-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.antiwar.com/orig/avnery1.html

War Now!
by Uri Avnery
September 9, 2002

Slowly, President Bush's war plan against Iraq is emerging from the thick fog. At
first it
looked like a collection of hazy slogans, but gradually it is becoming clear that it
has definite
– if hidden – aims.

The plan is unconnected to the famous "war on terrorism", to the personality of Saddam
Hussein or to the weapons of mass destruction that Iraq is producing, like all the
other
states in the region, from Pakistan to Israel and Egypt.
Critics of the war plans (including myself) have pointed to the disastrous political
results
that must be expected: Iraq would break into three parts (Kurds in the north, Sunnis
in the
center, Shi'ites in the south), the Middle East would be exposed to the onslaught of
Iranian
fanaticism, pro-Western Arab regimes would collapse. Israel would be surrounded by
aggressive Islamic fundamentalism, like the Crusader kingdom with the advent of
Saladin.

This evaluation is based on an assumption that has been true for some time: the United
States is not ready to keep large numbers of troops in far-away countries. This would
mean
that after the conquest of Iraq the troops would return home, leaving Iraq to its
fate. But it
is quite possible that this assumption is not valid anymore.

The war plan of the Bushies makes sense only if the US leadership is ready – more than
that, is actually longing for – the occupation of Iraq in order to remain there for
many-many
years.

Such an occupation will necessitate a big investment of troops and resources. It will
commit
large military forces for a long time. That is why the plan is opposed by the American
generals (including the Secretary of State, General Colin Powell). But in the eyes of
Bush
and his advisers, this is a very worthwhile investment that would yield immense
benefits.
Among others:

* The main objective of the American economy (and therefore of American policy) is the
oil
of the Caspian Sea. The exploitation of this gigantic reservoir, the biggest in the
world, has
not yet started. Its control will ensure that America has cheap fuel for decades to
come.
Bush, a typical oil man who despises alternative "environment friendly" sources of
energy,
considers this a major aim.

* On its way to the market, the oil must reach the open sea. There are several possible
routes – via Afghanistan and Pakistan or Turkey. Iraq is close to all of them, and
American
air and ground forces stationed there will guarantee American domination over the
entire
region.

* The existence of a secure American base in the heart of the Arab world will also
enable
Washington to bully all the Arab regimes, lest they stray from the straight and
narrow. The
pressure on Saudi Arabia will be immense. Not only will the American bases in Saudi
Arabia become redundant, but by manipulating the oil prices America could bring the
kingdom to the brink of bankruptcy.

* The new situation would finally break OPEC. Washington will decide the price of oil
and
how it is distributed.

* The new situation will destroy the last remnants of Arab independence. Even today,
almost all the Arab countries are dependent on America. A massive American physical
presence in their midst will put an end to any pretense of Arab power and unity.

* Neighboring Iran, too, will lose its appetite for opposing the American Big Satan.
Iran will
be threatened on both sides by the American bases in Afghanistan and Iraq.

* Total American control over all the oil resources, from Kazakhstan in the north to
Saudi
Arabia in the south, will put an end to any European hopes of competing with the
economic
and political might of the United States. He who controls the oil controls the economy.
Increased oil prices might throw millions of workers into the streets of Europe and
East
Asia.

How will the occupation function? When Americans think of occupation, they rely on
their
experience in Japan. There, after the capitulation, an American general, Douglas
McArthur,
reigned without limits. The Japanese obeyed dutifully, because they were instructed to
do
so by their revered emperor, the Mikado.

Now some people in Washington dream of installing an Iraqi Mikado, somebody from the
Hashemite dynasty that ruled Iraq until 1958, when the last king was murdered. Why not
put another family member on the throne, some relative of the king of Jordan – or,
come to
think of it, why not unite Iraq and Jordan under one crown?

A grandiose, world-embracing, yet simple and logical design. What does it remind me of?
Indeed, the style sounds vaguely familiar. In the early 80's, I heard about several
plans like
this from Ariel Sharon (which I published at the time). His head was full of grand
designs
for restructuring the Middle East, the creation of an Israeli "security zone" from
Pakistan to
Central Africa, the overthrow of regimes and installing others in their stead, moving a
whole people (the Palestinians) and so forth.

I can't help it, but the winds blowing now in Washington remind me of Sharon. I have
absolutely no proof that the Bushies got their ideas from him, even if all of them
seem to
have been mesmerized by him. But the style is the same – a mixture of megalomania,
creativity, arrogance, ignorance and superficiality. An explosive mixture.

Sharon's grand design floundered, as we know. The bold flights of imagination and the
superficial logic did not help – Sharon simply did not understand the real currents of
history.
I fear that the band of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield, Rice, Wolfowitz, Pearl and all the
other
little Sharons are suffering from the same syndrome.

Iraq is not Japan, and the Iraqis will not obey a Mikado brought in by the Americans
as they
now obey a local nationalist dictator. Islamic fundamentalism is not an animal that
can be
tamed easily. Hundreds of millions of enraged human beings all over the Arab and Muslim
world are a great danger, even for a mighty military power.

Sharon may believe that he will be the big winner of such an American move, though
history may show that he brought a historical disaster on us. He may succeed in
exploiting
the ensuing anarchy in order to drive the Palestinians out of the country. But within
a few
years Israel could find itself surrounded by a new Middle East – and not the one Shimon
Peres is driveling on about. A region full of hatred, dreaming of revenge, driven by
religious
and nationalist fanaticism. And in the end, the Americans will go home. We will be
left here
alone.

But people like Bush and Sharon do not march to the beat of history. They are
listening to a
different drummer.

Find this article at:
http://www.antiwar.com/orig/avnery1.html

 SAVE THIS | EMAIL THIS | Close

 Check the box to include the list of links referenced in the article.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway