-Caveat Lector-

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020927-500715.htm

Washington Times.

AGENCY DISAVOWS REPORT ON IRAQ ARMS

Joseph Curl
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The International Atomic Energy Agency says that a report
cited by President Bush as evidence that Iraq in 1998 was
"six months away" from developing a nuclear weapon does not
exist.

"There's never been a report like that issued from this
agency," Mark Gwozdecky, the IAEA's chief spokesman, said
yesterday in a telephone interview from the agency's
headquarters in Vienna, Austria.

"We've never put a time frame on how long it might take Iraq
to construct a nuclear weapon in 1998," said the spokesman
of the agency charged with assessing Iraq's nuclear
capability for the United Nations.

In a Sept. 7 news conference with British Prime Minister
Tony Blair, Mr. Bush said: "I would remind you that when the
inspectors first went into Iraq and were denied — finally
denied access [in 1998], a report came out of the Atomic —
the IAEA that they were six months away from developing a
weapon.

"I don't know what more evidence we need," said the
president, defending his administration's case that Iraqi
leader Saddam Hussein was building weapons of mass
destruction.

The White House says Mr. Bush was referring to an earlier
IAEA report.

"He's referring to 1991 there," said Deputy Press Secretary
Scott McClellan. "In '91, there was a report saying that
after the war they found out they were about six months
away."

Mr. Gwozdecky said no such report was ever issued by the
IAEA in 1991.

Many news agencies — including The Washington Times —
reported Mr. Bush's Sept. 7 comments as referring to a 1998
IAEA report. The White House did not ask for a correction
from The Times.

To clear up the confusion, Mr. McClellan cited two news
articles from 1991 — a July 16 story in the London Times by
Michael Evans and a July 18 story in the New York Times by
Paul Lewis. But neither article cites an IAEA report on
Iraq's nuclear-weapons program or states that Saddam was
only six months away from "developing a weapon" — as claimed
by Mr. Bush.

The article by Mr. Evans says: "Jay Davis, an American
expert working for the U.N. special commission charged with
removing Iraq's nuclear capability, said Iraq was only six
months away from the large-scale production of enriched
uranium at two plants inspected by UN officials."

The Lewis article said Iraq in 1991 had a uranium
"enrichment plant using electromagnetic technology [that]
was about six months from becoming operational."

In October 1998, just before Saddam kicked U.N. weapons
inspectors out of Iraq, the IAEA laid out a case opposite of
Mr. Bush's Sept. 7 declaration.

"There are no indications that there remains in Iraq any
physical capability for the production of weapon-usable
nuclear material of any practical significance," IAEA
Director-General Mohammed Elbaradei wrote in a report to
U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

Mr. Bush and Mr. Blair on Sept. 7 cited an agency "report"
declaring that satellite photography revealed the Iraqis had
undertaken new construction at several nuclear-related
sites. This week, the IAEA said no such report existed.

The IAEA also took issue with a Sept. 9 report by the
International Institute for Strategic Studies — cited by the
Bush administration — that concludes Saddam "could build a
nuclear bomb within months if he were able to obtain fissile
material."

"There is no evidence in our view that can be substantiated
on Iraq's nuclear-weapons program. If anybody tells you they
know the nuclear situation in Iraq right now, in the absence
of four years of inspections, I would say that they're
misleading you because there isn't solid evidence out
there," Mr. Gwozdecky said.

"I don't know where they have determined that Iraq has
retained this much weaponization capability because when
we left in December '98 we had concluded that we had
neutralized their nuclear-weapons program. We had
confiscated their fissile material. We had destroyed all
their key buildings and equipment," he said.

Mr. Gwozdecky said there is no evidence about Saddam's
nuclear capability right now — either through his
organization, other agencies or any government.