-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.guardian.co.uk/gmdebate/Story/0,2763,774794,00.html

Scientists shocked at GM gene transfer

Paul Brown, environment correspondent
Thursday August 15, 2002
The Guardian

Weeds have become stronger and fitter by cross-breeding with genetically modified
crops,
leading to fears that superweeds which are difficult or impossible to control may
invade
farms growing standard crops.

Two separate teams, one working on sunflowers in the US and the other on sugar beet in
France, have shown weeds and GM food crops readily swapping genes.

In the case of wild sunflowers, classed as "weed" varieties in America, specimens
became
hardier and produced 50% more seeds if they were crossed with GM sunflowers which had
been programmed to be resistant to seed-nibbling moth lavae.

Allison Snow, who headed the team at Ohio State University, confessed in New Scientist
that she was "shocked" by the results. "It does not prove all GM crops are dangerous,"
she
said. "I just think we need to be careful because genes can be very valuable for a
weed and
persist for ever once they are out there."

Pioneer Hi-Bred, which developed the GM sunflower, has abandoned the idea of selling
the
strain commercially.

The sugar beet results show that wild and GM varieties swapped genes, sometimes to the
advantage of the wild varieties and the detriment of the GM plants, which produced
lower
yields. Writing in the Journal of Applied Ecology, the University of Lille team said
they had
underestimated the likelihood of GM beets swapping genes with the beet weeds that grow
among them.

The two sets of results add to the fears of environmental groups and organic farmers
that
normal crops could be contaminated by GM varieties - and make weeds impossible to
control. This is less of a problem in countries where crops have been introduced, for
instance soya grown the US, because no native weed varieties exist. But in Europe,
particularly in Britain, where weed species of both beet and oil seed rape exist, the
risk is
potentially serious.

Adrian Bebb, GM campaigner at the environmental group Friends of the Earth, said GM
beet
was now being grown at 16 farm-scale trial sites in England. "Once again scientists are
discovering new impacts of GM crops," he said. "The government always emphasises the
importance of a sound scientific approach to GM crop safety, so they should look at
this
research seriously and question whether or not we should be testing GM crops out of
doors."

Two years ago government research reported that GM crops could cross-pollinate with
ordinary crops over larger distances than had been thought. The government is in its
final
year of trials to investigate the effect of growing GM crops on the countryside.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2002
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway