-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=196575&contrassID=
2&subContrassID=5&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y&itemNo=196575

w w w . h a a r e t z d a i l y . c o m

U.S. Christian Zionists stage telethon in support of `My People'

Dozens of Christian television stations are slated to air a five-hour telethon this
week in
support of Israeli victims of terrorism, with half the money raised earmarked for a
fund
organized by the United Jewish Communities and its national network of charitable
federations.

Dubbed "Comfort My People," the telethon was the brainchild of Belarmino "Blackie"
Gonzalez, owner of the Santa Fe, NM-based Christian television station KCHF-TV11. It
will
be broadcast via satellite from the Pittsburgh studios of Cornerstone Television, a
Christian
media outlet associated with televangelist Ron Hembree.

Gonzalez, whose station reaches 85 percent of homes in New Mexico, came up with the
idea for the national telethon after he was asked by Andrew Lipman, executive director
of
the Jewish Federation of Greater Albuquerque, to help raise money for victims of
terrorism.

"About six or seven weeks ago I was praying," Gonzalez said, "and I said, `God, what
would you have us do for Israel? I know they need help more than ever before. I know
that
encouraging people to go isn't enough.' And so, a week later, I got a call from
Andrew."

Rather than simply air a local telethon, as he did several years ago to support the
Albuquerque federation's efforts to pay for Russian Jewish immigration to Israel,
Gonzalez
decided to approach fellow Christian broadcasters across the country. He insisted that
participating stations donate the air time and cover expenses, so that every cent
raised
would go to the designated causes. "Just about everybody I have called has answered
yes," said Gonzalez, a nondenominational Christian who was "born again" in 1968 and who
has been observing the Jewish Sabbath for the past two years.

According to Gonzalez and other telethon organizers, half of the haul is going to the
Albuquerque federation, which will then transfer its entire share to the UJC's Israel
Emergency Fund. The other half of the money will be used to produce daily news segments
on Israel for Christian television stations.

"We feel there is a tremendous bias in the news coming out of Israel," said Oleen
Eagle,
president of Cornerstone Television. "What we would like to do is to tell it like it
is."
Although local federations and regional chapters of Jewish organizations have been
shedding their unease about working with evangelical Christians on behalf of Israel,
the
telethon appears to be the first time that a federation has tapped into the national
infrastructure of Christian media.

With other recent attempts to mobilize , the program raises the possibility of two
unorthodox developments. One, albeit distant, possibility is that the evangelical
community
will create a mammoth pro-Israel juggernaut that will dwarf existing Jewish
organizations.
Another, more likely, possibility is that the telethon might be a harbinger of
ground-breaking
efforts to integrate conservative Christians activists and dollars into the federation
system
or other existing Jewish organizations, such as the American Israel Public Affairs
Committee.

For now, according to Lipman, the Albuquerque federation plans to limit its
fund-raising
activities with conservative Christians to projects directly benefiting Israel and
Israelis. "All
we are doing is capitalizing on what we already saw was the desire of Christians to
contribute to and support Israel," said Lipman, who will be appearing on the telethon.
"Our
feeling was, `Why not let them contribute through us?'" A source familiar with the
planning
of the August 13 broadcast said it was possible that the telethon could end up raising
more
than $1 million in five hours. Since the UJC emergency fund was officially unveiled in
April,
federations have sent in almost $60 million and pledged another $250 million.

Lipman said he received the blessing of UJC officials. According to Lipman, however,
the
national organization has decided not to send an official to appear on air. Rabbi
Yechiel
Eckstein, founder of the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews, a group that
raises
money from evangelicals for Israel, stopped funneling his organization's funds through
UJC.
Eckstein said his decision was fueled by UJC's unwillingness to publicize the
contributions of
evangelicals. But Lipman said his sense was that UJC's reasons for not getting
involved in
the telethon had to do with a shortage of manpower.

"UJC made a policy decision as a corporation not to get involved with these Christian
fund-
raising efforts around the country," Lipman said. Instead, he added, UJC officials
concluded
it was best to leave such efforts to local federations. "It would take too much staff
time," he
said. "It's easier for them to say, `Go ahead, you have our blessing, we'll help you
if you
need help.'" In response to an interview request, UJC spokesman Glenn Rosenkrantz
issued
the following statement: "UJC is very grateful to evangelicals and other Christians
for their
support of the Israeli people during this critical and challenging time, and we
welcome their
efforts to increase their support through a telethon. We support the Albuquerque
federation's efforts to make this effort a success."

In addition to working with Gonzalez's operation, which includes a radio station, the
Albuquerque federation has also teamed up with a group of local Christians to raise
money
for Israel-related causes. So far, Lipman said, his organization has not attempted to
raise
money from Christians for the federation's annual campaign benefiting local, national
and
international Jewish causes.

Such a step, Lipman said, would pose tricky questions for the federation system,
including
concerns that the Jewish community should be taking care of its own needs. "That's an
area we are moving slowly on," Lipman said. "I don't know how they would feel donating
the general fund. Long term we will have to see how that develops. I would give a lot
of
thought to it."

By arrangement with the Forward
By Ami Eden

/hasen/objects/pages/PrintArticleEn.jhtml?itemNo=196575

close window
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway