and the only thing keeping that
class alive is her team teacher, who is getting ready to retire,
himself. Once he does, American Humanities will be dead in this high
school. It was my mom's cirriculum, drawn up in an age when teachers
were allowed to do that sort of thing. >>

I have friends who are teachers who have told me about intense
frustration because they can't teach things that they think are
important for the children to learn, because of so much state- and
federally-mandates. In New Jersey, teacher performance is evaluated
based on test scores and test scores alone. Guess where the emphasis
is.

<<And, it, too, will soon go the way of the multi-cultural education.
Who knows if the students will read The Grapes of Wrath in that future
class? Probably not. It's sad, honestly.>>

Unless they use the poor, exploited worker's angle.

<< The job of the school is NOT to teach you everything you will need
to know for the rest of your life - it is to give you the basics,
basis, and techniques, so you can continue to learn for the rest of
your life.>>

Absolutely. And "teaching to the test" does exactly the opposite.

<< Tolerance is PC propaganda to keep the people decadent, mindless,
and easy to corral. Diversity is to keep the people bickering, divided
and unable to stand against the very same tyrants that are pushing this
PC garbage on them.>>

In political circles, it's called "balkanization." Look at how much
time we've spent on this thread on this list. At least we are having
honest discussions.

I'll get to the rest of the posts later, I've got to attend to family
matters.

Tenorlove

http://autos.yahoo.com