--- Begin Message --- -Caveat Lector-

Dear Friends:

Many points to cover.

First, those of you who have sent in your pictures with a comment in support of the Akha can see those pictures up at http://www.akha.org

If you haven't sent your picture in yet, please do so.  A 20k jpg file size is ideal, make sure it is light enough as on the web many photos look dark.

The plates for the journal are finally done and we are still in need of additional paper.

Please make a small donation if possible, Paypal for us is back on line:

http://www.akha.org/donate/donate.htm

Many additions to the web site, be sure to check it all out.

Mushrooms http://www.akha.org/akha/environment/mushrooms/mushrooms.htm, bugs http://www.akha.org/akha/environment/bugs/bugs.htm , press photos http://www.akha.org/education/press.htm, human rights reports, a new section called the Akha News Blotter for small bits I add now and then.

We are still in need of a fundraising person if you have such skills that you can donate part time.

An Akha girl was killed in a attempted drug bust in one village, dying of severe injuries.

We have appealed to the White House Office on National Drug Policy for aid in this region regarding drugs along the border but they have not replied to our requests of an educational campaign, while at the same time the US heavily finances and trains the Thai military for drug war work. No one can explain these contradictions.

We applied to USAID. Same result.

We applied to the Embassy Narcotic Affairs office, but while we were negotiating that, the man we were speaking with was relieved.  Rumor has it he was "soft" on the drug war.

Not sure how it is connected, but one pleasant soldier who often came to our village to buy geese for the army base was always friendly toward my small boy of three.  But then as if some omen, my son became very frightened of him.  Then just two days ago I saw him at the small store on the road outside the village, and waived, the soldier was his happy self.  He was killed on the road in an ambush of some type a few hours later.  His parents came from the low lands of Thailand to get his body.  Sad to see one of the "friendly's" go this way.

Note http://www.akha.org/blotter/blotter.htm for pics of the local cops asking Akha villagers to tell them who is using drugs.  You have to be in the environment to see the incredible two tier appartheid economic system to fully appreciate the context of this.  Villages without enough food being raided, exploited in every way.

Maj. Orachai, the dude with the fast blinking eyes (does drug use cause this?) has left the area.  Too bad he robbed the Lahu and beat their trucks before leaving.  Is that what they call "severance pay" and the normal process for getting it?

A lot of info up at http://www.akha.org/humanrights/drugwar/drugwar.htm for those of you unaware of some of the argument in this region.

Mr. Yah Goh was robbed, still doesn't have the money back, same for Mr. Ah Dauh.

http://www.akha.org/humanrights/abuse/cases/yahgoh/yahgoh.htm

Mr. Ah Tsah and Mr. Leeh Cheeh Bpow, the two Lahu men seen taken by the army, are still missing.

Mr. Yah Tooh still has not gotten his 91,000 baht back though it is now the subject of an army report.  http://www.akha.org/humanrights/abuse/cases/yahtooh/yahtooh.htm

Information on Akha ceremonies http://akha.org/akha/ceremonies/ceremonies.htm

We have long wondered about the Taiwan related mission connections to the use of drugs.  Well in the news the heat seems to be getting closer. We note numerous Taiwan Missions in these areas which have no shortage of money for their projects. This is extraordinary considering what it takes in the Post 911 era to raise money, but not for these people.

http://www.akha.org/humanrights/drugwar/taiwandrugs.htm

We are still working on our coffee project, Fair Trade efforts around the world can contribute to our cause.  We are in need of funds for a coffee roaster and ordering our coffee packaging.

Thank you for your ongoing support of our work in Thailand to assist the Akha people.

Sincerely,
Matthew McDaniel

Matthew McDaniel
The Akha Heritage Foundation
Maesai, Chiangrai, Thailand
Donations by check or money order may be sent to:
The Akha Heritage Foundation
PO BOX 6073
Salem OR 97304 USA

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

-Home Page- www.cia-drugs.org
OM

<A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>