-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.onlinejournal.com/Commentary/Thoreau080102/thoreau080102.html

Invading Iraq has little to do with "War on Terrorism"

By Jackson Thoreau
Online Journal Contributing Writer

All wars come down to the possession of wealth.—Plato

August 1, 2002—I have studied pacifism, but I'm not a pacifist. I try to practice
Christianity,
but I don't always turn the other cheek. I don't own a gun, but I keep a baseball bat
under
my bed, and if someone broke into my house with the intent of harming my family, you
better believe I'd use it.

I guess you could say I'm a realistic idealist.

So when it comes to this question that the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee is
tackling, whether we have the right to invade Iraq again, I do not approach this
without
some heavy pondering, unlike the illegitimate one in the White House who displays
little
signs of a conscience.

It's difficult to say which country has been ravaged more by war and economic woes in
the
past decade, Afghanistan or Iraq. In the Persian Gulf War of 1990–91, when our bombs
destroyed many Iraqi civilian facilities, such as homes, schools, mosques, and
hospitals,
more than 100,000 Iraqis died, along with 148 Americans. Since the United Nations
imposed economic sanctions on Iraq after it invaded Kuwait in 1990, more than one
million
additional Iraqis—many of them children under the age of five—have died of sanctions-
related causes, such as amoebic dysentery and starvation.

Diseases could have been treated, and thus many lives saved, had relief workers with
such
groups as the Red Cross, Voices in the Wilderness, and Veterans for Peace been able to
get basic medicines to these children. Meanwhile, companies like Halliburton can make
millions by selling Iraq oil equipment through European subsidiaries, somehow getting
around the sanctions. It's no coincidence that Halliburton did this when Dick Cheney
headed
that Texas-based firm, as he is quite adept at getting around laws most of us have to
live
by, such as the 12th Amendment to the Constitution.

Ramsey Clark, the former U.S. Attorney General, reported to the UN Security Council in
1997 that the number of Iraqi children under age five who died increased from about
7,000
in 1989 to 57,000 in 1996. That number continued to rise to 78,000 dead in 1998,
according
to the Iraq Resource Information Site.

Clark reported touring hospitals with bloated babies not expected to live a day,
facilities
without clean water or air conditioning or enough basic supplies. While many people
blamed the harsh conditions on Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein for invading Kuwait and
ignoring the needs of many citizens, Clark called the situation "a human disaster
created by
the United Nations, a genocide intended to destroy a national, religious and ethnic
group."

Compare Iraq, with its 2,000 tanks and several hundred aircraft, to our country,
arguably
the most powerful, sophisticated military machine in known history. We spend about $396
billion a year on the military—and that number is expected to increase substantially
in the
coming years (at the height of the Cold War with the former Soviet Union, we spent
about
$300 billion). The closest country in military spending is Russia at $60 billion
annually,
according to the Center for Defense Information. Iraq spends a piddling $1.4 billion on
defense, less than Vietnam, Columbia, and Kuwait. Another country in that "axis of
evil"
Bush wants us to fear so much, North Korea, spends even less at $1.3 billion. Iran,
the third
"evil" country, is up there at $9.1 billion but still only ranks thirteenth in the
world in military
spending (see www.cdi.org/issues/wme/ spendersFY03.html for a list of what other
countries spend).

Why are we supposed to fear a country that we outspend almost 300 times more on
defense? Is it because much of what we spend actually goes to defend the security of
other
countries like Germany, or more accurately, the security of U.S.-owned multinational
corporations in those countries? Much of our defense dollars line already more than
wealthy
pockets in our country. In keeping with the wave of fraudulent accounting in private
corporations, the Pentagon cannot properly account for $1.2 trillion in past
transactions,
according to the U.S. Inspector General's office.

I'm all for combating terrorism—Clinton and Gore tried to get airport security beefed
up
several years ago, but the Republican-led Congress said no—but this "War on Terrorism"
is
simply an excuse and an opportunity for some fat cats to get fatter at the expense of
the
rest of us, just as the Cold War was in earlier decades. It is the biggest welfare
program
known to man, not to mention Bush's ticket to continue occupying an office he has no
business holding. We can spend $1 trillion a year on defense, and someone will still
figure
out how to plant a bomb somewhere. The British learned that in dealing with the Irish
Republican Army, which confounded them for decades.

Why is our publicly-financed military defending the rights of privately-owned
companies to
make more bucks? Because people like Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld want it to, that's
why. Our last elected president, Bill Clinton, tried to rein in military spending, and
the right
wing in this country did everything it could to attempt to drive him from office.

So now we plan to again bomb weak, ravaged Iraq and kill thousands more. That's despite
several U.S. military leaders and analysts wanting to continue the policy of
containment of
Hussein, rather than invade Iraq, according to a recent article in the Washington
Post. Jim
Cornette, a former Air Force biological warfare expert who participated in the Gulf
War,
told the Post, "We've bottled [Hussein] up for 11 years, so we're doing OK. I don't
know the
reason the administration is so focused on Iraq. I'm very puzzled by it."

A few in the administration, such as Secretary of State Colin Powell, have reservations
about a military attack. At the very least, most U.S. military leaders want to wait
until next
year to give them time to develop a plan.

But Bush and many in his regime are pushing them to invade by October, a month before
the mid-term elections, to boost Republicans' re-election campaigns in a wave of
renewed
patriotism, divert attention from domestic scandals, and finish what his father left
uncompleted. To Bush's drug-and-alcohol-warped mind, Hussein is an insult to his
father's
legacy, and Bush is selfish enough to see thousands die to help change how some
perceive
his family, not to mention the history books. Never mind about the moral implications
of one
country declaring its plans to overthrow another country's leader. That worked so well
with
Fidel Castro and Cuba, didn't it?

Bush says Iraq possesses weapons of mass destruction it plans to use on the U.S. and we
need to stop Iraq from doing so. Some who would know, like Scott Ritter, a former UN
weapons inspector in Iraq, say that Iraq has no such capabilities. Bush says Iraq had
ties to
the al-Qaeda terrorist network that carried out the Sept. 11 acts. Even some officials
with
the CIA and Israel's intelligence agency have said Iraq had nothing to do with Sept.
11,
although our CIA director has testified about Iraq's alleged links to al- Qaeda. Bush
says
Hussein could be responsible for sending anthrax spores through the mail. Others
believe
the likely source of anthrax terrorism is domestic.

Most allies in Europe oppose our invasion of Iraq, saying among other things, that it
would
make conditions in the fiery Middle East worse. They note the hypocrisy of Bush telling
Israel not to bomb Palestinian camps, as he prepares to unleash a more potent bombing
attack on Iraq. But Bush doesn't care about looking like a hypocrite; there is little
evidence
he even is aware that he looks like a hypocrite. I mean, he was trying to be a
champion of
corporate responsibility when he practiced the opposite in his own business dealings;
he
claims to be an environmentalist while raking over the environment; he tells kids not
drink, take drugs, and have sex before marriage, unlike what he actually did.

Again, the Iraqi war effort is proceeding full-speed because Republicans want to be re-
elected and Bush also wants to shift attention from these corporate scandals that are
tearing apart his regime. Wag the dog, that's a lot of what invading Iraq is about.

There is also the economic component. A more favorable leader in Iraq could give U.S.
oil
companies that are so close to Bush more leeway at moving into that lucrative Mideast
trade. The war will at least divert many Americans' attention from the recession that
threatens to escalate into a depression. A war in Iraq does come down to the
possession of
wealth, as Plato said, mainly keeping—and growing—wealth in the hands of those who now
have it in this country.

I do believe we have fought just wars. My father fought in one, World War II, when we
were attacked and the Nazi criminals threatened to dominate our world. If I was of age
during such a war as that, I would have gladly answered the call. It's sad that I now
have to
say we now seem more like the ones who want world domination than the ones who would
fight against the forces that want to rule the planet.

I understand why we're bombing Afghanistan—we had to bomb somebody after Sept. 11,
didn't we?—but I hate to see civilians killed and the fact that Osama bin Laden was
never
captured or his ties to Sept. 11 proven in court. Contrast that to our response after
the
1995 Oklahoma bombing, an act of terrorism that admittedly was different from Sept. 11.
Did we bomb the neighborhoods where Timothy McVeigh lived, hoping to draw him out or
get more of his conspirators? No, we treated it like the horrendous crime it was and
sought
justice through the courts.

Some call me un-American for opposing the way the Bush administration is fighting the
"War on Terrorism"—with its crackdowns on Americans' basic freedoms, development of a
more sophisticated domestic spying network, bombing campaigns that hit civilians,
secrecy,
military tribunals that suspend the Bill of Rights, ignoring the United Nations and
international treaties, cynical use of tragedy for unrelated political purposes, and
other
abuses. They tell me to "love it or leave it." I have to respond that I almost joined
the
Marines out of high school and would have gone if called upon back then. I was in the
"junior military"—the Boy Scouts—and earned the highest rank of Eagle Scout while doing
numerous community service projects. I did unpaid civilian service for two years on a
special project after college.

As an American, I have the right state my opinion that Bush-Cheney and most others in
the
right wing in this country (surprisingly some traditional right-wingers like U.S. Rep.
Dick
Armey have opposed certain aspects like the domestic spying program) are leading us
down into the gutter. I believe I have an obligation to stand up and state my true
beliefs
while I still have the chance, before our country slides further down the slippery
slope to a
dictatorship. What's the use of having freedom of speech if you live in a country where
everyone marches to the same drumbeat? You don't have a country, you have a
dictatorship if everyone worships those in power and refrains from criticizing that
regime.

I will stay here and stand up to the Bush-Cheney administration the way our
forefathers did
the British and patriotic Americans have done throughout our country's existence. I
will
battle for my children's future here. I will not run away to another country.

Jackson Thoreau is co-author of "We Will Not Get Over It: Restoring a Legitimate White
House." The 110,000-word electronic book can be downloaded at
http://www.geocities.com/jacksonthor or at http://
www.legitgov.org/we_will_not_get_over_it.html. Thoreau can be emailed at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Download a printable version.

For a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader, click here.

 The views expressed herein are the writers' own and do not necessarily reflect those
of
Online Journal.
 Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Copyright © 1998-2002 Online Journal™. All rights reserved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; no automatic endorsement
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway