-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/11596p-10949c.html

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Static for radio show
By KERRY BURKE and DON SINGLETON
DAILY NEWS WRITERS
Saturday, August 17th, 2002

A couple's sleazy tryst inside St. Patrick's Cathedral prompted outrage yesterday among
prominent Catholics - and silenced the radio shock jocks who aired the event.

The couple, Brian Florence, 37, and Loretta Harper, 35, both of Virginia, were arrested
Thursday after taking part in a WNEW-FM contest aired on "The Opie and Anthony Show"
to see who would have sex in the riskiest place.

They - and the radio station - clearly got more than they bargained for. The Catholic
League for Religious and Civil Rights wants WNEW's license revoked, filing a formal
letter of
complaint with the Federal Communications Commission.

Gregg (Opie) Hughes and Anthony Cumia would not return calls for comment. Nor would
they say much on their program.

Can't talk about it

As their show began at 3 p.m. yesterday, one of the hosts said he had been forbidden by
"the lawyers" to discuss "our little event yesterday."

"We're here to do a radio show and we can't talk about the biggest thing to do with
this
radio show," he complained.

But during Thursday's broadcast, Opie and Anthony said plenty. As comedian Paul
Mercurio
phoned in reports of the couple's tryst, the shock jocks awarded the couple
"Twenty-seven
points. ... Twenty-seven points and eternal damnation!"

After the couple was led away in handcuffs, Anthony said from the studio, "Oh, boy.
Well,
that's the first time one of our teams have ever been arrested."

Station apologizes

Radio officials were more contrite yesterday.

"WNEW regrets the unfortunate incident that took place yesterday," General Manager Ken
Stevens said in a statement. "We apologize to anyone who has been offended and have
taken measures to ensure that it does not happen again."

A station spokesman refused to describe those measures, and Stevens did not respond to
repeated requests for an interview.

Catholic League President William Donohue said he wasn't impressed by Stevens' words.

"This makes it worse," Donohue said. "This is so insulting it is incredible.
Unfortunate
incident? Broadcasting a live sex act in a cathedral packed with worshipers on the
Feast of
the Assumption? I daresay I have friends of mine who are atheists, and even they are
offended."

Florence and Harper were arraigned before Judge Neil Ross in Midtown Community Court
on charges of public lewdness, third-degree obscenity and exposure. They were released
on $500 bail each and are to return for a hearing on Wednesday.

Outside the community court, Florence, a 6-foot-tall man with close-cropped blond hair,
smoked one cigarette after another, his white T-shirt revealing a paunchy midsection.
"I
feel terrible," he said. Harper, a strawberry blonde in a pink ruffled blouse and blue
shorts,
pressed her hands together as in prayer and simply said, "Please."

Pleading ignorance

Their lawyer, Miranda Fritz, said the couple was fully clothed and not having sex.
"They had
no idea what St. Patrick's is or what it means to us native New Yorkers," she said.

Donohue said the league was sending a letter to Charles Kelley, chief of the
Enforcement
Bureau of the FCC's Investigations and Hearings Division, asking that WNEW's owner,
Infinity Broadcasting, be fined and that the station's license be revoked.

At St. Pat's, passersby expressed outrage at the sex act.

"I don't know, there's a time and a place for sex, and this definitely isn't the
place," said
Peter Russell, 32, a practicing Catholic from Putnam County. "Jail is probably too
good for
them."

With Julia Cosgrove
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway