-Caveat Lector-

>From http://reese.king-online.com/Reese_20020812/index.php

Absurd World

Arthur Miller, not my favorite playwright, is nevertheless opening a new play in
Minnesota,
"Resurrection Blues," which attempts to satirize the vicious and absurd state the
world has
gotten itself into recently.

And the world certainly has ventured into the absurd. Marxist guerrillas setting off
bombs to
protest the inauguration of Colombia's new president kill mostly the poor in Bogot
slums.
We, of course, kill 500,000 Iraqi children because they (presumably the children) won't
overthrow Saddam Hussein.

Saddam's neighbors say publicly and directly to the president that they oppose an
American
attack and do not feel threatened by Saddam, and how does the president reply? In the
most absurd fashion, like a dummy cut off from all outside communications, he says,
"Saddam is a threat to his neighbors," while 6 feet away one of those neighbors,
Jordan's
King Abdullah, had come specifically to urge Bush not to attack Iraq.

When I look at some of Bush's statements I find it impossible to imagine Franklin
Roosevelt,
Harry Truman or Dwight Eisenhower making them. I cannot imagine any of the three flatly
contradicting a guest in the presence of the guest on a matter of fact on which the
guest
obviously has the most direct knowledge. How does Mr. Bush know better than the king of
Jordan that Iraq is a threat to Jordan?

There is no end to absurdity. Mr. Bush's position is, in a screwball way, a compliment
Saddam Hussein. Deterrence worked against Josef Stalin, one of the greatest mass
murderers in human history, even though he was armed with a million times more
weapons of mass destruction than Iraq, but, in Mr. Bush's view, it will not work
against
Saddam.

Then, too, there is the absurdity of the United States simply deciding on its own that
the
government of a sovereign nation has to be changed by force. How would you feel if the
president of China announced that the United States was part of an axis of evil, was a
threat to its neighbors, had gassed its own people (Davidians at Waco) and therefore
China
was going to see to it that there is a change of regime in the United States?

The other day, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld simply stated, without any
evidence,
that members of al- Qaida are in Iraq. A few facts: The government of Iraq is secular
and
views Islamist fundamentalists such as al- Qaida as vermin; The New York Times has
reported that some outside fundamentalists, possibly al-Qaida, have moved into the
Kurdish
areas of Iraq. The Kurds, split among communists, nationalists and fundamentalists, are
"America's allies," with an 80-year-history of failed revolts — not a few of them
because
the United States cut and ran, as the CIA did most recently in northern Iraq.

I personally was glad to see that Saudi Arabia flatly said "no" to any American
military
action against Iraq based on Saudi soil. When we have a president who seems unable to
listen to advice, who seems almost inhuman in his ability to repeat obvious
falsehoods, then
we have to rely on other countries to force some restraint.

We have no reason whatsoever to go to war with Iraq. Iraq is not a threat to its
neighbors
or to us. No evidence whatsoever has been found linking Iraq to any terrorist act
against
the United States in the past decade. And who governs Iraq is none of our business.

I don't know what the real reason is for Mr. Bush's determination to go to war with
Iraq.
Probably it has to do with oil. Iraq has more oil reserves than any country on earth
except
Saudi Arabia. If it could get its oil production back to its prewar level, the world
price of oil
would certainly drop. It can't get its production back up, however, because we won't
allow
it to buy the equipment necessary.

In retrospect, I wish we had had a better choice in the last presidential race. Our
foreign
affairs should not resemble the theater of the absurd.

© 2002 by King Features Syndicate, Inc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway