-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/13/opinion/13DOWD.html

October 13, 2002

Texas on the Tigris

By MAUREEN DOWD

ASHINGTON — This has always been a place where people say the opposite of what they
mean. But last week, the capital soared to ominous new Orwellian heights.

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton voted to let the president use force in Iraq because she
didn't want the president to use force in Iraq.

Giving Mr. Bush bipartisan support, she said, would make his success at the U.N. "more
likely, and, therefore, war less likely."

The White House feigned interest in negotiation while planning for annexation without
representation.

The Democrats were desperate to put the war behind them, so they put the war in front
of
them.

They didn't want to seem weak, so they made the president stronger, which makes them
weaker.

Mr. Bush said he needed Congressional support to win at the U.N., but he wants to fail
at
the U.N. so he can install his own MacArthur as viceroy of Iraq. (Poor Tommy Franks may
finally have to leave Tampa.)

Mr. Bush says he's in a rush to go to war with Iraq because it's so strong, but he's
in a rush
to go to war with Iraq because it's so weak.

In his Cincinnati speech, he warned of a menacing Iraqi drone that could fly across the
ocean and spray germs or chemicals on us. But Pentagon experts say the drone could not
make the trip and would have to be disassembled, shipped over, sneaked in and
reassembled.

Mr. Bush said he wanted an independent 9/11 commission to investigate more broadly what
went wrong with the government before 9/11. But now he's trying to kill the panel
because
he already knows just about everything went wrong before 9/11. He doesn't want us to
know. Doesn't he know that we already know?

The president's father lamented in his diary in 1991 that his Persian Gulf war didn't
have a
clean end because "there is no battleship Missouri surrender." Now the son wants to
skip
the surrender and turn Baghdad into Houston East, putting a branch of the Petroleum
Club
at the intersection of the Tigris and the Euphrates.

Tom Daschle, Dianne Feinstein and other doubters came around on Thursday to the view
that Iraq is an urgent threat after the C.I.A. director, George Tenet, sent Congress a
memo
on Monday stating that Iraq is not an urgent threat.

Mr. Tenet, a Clinton holdover, is desperate to please Mr. Bush. Senators joke that he
gives
the president intelligence briefings while polishing Mr. Bush's shoes. So the C.I.A.
chief was
embarrassed to find himself insinuating that W. is hyping his war.

After providing the smoking gun to show that Mr. Bush has no smoking gun, the usually
silent top spook was frantically calling reporters on Tuesday night to insist that
there's no
daylight between him and the president on Iraq.

Let's see: Mr. Tenet says Saddam is unlikely to initiate a chemical or biological
attack
against us unless we attack him, and Mr. Bush says Saddam is likely to initiate a
chemical
or biological attack so we must attack him.

The C.I.A. says Saddam will use his nasty weapons against us only if he thinks he has
nothing to lose. So the White House leaks its plans about the occupation of Iraq,
leaving
Saddam nothing to lose.

The president says Iraq is linked to Islamic terrorists so we must attack, while the
C.I.A.
says that Iraq will link up with Islamic terrorists only if we attack.

Mr. Bush says the war on Iraq will help us in the war on terrorism. But somebody
forgot to
tell the Osama lieutenant Ayman al-Zawahiri, who says the war on Iraq justifies more
terrorist attacks. Mr. Zawahiri's taped message has incited Al Qaeda warriors to new
attacks while we're preoccupied with our post-occupation.

When asked if Iraq in 2003 would look like Japan in 1945, Ari Fleischer said no, it
would
look like Afghanistan in 2002. But Afghanistan is now even more dangerous than the
suburbs of Washington. We have lost interest in Afghanistan because we are too busy
trying to turn Iraq into Japan.

The Nobel committee gave Jimmy Carter the peace prize as a way of giving W. the war
booby prize.

Still, George Bush, the failed Harken oil executive, and Dick Cheney, the inept
Halliburton
chairman, will finally get their gusher.

One day, the prez was shootin' at a dictator bein' rude, and up from the ground came a
bubblin' crude. Oil, that is. Black gold. Baghdad tea.

Copyright The New York Times Company | Permissions | Privacy Policy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A<>E<>R
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Forwarded as information only; I don't believe everything I read or send
(but that doesn't stop me from considering it; obviously SOMEBODY thinks it's
important)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without
charge or
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of
information for
non-profit research and educational purposes only.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth
shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway