-Caveat Lector-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,784452,00.html

Father insists alleged leader is still alive

Kate Connolly in Berlin
Monday September 2, 2002
The Guardian

The father of Mohammed Atta, the alleged ringleader of the September 11
attacks, said in an interview published yesterday that his son was still
alive.

"He is hiding in a secret place so as not to be murdered by the US secret
services," Mohammed el-Amir Atta, 66, told the German newspaper Bild am
Sonntag. He also vehemently denied that his son - believed to have flown the
first plane into the World Trade Centre - had taken part in the atrocities,
blaming them instead on "American Christians".

The interview painted a picture of a tortured man who has not come to terms
with his 33-year-old son's death or with the huge crime laid at his door. He
said he feared the US would try to poison him.

Speaking from his Cairo home, Mr Atta described hearing about the attacks
after returning from a holiday on the Red Sea on the evening of September
12. "My daughter called and said she was going to drop in. She stood at the
door and said 'turn on the TV'," he said. Amid images of the jets crashing
into the Twin Towers, he saw his son's passport photograph.

"As I saw the picture of my son," he said, "I knew that he hadn't done it.
My son called me the day after the attacks on September 12 at around midday.
We spoke for two minutes about this and that.

"He didn't tell me where he was calling from. At that time neither of us
knew anything about the attacks."

Mr Atta said he did not condone the attacks, but could understand the
hijackers' motivation. "Every day our Palestinian brothers are being
murdered, their houses destroyed. If their relatives were to fly a plane
into the Empire State Building I couldn't hold it against them," he added.

Mr Atta called his son a "gentle and tender boy", who enjoyed reading
history and geography books and was nicknamed "Bolbol", or nightingale, by
his parents.

Special reports
Attack on America
Afghanistan