-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0230/cotts.php

Press Clips
by Cynthia Cotts
Laundering the 'Truth'
'The Nation' Defuses a French Bombshell
July 24 - 30, 2002

ccording to the back cover of Forbidden Truth, a bestseller published in

France last fall and released in this country last week, a round of "secret diplomacy
between the Bush
administration and the Taliban" may have provoked Osama bin Laden into launching the
September 11
attacks.

As proof, authors Jean-Charles Brisard and Guillaume Dasquié point to a July 2001
meeting of a UN initiative
known as Six Plus Two, formed to discuss Afghanistan's future and to offer incentives
for building a Central
Asian oil pipeline. The group that met in July included two former U.S. ambassadors,
ostensibly chosen to
float ideas that could not be traced to the U.S. government. At the meeting, according
to one participant,
one of the Americans informed the group, "Either you accept our offer of a carpet of
gold, or we bury you
under a carpet of bombs." And when news of this unusual military threat reached bin
Laden, the authors
imply, he launched a preemptive strike on the U.S.

With an outrageous premise like that, it's no wonder that chapter six of Forbidden
Truth has been touted as
the smoking gun that proves Bush's indirect responsibility for 9-11—or that Nation
Books, the publishing arm
of The Nation, has just published the book in English. What's really interesting is
that after The Nation's hard-
nosed Washington editor, David Corn, denounced the authors as conspiracy theorists,
Nation Books neatly
excised the smoking-gun allegations from the text.

The smoking-gun claim first appeared in the foreword of the book's original edition,
in which the authors
dubbed the 9-11 attacks "a foreseeable" and "tragic" "outcome" of the UN initiative.
But the foreword in the
Nation Books edition merely states that the 9-11 attacks were "possibly the outcome"
of the UN initiative, and
soberly calls for "further investigation." A similar text massage was performed at the
end of chapter six.

Toning down of this sort is standard practice for conscientious editors, but in this
case it's the equivalent of
buying a manuscript that states unequivocally that the CIA killed John F. Kennedy—and
then publishing a
book that speculates that the CIA might have killed John Kennedy.

Asked if he believes the central thesis of Forbidden Truth, Nation publisher Victor
Navasky said, "Based on
our reading of the book, the authors made some adjustments, so what may have been a
thesis is now a
speculation. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I believe Oswald killed Kennedy and
probably did it by himself, but
I think it's important to raise questions."

And no one raised louder questions than Corn. A few months ago, after reading a
preliminary translation of
the book, Corn wrote an internal memo critiquing it and opposing its publication. In
May, he wrote a piece for
The Nation that debunked what he calls the 9-11 conspiracy theorists. Describing
Forbidden Truth, Corn later
wrote, "I have rarely seen such shoddy and lazy journalism," adding that the book is
"almost entirely
unsourced" and that the authors gave "no sense that they had interviewed any single
player in their tale."
For The Nation to promote such a book is "just plain exploitative," he told the Los
Angeles Times, which first
reported the dispute. Among other things, Corn is not convinced that the diplomats in
question were
speaking for the Bush administration.

Corn declined to comment on The Nation's internal affairs. But when informed that
Truth has turned to
speculation in the English edition, he said, "I don't know whether to find it
heartening or curious that an
essential point of the book seems to have been changed. In the edition I read, the
authors said the 9-11
attacks were a direct result of these talks, but now the book says they may have been
the direct result of
these talks. I still have my doubts about any reporting team that made the first
highly provocative statement
without being able to come close to supporting it."

To be sure, one man's scandal is another man's brilliant career. Nation Books
editorial director Carl Bromley
says his goal is to be a "progressive popular publisher," offering books with
"political urgency." Because the
imprint is part of the nonprofit Nation Institute, Bromley has the luxury of
concentrating on building an
audience, which he describes as "the kind of people who read the Guardian online."

About Truth, Bromley said, "I worked very hard on the book, and I have no problem
publishing it. It's not a
conspiracy-theory book." Asked if he would have published it if he did not believe it,
Bromley said, "I'm sure
there are corporate publishers that do that, but I won't publish something if I think
it's a load of bullshit. I was
raised as a good Catholic boy and a Communist, so I'm not allowed to lie."

Bromley said he had been intrigued since he read about the book in the Guardian and Le
Monde Diplomatique.
"Those for me are the most credible news sources." Then in November 2001, the Voice's
James Ridgeway
wrote that the authors "are big in the French spook world." Bromley recalled, "That
alerted me that these
guys aren't kooks. These are writers telling a story that really needed an American
audience."

By March, Bromley had snapped up the North American rights to the book and begun
canvassing people to
review it. "David represented one extreme, while others were very enthusiastic," he
said. "The clincher was a
very serious and tough critic who is not a conspiracy theorist and hadn't been
following the story. We gave
him the book cold. He had some disagreements, but overall he felt the book was
important and had to be
published." Bromley declined to name the mystery vetter, but sources identify him as
Scott Sherman, a
contributing editor at The Columbia Journalism Review. Sherman responded, "I was asked
for my confidential
opinion and I gave it. "

Then there was the fact checker. "With a book of this kind we have to be quite
scrupulous," Bromley
explained. "Some of the charges in the Saudi Arabia chapters are quite strong, so we
employed a fact
checker. The poor guy spent two months living and breathing this book. He must have
been psychologically
damaged."

Bromley praises co-author Jean-Charles Brisard, 32, who worked with him on the edit.
(Apparently it was
Guillaume Dasquié who wrote the "secret diplomacy" chapters, while Brisard was
responsible for the
confessions of former FBI official John P. O'Neill that appear in the prologue and for
the study of Saudi
Arabian financial networks that forms the second half of the book.)

Brisard appears to be spoiling for a fight. In a letter posted on the Nation Web site
last week, he called Corn's
Nation article "irrelevant" and dubbed Corn a "nonprofessional on these issues." His
own credentials include
running Vivendi's corporate intelligence unit and writing a 1997 report on Al Qaeda
networks at the behest of
the French government. (Did I mention that Brisard often shows up on Salon?)

"I like David and I don't want to get into a pissing match with him," said Bromley.
Navasky praised Corn's
"expertise in the intelligence area," adding, "There's nothing unusual about the fact
that two authors
disagree about something. You're talking about a magazine that has published Cockburn
and Hitchens for 20
years."

Tell us what you think. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-mail this story to a friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of information for
non-profit research and
educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway