--- Begin Message --- -Caveat Lector- AFSPC -- ‘Eyes’ in fight against terrorism

by Tech. Sgt. Buzz Ritchie
341st Space Wing Public Affairs

10/02/01 - MALMSTROM AIR FORCE BASE, Mont. (AFPN) -- When the United States wages war against terrorism, it will fight looking through the eyes of Air Force Space Command.
The United States will never go to war without the space systems operated by AFSPC, said Gen. Ralph E. Eberhart, AFSPC commander.
“Whatever this nation does, wherever they do it, they’re not going to leave home without us,” Eberhart said while discussing the role his command plays in national defense and global stability. “The capabilities we provide in terms of intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance and global communication are very important in the on-going Operation Enduring Freedom.”
Operation Enduring Freedom is the military campaign to combat terrorism announced by President Bush following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and hijackings in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania.
The command’s high-tech data is now more useful than ever, Eberhart said. “The intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance imagery we’re able to get is much easier to read,” he said. The data is also sent to U.S. warfighters much more quickly thanks to how AFSPC operators receive the images from satellites and pass along the data to battle commanders.
The military satellites operated by the command now provide information the Department of Defense can not get from reconnaissance aircraft like the U-2 Dragon Lady or SR-71 Blackbird. And those communication satellites enable the United States to remain a global power.

[Rising to notice in the Persian Gulf war, Eberhart is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.  (http://www.af.mil/news/biographies/eberhart_re.html)]

From an April 4, 2000 speech by Eberhart:
[http://www.norad.mil/cinc0404.htm]

"As early as about 390 BC, Sun Tzu said ... 'All warfare is based on deception.' He also said: 'Know your enemy and know yourself. In a hundred battles you’ll never be imperiled.' Then in 1590…a completely different type of individual…Frances Bacon said: 'Knowledge is power.' Then in 1890 ... Mahan said: 'Communications dominate war,' maybe the single most important element of strategy.

And then in 1990, Colin Powell said: "Information is the lifeblood of a military organization," "Communications are force multipliers."

"We all know how important information is... Information is important to us because [for] many of us in this room…a big part of our job jar is providing information to others so that they can make a right decision at the right time. And when we look at our [computerized] information networks… they are a source of national power…because they’re a source of economic and military power."
______________

"Critics say there should be no military use of space, but Gen. Ralph E. Eberhart, commander of Air Force Space Command, said May 6 [2001] ... "'We have, in fact, militarized space,' he said. 'We use space assets, space information for military applications. We've been doing that for decades. The trend is increasing; not just the United States of America, but also other countries, friends, and possible foes.'

"Satellite imagery, missile warning and targeting information that space-based systems provide have proven their military worth to U.S. defense planners throughout the past decade, Eberhart said. That data, for instance, contributed to victory during Operation Desert Storm and the 1999 Kosovo air campaign.

"... Sometime in April, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld is expected to provide his formal response to recommendations in a report issued Jan. 11 by the Commission to Assess U.S. National Security Space Management and Organization.  Prior to his nomination to be secretary, Rumsfeld chaired the commission, which, among other things, sought to determine if any changes need to be made to improve the United States' national security posture."

[from http://www.iwar.org.uk/news-archive/2001/space/08-10-01.htm]
______________

http://www.house.gov/hasc/openingstatementsandpressreleases/107thcongress/02-03-14eberhart.html

Eberhart addressing the House Armed Services Committee Mar 14 2002:

"On 2 April 2001, we activated the Joint Task Force-Computer Network Operations (JTF-CNO) to better align our computer network defense and attack missions and improve unity of command.  In addition, the JTF-CNO makes more efficient use of available resources, establishes a clear cross-agency coordination process, and eases integration with the intelligence community and other mission partners.  Computer Network Defense continues to be our top priority, with the goal to ensure stable, effective networks for the Department of Defense.  Our experience with the Code Red Worm and its variants underscored our reliance on INTERNET connectivity and the vulnerability of our gateways.  While the effects of many viruses and intrusions caused considerable damage to the commercial sector, we have been able to keep our networks operating at peak performance.  In OEF, we have sustained proactive defensive postures based on potential threats, verified Information Assurance Vulnerability Assessment compliance, and maintained heightened operational security levels.  For the long term, we are assessing technical and operational solutions to further strengthen the Defense Information Infrastructure."

___________

Military fears attacks from cyberspace
By Bill Gertz, The Washington Times

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/default-2001329223321.htm

The commander of the U.S. Space Command said yesterday he is worried about China's growing capability to conduct computer warfare against U.S. military networks. Air Force Gen. Ralph E. Eberhart also said North Korea, Iran, Iraq and other nations are working on cyber-attack capabilities that threaten the U.S. military's increasing reliance on information systems.

Regarding the Chinese, he said: "We see it espoused in their doctrine, but we don't know if they in fact intend to use it, when and how they would use it and what the triggering mechanism would be. "It concerns us when we see these capabilities out there," Gen. Eberhart said during a breakfast meeting with defense reporters.

Like the use of satellites for communications, "we've become so reliant on our computer systems, our information, and as we train and exercise and are involved in these contingency operations, we've come to take those capabilities . . . for granted," he said.

China's official military newspaper, Liberation Army Daily, stated in 1999 that the Chinese military planned to elevate information warfare to a separate service on par with its army, navy and air force. U.S. intelligence officials have said China has conducted military exercises involving information attacks. China also is suspected of conducting some computer attacks on Taiwan's computer infrastructure.

Computer warfare could involve blocking the military's use of computers by introducing viruses or firing electromagnetic bursts to disrupt operations. Or, "worse yet, display information on our computers that was wrong," Gen. Eberhart said.

Military commanders are more concerned about acting on falsely supplied computer information than having no information at all. Loss of computer access is less of a problem because those engaged in combat could rely instead on intuition or experience on the battlefield, he said. "The worst thing to do is have the wrong information and act as a result," Gen. Eberhart said.

The U.S. Space Command, which the four-star general heads, is located in Colorado. It provides warning of a possible missile attack, tracks objects in space and would be in charge of conducting warfare involving space weapons.

Recently, the command became the military unit in charge of what the Pentagon calls "computer network defense" and its offensive counterpart, "computer network attack." The military has "a long way to go" in preparing for cyber-battle, he said. The problem is that the technology and techniques of computer network attackers in the hands of potential enemies keeps advancing as the military develops ways to deter and stop them.

"Right now we're pretty good at what I call a 'burglar alarm,' like a burglar alarm that you would have on your house so that when somebody opens the window or crawls inside we know they are there," he said. "What we need is a neighborhood watch. We need to know when they are getting close."

That will require better monitoring of computer networks for unusual activity.

"The sad part of this is that although we worry about state-sponsored . . . capabilities out there from other nations, this is an area where terrorists can certainly play, this is an area where [drug] cartels can play," Gen. Eberhart said.

Checking the origin of computer network attacks is difficult and it is hard to discern whether an attack comes from a foreign state, a terrorist group or a teen-age hacker, he said. Asked which countries he worries about in addition to China, Gen. Eberhart said: "I think that you'll see North Korea obviously is becoming interested in this. I think you'll see Iraq and Iran are interested in developing these capabilities." India and other technologically advanced countries, while not in the same category, also could carry out information warfare, he said.

"Any country that has that type of activity in terms of computer networks, in terms of software development, I think you could assume they could apply that for military purposes, if they so choose," he said. Although he did not mention Russia, other U.S. intelligence officials have said Moscow is working on computer network-attack capabilities.

On offensive cyber-warfare, Gen. Eberhart said, "We're looking at all applications of computer network attack."

The general said his command conducted a war game earlier this year that played out a space warfare scenario in 2017 between unidentified nations that planned a conventional invasion, and a country with well-developed space attack capabilities. Gen. Eberhart said the United States has a rudimentary anti-satellite weapon "on the shelf" that could be used in a conflict but that blowing up satellites is a "last ditch option."

<A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>