-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/28/opinion/28EPST.html

Think You Have a Book in You? Think Again

By JOSEPH EPSTEIN

VANSTON, Ill.
According to a recent survey, 81 percent of Americans feel they have a book in them —
and
that they should write it. As the author of 14 books, with a 15th to be published next
spring,
I'd like to use this space to do what I can to discourage them.

Before I had first done so, writing a book seemed a fine, even grand thing. And so it
still
seems — except, truth to tell, it is a lot better to have written a book than to
actually be
writing one. Without attempting to overdo the drama of the difficulty of writing, to
be in the
middle of composing a book is almost always to feel oneself in a state of confusion,
doubt
and mental imprisonment, with an accompanying intense wish that one worked instead at
bricklaying.

Why should so many people think they can write a book, especially at a time when so
many
people who actually do write books turn out not really to have a book in them — or at
least
not one that many other people can be made to care about? Something on the order of
80,000 books get published in America every year, most of them not needed, not wanted,
not in any way remotely necessary.

I wonder if the reason so many people think they can write a book is that so many
third-
rate books are published nowadays that, at least viewed from the middle distance, it
makes
writing a book look fairly easy. After all, how many times has one thought, after
finishing a
bad novel, "I can do at least as well as that"? And the sad truth is that it may well
be that
one can. But why add to the schlock pile?

Beyond the obvious motivation for wanting to write a book — hoping to win fame or
fortune
— my guess is that many people who feel they have a book "in them" doubtless see
writing
it as a way of establishing their own significance. "There lurks, perhaps, in every
human
heart," wrote Samuel Johnson, "a desire of distinction, which inclines every man to
hope,
and then to believe, that nature has given himself something peculiar to himself." What
better way to put that distinction on display than in a book?

The search for personal significance was once nicely taken care of by the drama that
religion supplied. This drama, which lived in every human breast, no matter what one's
social class, was that of salvation: Would one achieve heaven or not? Now that it is
gone
from so many lives, in place of salvation we have the search for significance, a much
trickier business. If only oblivion awaits, how does one leave behind evidence that one
lived? How will one's distant progeny know that one once walked the earth? A book, the
balmy thought must be: I shall write a book.

Forgive me if I suggest that this isn't the most felicitous way to do battle against
oblivion.
Writing a book is likely, through the quickness and completeness with which one's book
will
die, to make the notion of oblivion all the more vivid.

There is something very American in the notion that almost everyone has a book in him
or
her. (In the survey of 1,006 Americans, sponsored by a small Michigan publisher, almost
equal numbers of people said they wanted to write a novel, a nonfiction work, a
self-help
book or a cookbook.) Certainly, it is a democratic notion, suggesting that everybody
is as
good as everybody else — and, by extension, one person's story or wisdom is as
interesting
as the next's. Then there is the equally false notion of creativity that has been
instilled in
students for too many years. It was Paul Valéry who said that the word "creation" has
been
so overused that even God must be embarrassed to have it attributed to him.

Misjudging one's ability to knock out a book can only be a serious and time-consuming
mistake. Save the typing, save the trees, save the high tax on your own vanity. Don't
write
that book, my advice is, don't even think about it. Keep it inside you, where it
belongs.

Joseph Epstein teaches at Northwestern University and is the author,
most recently, of "Snobbery.''
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway