-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alberto M. Giordano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

August 9, 2002

Call to Correspondents for Issue #23

UPCOMING: Journalist-of-the-Year for 2002; more attacks on Community Media
by Venezuela coup plotters; news flashes from Bolivia, Perú and Colombia;
and a February 2003 international gathering of drug-war opponents and
authentic journalists in Mérida, Yucatán (mark your calendars!)...

Dear Colleagues,

Issue #23 of The Narco News Bulletin will begin on Monday, and this is a
call to our correspondents throughout América for submissions.

On Monday, we will also announce our choice for the First Annual Narco News
Journalist-of-the-Year award.

And we will file a report documenting how the simulating "press freedom"
organization Reporters Without Borders in Paris has been caught in a new set
of knowingly false statements, as well as the facts about a new wave of
attacks against community media in Venezuela this week by rogue pro-coup
police forces under the command of coupster Mayor Alfredo Peña of Greater
Caracas. The Paris-based "Reporters" group, along with the NY-based
Committee to Protect Journalists and the Miami-based Inter-American Press
Association are directly responsible, through their complicit silence, on
this new wave of attacks against press freedom.

Meanwhile, our choice for Journalist-of-the-Year, to be announced on Monday,
may surprise some people.

In our view, the Authentic Journalist must accomplish three tasks:

First, he or she must report accurately, in great detail, on important
events and overlooked truths in society, no matter the personal risk to
bring the story to the public.

Second, he or she must communicate complex issues and connect with the
public in a manner that everyone - not just the over-educated classes - can
understand.

Third - because journalism, as a craft, is in a state of emergency and
suffers from widespread corporate and self-censorship of the most basic
truths - the Authentic Journalist of today must open the door for the larger
public, for Civil Society, to speak for itself. The Authentic Journalist of
today has to reject the caste status imposed on him and her by the media
industry, and works to spread his and her "free speech" rights to everyone.

Our winner has excelled in each of these catagories. Stay tuned on Monday
when we open the envelope.

Meanwhile, Authentic América marches on:

- In Bolivia, the new government has announced the withdrawl of troops from
the coca-growing Chapare region and citizens there are literally chasing
them out. The US-funded Expeditionary Forces (paramilitaries under the
command of a foreign power) are leaving the country.

- In Perú, coca-growers are organizing now, based on the success of the
Bolivian model, and making alliances with other social movements. And the
Peruvian government is wisely backing off of various US impositions
regarding the drug war and coca eradication.

- In Colombia, the narco-candidate Alvaro Uribe was sworn-in Wednesday as
the narco-president, and we urge readers to view commercial press reports
attributing the corresponding violence to rebel organizations skeptically.
Remember that these rebel groups take public credit for their actions, and
so far have not done so regarding the explosions that rocked the national
palace this week. Be on the lookout for Otto Reich-style provocations aimed
to justify deeper US military intervention in this country.

- Embattled US Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill's travels this week in
Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay were met with protests everywhere he went.
Behind the scenes, one of the US pressures on these countries with
struggling economies (the result of having followed neoliberal economic
models imposed by the US, the UN, the World Bank and International Monetary
Fund) regards assistant secretary of state Otto Reich's plot to organize a
"multi-national" army to enter Colombia's Civil War, but he needs at least a
few Latin American countries to symbolically join in as a mask for direct US
military intervention, and thus the presence of the US treasury secretary in
these nations.

- The attempt by Washington and Wall Street to internationalize the
Colombian conflict is just one of the reasons why Narco News, together with
other organizations, will be helping to organize and will participate in the
first-ever América-wide gathering of drug-war opponents, slated for February
2003 in Mérida, Yucatán, in México. Leaders of Civil Society and Authentic
Journalists from every country in América, and some European nations, will
be converging in Mérida to internationalize the opposition. Please put
February 2003 on your calendars, and stay tuned for more details on this
major event, as well as our announcement of the Narco News Authentic
Journalism internship-training program to be held also in February 2003 in
Mérida.

The commercial media and its simulating "press freedom" organizations have
ceased to do the job of informing the public and of protecting your and our
rights to do so. The time has come to construct an army of authentic
journalists to wrestle the microphone away from the corrupted commercial
press. As the correspondents of Narco News throughout the hemisphere and the
planet, you are cordially invited to participate. More details to come
during this Immedia Summer of 2002.

from somewhere in a country called América,

Al Giordano
Publisher
The Narco News Bulletin
http://www.narconews.com/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Friends don't let friends go uninformed! Subscribe for free alerts of new
reports:

Suscríbete gratis para alertas de reportajes nuevos en español: