-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.aim.org/publications/media_monitor/2002/08/15.html

Receive FREE updates by email:

Attacking the War on Terrorism
By Reed Irvine and Cliff Kincaid
August 15, 2002

The New York Times has launched a campaign to undermine the U.S. war on terrorism.
The Times headline on July 27th declared, "In Rare Move, U.N. Reviews a U.S. Attack on
Afghans." This was a preview of what the International Criminal Court intends to do.
In this
case, the U.N. issued a "preliminary" report about the accidental bombing of
civilians. The
report was requested by the U.N. special representative in Afghanistan, Lakhdar
Brahimi,
who has no authority or mandate to evaluate U.S. military operations. The U.N. report
accuses the U.S. of a cover- up.

A July 21st front page New York Times story set the stage. It carried the headline,
"Flaws in
U.S. Air War Left Hundreds of Civilians Dead." One of the sources was a left-wing
activist
group that favored Cuban Communist intervention in Africa. The Times said the deaths
stemmed from poor intelligence and a reluctance to commit more ground troops to the
war. But Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld responded that the American bombing
campaign in Afghanistan may be the most accurate ever undertaken, resulting in fewer
deaths of innocent civilians than any air war in history. But a July 29th New York
Times
article continued the drumbeat. It was headlined: "U.S. Denies Cover Up in Afghan
Village
Bombing."

The charges are reminiscent of when Senator Joseph Biden called for a stop in bombing
in
Afghanistan after only two weeks and two days. He suggested that it was better for
American soldiers to go cave to cave, "mano to mano," or man to man. Biden, chairman of
the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said that unless the bombing of Afghanistan
ends
"sooner rather than later," America risked looking like a "high-tech bully." "Every
moment it
goes on, it makes the aftermath problems more severe," he said. Biden said images of
civilian casualties from the bombing made it harder to convince Muslims around the
world
that Americans are fighting terrorists, not Afghans.

Biden laid the groundwork for those critics making charges of war crimes against U.S.
troops. Biden, who himself avoided military service, said the American people were
ready
for a massive commitment of ground forces in Afghanistan. "I think the American public
is
prepared for a long siege," he said. "I think the American public is prepared for
American
losses."

Ray Clatworthy, who is opposing Biden in the Senate race in Delaware, responded, "In my
four years at the U.S. Naval Academy and my five years flying jets in the United States
Marine Corps, we were never advised to lay aside strategic advantage to appease world
opinion. Our soldiers are just too important. I will never sacrifice one American life
for
‘world opinion.’ As the father of a son who wears our country’s uniform, I find Joe
Biden’s
lapse in judgment offensive. Does anyone in this room think Joe Biden would have
suggested this strategy if it were his boys going cave to cave?"

Today, Joe Biden is presiding over hearings about a war with Iraq. He is a strong
supporter
of an invasion that could require a quarter of a million U.S. troops. Some say 30,000
American soldiers could die.

Reed Irvine can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

| Like What You Read? | Back To Media Monitors Section | AIM Main Page |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway