-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/international.cfm?id=1060272002

Tue 24 Sep 2002

Blow to campaign for war on Saddam

Jason Beattie Chief Political Correspondent

A SENIOR Iraqi defector has challenged Anglo-American policy towards Saddam

Hussein, warning military action is not the best route to "regime change".

General Nizar al-Khazraji, a former Iraqi chief of staff, said that President Saddam
was
more likely to be toppled by a western-backed popular uprising with "moral and
diplomatic
support" than through military intervention. An occupation by foreign forces could
backfire
by dampening the Iraqi people’s desire to take on President Saddam, he said.

"As an Iraqi and a man who believes in the armed forces, I think the Iraqis must do
it, not
others," he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. "If the Iraqi people and the armed
forces
believe that things will change after the fall of Saddam Hussein, they are going to do
it.

"The moral and diplomatic help is more effective than the military help, I am sure,"
he said.

The intervention by Gen Khazraji, who defected in 1996, will be a blow for the United
States
and Britain as they seek support for a fresh resolution from the United Nations
against Iraq.

Fellow Security Council members, Russia, France and China, are sceptical of the need
for a
new resolution and wary about the hawkish stance adopted by London and Washington.

Gen Khazraji, touted as a potential interim leader if President Saddam falls, also
criticised
maintaining sanctions against Iraq. "If the armed forces and the people inside Iraq
believe
that the West will help Iraqis in lifting the sanctions, promising too to help the
Iraqis in the
future, to keep the country unified, that will encourage us to overthrow the regime.
"The
most important thing is that the Iraqis must be sure that a democratic regime will be
there
after the overthrow of Saddam Hussein and that Iraq will be an independent country," he
said.

General Khazraji, who is now living in exile in Denmark, offered his own services to
lead
any Iraqi rebellion against President Saddam, but appeared to rule out a political
role for
himself. He insisted that he had no interest in heading a new government, saying that
President Saddam should be replaced by a civilian regime. "I am military man, I prefer
stay on this side," he said.

Asked if an occupation of Iraq by US troops would be dangerous, he replied: "It will
be a
very dark future for all."

Speaking at his home, the general said that he had warned the Iraqi leader to no effect
during the Gulf war that he stood to lose not only Kuwait, but Iraq itself. "This guy
has to be
gone. All real Iraqis want to overthrow this regime and I am one of them," he said.

His comments contradicted previous remarks when he said it was a "sacred duty" to
replace President Saddam. However, his new found reticence may stem from allegations
that he was involved in the use of chemical weapons against the Kurds in 1988. His
failure
to attend a recent gathering of opposition groups in London was allegedly a result of
his
fear of being arraigned for war crimes.

The general defected in 1995 and is now living under police protection in Denmark. He
has
denied any involvement in the use of chemical weapons, claiming that he is the victim
of a
smear campaign by the Iraqi intelligence services.

Iraqis living in Denmark are pressing the authorities to deny Gen Khazraji the right to
asylum on grounds of his crimes.

This article:

  http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/international.cfm?id=1060272002

More War with Iraq?:

  http://www.news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=518

Websites:

  Iraq Dossier (PDF)
  http://www.ukonline.gov.uk/featurenews/iraqdossier.pdf

  FCO - Policy towards Iraq
  http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/
ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029394374

  FCO site - Britain, UNSCOM & Iraq
  http://special.fco.gov.uk/

  UN - Office of the Iraq Programme
  http://www.un.org/Depts/oip/

  US Dept of State - Iraq Update
  http://usinfo.state.gov/regional/nea/iraq/

  Iraqi Presidency
  http://www.uruklink.net/iraq/

  Iraq Watch
  http://www.iraqwatch.org

  John Pilger on Iraq
  http://pilger.carlton.com/iraq
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway