-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.guerrillanews.com/wildcard/vreeland_three
Click Here: <A HREF="http://www.guerrillanews.com/wildcard/vreeland_three";>
GuerrillaNews Special Report: Wildcard</A>
-----

Part Three: The World's Best Con Man

It's Saturday morning in "cottage country," at a lodge north of Toronto. The
lake is as big as the sky and opens up right under my window. I go down to
Vreeland's room, and we talk about his criminal past.

"If you're the world's best con man you're not going to work for yourself,
are you?,” he says. “That would be stupid. Who would you want to work for?
Someone who can protect you."

"I needed to have a criminal record.…It's easy to make someone your friend. I
can become friends with suits, punkers, rastas, anyone."
Vreeland repeatedly claims, "I've never been legally convicted of anything."
The vocal emphasis is on "legally" by which Vreeland seems to mean
"legitimately." How then does he explain his long list of outstanding
warrants and convictions? "Well, I've seen other lists, with even more,
hundreds of them, and then I've also seen them disappear. Remember, the
FBI/NSIC fingerprints came back negative." It's true that when he was
arrested in Canada, according to the arresting officer's notes, the FBI said
they had no fingerprints on Vreeland. And although he is accused of credit
card fraud in Michigan, Vreeland's credit card report states that he never
had a credit card.

Vreeland says his alleged crimes were just part of his cover, "I played the
criminal. Like taking down [a] drug dealer…we needed information, I would get
arrested and put in the same cell as him. I needed to have a criminal
record.…It's easy to make someone your friend. I can become friends with
suits, punkers, rastas, anyone."

The Nation's Corn called Vreeland's note "a hard-to-decipher collection of
phrases and names" that "holds no specific information related to the 9/11
assaults. There is no date mentioned, no obvious reference to a set of
perpetrators."

That's a distortion worthy of the CIA that Corn has written about (see Corn’s
book “The Blond Ghost: Ted Shackley and the Cia's Crusades," Simon and
Schuster, 1994). The name "bin Laden" appears at the top of the central
paragraph of this note. It mentions a list of targets: "White House…World
Trade Center…Pentagon…let one happen, stop the rest…prob. they will call me
crazy."

"Yes, it is true." A minute later, she changed her answer to, "No, the
prosecution now thinks he got the notes to the jailers after 9/11."
According to Greta Knutzen, reporting from Toronto for FromTheWilderness.com,
"Vreeland requested that his guards seal the notes and register them in his
personal effects, which they did." As of her report several months ago, "The
fact that the notes were written and sealed a month prior to the violent
attacks of Sept. 11 has not been disputed." However, a phone call to the
Canadian prosecution team resulted in new, somewhat murky results. When I
asked Assistant D.A. Dorette Hugins to confirm that the prosecution didn't
dispute that the notes was were handed to the jailers in mid-August 2001, she
immediately said, that "Yes, it is true." A minute later, she changed her
answer to, "No, the prosecution now thinks he got the notes to the jailers
after 9/11." Perhaps a forensics test will finally decide this question.
Vreeland claims to have written the notes with a kind of blue pen that is
technically illegal in Canadian jail. These pens had been handed to him by
his attorneys, but confiscated as "contraband" in late August. An analysis of
the pen ink of the notes could eventually help determine if they were in fact
written in August, 2001.

In court, D.A. Hugins and lead prosecutor Kevin Wilson argued that not only
were the notes bogus, but that Vreeland was no spy. On January 10, Vreeland
defense attorney Slansky pulled a dramatic courtroom stunt. He called a
Pentagon operator from a speakerphone in open court, and asked if there as a
listing for a “Delmart Vreeland.” He was given an office number and phone
extension. The prosecution countered that Vreeland is a computer expert who
likely discovered a way to hack into the Pentagon's network from jail, or had
simply called the Pentagon from a jail phone and conned a military
switchboard operation into assigning him an office and phone extension,
though they offered no proof to support their argument. Discussing this that
morning at the lodge, Vreeland was incredulous: "You can track an IP [
Internet Protocol number] in a heartbeat. Why haven't I been prosecuted for
this? That's so stupid."

Vreeland and I are sitting out on the balcony of his hotel room in the crisp
Canadian sunshine. The trip is showing me a side of Vreeland that I hadn't
seen. He has a 17-year old son of whom he is very protective. For this
article, I promise to change his name. Call him "Joey."

Joey is a punk skater with touches of raver. His favorite color is
fluorescent orange. He wears black nylon bellbottoms with millions of
pockets. He chain smokes, and talks incessantly about being drunk and how
Dad’s connections are going to get him into Harvard Law School. Vreeland and
Joey are endlessly bickering and scrapping, and then bumming Players Navy Cut
cigarettes off each other with affection. Just as often as smoking them, Joey
will throw the cigarettes at his father in exasperation. Vreeland claims to
never have hit Joey, but he does often grab him, and is extremely physical
with him, a strange, uncertain mix of roughhousing and desperate attempts at
disciplining an uncontrollable kid.

In the midst of an unsuccessful attempt to get Joey to respect his authority,
Vreeland comments, "I don't know which is worse, getting shot at or being a
Dad."

He tries to convince my editor to send $500 so that he can go to Radio Shack,
buy parts and build us a scale model of a missile defense weapon he says he
developed for the Navy's Nuclear Training Command.
Vreeland's code name is "Wildcard." Vreeland would like people to think that
he can transform into anything and become as powerful as he wills, like the
card in an amateur poker game. The nickname is apt for another reason.
Vreeland's speech patterns are untamed, and he seems to be in a constant
state of chemical imbalance. He drinks like there's a fire in his brain. He
claims to have been given Clonapin (an antidepressant) for fifteen years by
the Navy. He jumps from topic to topic like he's on a mix of acid and speed.
In the hotel room, on the phone to New York, he tries to convince my editor
to send $500 so that he can go to Radio Shack, buy parts and build us a scale
model of a missile defense weapon he says he developed for the Navy's Nuclear
Training Command. He hands me the phone. The first words out of my editor
are, "Dude, what the fuck is he talking about?"

The next day at the lodge, Joey is still trying to get his dad's attention by
trashing hotel property. He has to be rescued by a nautical patrol while
kayaking with his pal, Jacob. Then, they rent bikes, and ride them around
inside the hotel. Vreeland yells at them. Joey drinks a beer in the hotel bar
with the ID his dad got him so he could jet-ski. Vreeland announces we will
all be leaving that night, our trip cut short by a day.

Jane Woodbury, Vreeland's mother, testified during the trial that she
remembers Delmart repeatedly warning her not to fly, especially to New York,
throughout August, 2001. Immediately after the September 11 attacks, she
claims she was visited by a U.S. Secret Service agent named Mitchell
Szydlowski, who asked, "Do you believe Delmart is psychic? Did he ever
predict 9/11 to you?" Jane Woodbury said no to both questions. In Canadian
Court, the Secret Service confirmed that the visit took place. Jane
Woodbury's current husband, Tony Matar, remembers her stating in the fall
2001, that her son had predicted the attack. Multiple phone calls to Secret
Service agent Mitchell Szydlowski were not returned.

At 3:26 PM Hotel Security calls. They want both boys off the property by
sundown. Joey tells security he will have them all fired. The plan to leave
that night is cemented. The silver Lincoln arrives and we all pile in for the
trip back to Toronto.

Part One: A White Knight?
Part Two: Dissecting the Notes
Part Three: The World's Best Con Man