-Caveat Lector-

Conservatism is Pretend Salt!

By Flip Benham Updated June 10, 2002

As Christians we are called to be salt and light in a world that is rotting on the
inside from the consequences of sin, and attacked on the outside by an enemy (the
devil) who has come to rob, kill, and destroy. The world, in all of its wisdom, is in
utterly helpless and without hope in this battle - no answers, no solutions, no way!
One need only listen to the talking heads and politicians of our day to realize they
are clueless. The catastrophic events in the Mid-East, "9-11", bloodshed coursing down
the corridors of our streets, workplaces, and schools - oh, what to do! Violence is
filling our land!

It is into this hopeless, decaying world that the Church of Jesus Christ is called to
bring salt and light. We do battle with the sin that destroys from within and the
enemy who destroys from without. We are called to take captive our thoughts and make
them obedient unto Christ (2 Cor. 10:5). Then we are called to crush the head of the
enemy robbing, killing, and destroying (Gen. 3:15, Rom. 16:20).

The Church of Jesus Christ is the only institution ordained by God to fight this
battle against the sin raging from within, and the devil raging from without. It is
the only true salt and our only hope for victory. Unfortunately, the salt has
abdicated its responsibility to be salt in the earth and light in the world. It has
become good for nothing except to be, trampled under the feet of men (Matt. 5:13).

Not only are we being trampled under the feet of sworn enemies of our Lord who support
abortion, homosexuality, euthanasia, ad nauseum, we are also being trampled under the
feet of another so-called friend - CONSERVATISM!

As our nation attempts to defeat the spirit of murder presently savaging our land, the
Church of Jesus Christ has delegated the job to one who cannot win the battle. Enter
modern day conservatism!

Conservatism looks like salt, talks like salt, acts like salt, seeks the vote and
friendship of salt, yet, when the test of taste comes, it is revealed for what it
really is - a tasteless enabler of perdition! That's right! Conservatism enables true
salt to remain in the shaker while it attempts pragmatic deal making with an enemy
bent on destroying God's children.

Conservatism will work hard on bills like partial birth abortion, parental
notification, etc., but will never stand firm for all children whether they are six
months old in the womb or two seconds old. Conservatism is a pathetic substitute for
the vibrant salt of real Christianity. Conservatism poses no threat to the enemy from
within (sin) or the enemy from without (the devil).

Rush Limbaugh, the penultimate conservative, has no problem supporting conservatives
like Republican Kay Bailey Hutchison, even though he knows her to be pro-abortion,
because she is a fiscal conservative. Rush believes that conservatism is the answer to
America's woes. Rush will sacrifice Christian principle to elect conservatives

"Right to Life" organizations in the state of Texas worked hard a couple of years ago
getting the "parental notification" bill passed and signed into law by then Governor
George W. Bush. It was hailed as a great victory for the pro-life movement. Florence
Shapiro, however, the state senator who authored the bill, was Republican,
conservative, and pro-abortion! Yet she is now considered a friend to the pro-life
community. Conservatism thrives in this muddying of the waters.

Conservatism will confront the enemy with the evil he promotes but, on the day of
battle, will always retreat. Conservatism always tries to reason and compromise with
the enemy seeking some "common ground" or "reaching across the aisle." Conservatism is
politics' answer to Christianity. Its modus operandi is pragmatism. Principle is
abandoned and obtaining and maintaining political office is its summum bonum. In order
to become more appealing these days it calls itself "Compassionate Conservatism."

If you have been watching our President and his administration lately you will note
the waffling, pandering, compromising, ad nauseam of Christian principles to the god
of conservatism. If conservatism is the hired gun of the Church to take on her
political enemies, it is a pitiful squirt gun. How the devil must laugh! Just watch
him laugh through Yasser Arafat, Ted Kennedy, the abortion industry, the radical
homosexual agenda, Tom Daschel. They serve their "god" with absolute allegiance. They
know that they can count on conservatism to sell her "god' for thirty pieces of silver
and political office.

The result of the Church of Jesus Christ allowing conservatism to fight the battle
savaging our nation is that we are losing, but at a slower pace. Conservatism's goal
is to lose as slowly as possible while maintaining office. If Al Gore will take us off
a cliff at 90 mph, George W. Bush will take us off the same cliff at 45 mph. The sorry
fact of the matter is, however, that we are all going off the cliff.

Conservatism is pretend salt, for it has never found a cause for which it is willing
to die. It will never fight to the death the mortal enemy of God's children. Death for
conservatism wipes away any hope of continuance. Life or political office must be
preserved at all costs. Our Lord said, "He who seeks to save his life will lose it…"
therefore, conservatism will always lose in the Gospel battle we are called to fight.

This is not so with Christianity - true salt! Christians will unapologetically fight
the battle against our enemies from within and without in the Name of Jesus Christ. We
hold no office so dear that the principles of our Lord would be ever be compromised or
sacrificed. If we die in this battle we know that the victory is ours, for our Lord
fought to the death and He now lives. He dealt the enemy a deathblow and made a public
spectacle of him.

True salt will live up to the character of her Lord and be unashamed of the Name of
Jesus and His Words in this wicked and sinful generation. It will stand firmly upon
God's Word and let the chips fall where they may. The gates of hell cannot prevail
against the Church of Jesus Christ. They shall, however, forever prevail against
conservatism.

Conservatism is a pitiful and exquisitely deceitful substitute for Christianity. It is
pretend salt!

Flip Benham Director, Operations Save America; Operation Rescue National
-end article-
-iNFoWaRZ
It's not about left or right, it is about Tyranny or Freedom.
Democrats and Republicans, two sides of the same Big Government coin.

“The citizen who sees his society’s democratic clothes being worn out and does not cry
it out, is not a patriot, but a traitor.”
-Mark Twain