-Caveat Lector-

"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the
people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect
themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson
------------------

To See What Gun Control Does Look Down Under
By: Jim Moore

 From Ed Chenel, a police officer in Australia, comes an interesting piece of
information, sent directly to the American people, about gun control. A dangerous idea
some of our naïve citizens and Constitution-challenged bureaucrats have been hawking
with more fervor lately.

"Hi Yanks," writes Officer Chenel, "I thought you all would like to see the real
figures from Down Under. Australians were forced by a new law to surrender a total of
640,381 personal firearms, to be destroyed by our government; a program costing the
Australian taxpayers more than $500 million dollars."

Officer Chenel then says that the first year's results are in and they are rather
distressing. Throughout Australia, homicides are up 3.2 percent; assaults are up 8.6
percent; armed robberies are up 44 percent.

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are up over 300 percent!

Figures over the past 25 years, Officer Chenel tells us, show a steady drop in armed
robbery with firearms. But in the past 12 months (since the criminals now are
guaranteed that their prey is unarmed) there has been a dramatic increase of
break-ins, especially assaults on the elderly.

"Australian police," says Officer Chenel, "are at a loss to explain how public safety
has DEcreased after such monumental effort and expense was expended to rid Australian
society of guns."

I'm surprised that it comes as a surprise to Officer Chenel and the Australian police
department that their government's confiscation of guns has resulted in a crime spree.
My guess is that they knew it would happen but aren't saying so. And who can blame
them for remaining mum?

After all, without weapons, the whole country, with no exaggeration, is defenseless,
and being so, it becomes easy pickings for criminals of every stripe--because,
remember, the lawbreakers still have their guns. It's only the law-abiding gun owners
that had to turn theirs in.

Of course, we haven't heard about these statistics on any American news channels, and
don't hold your breath waiting for them to break with the news. Nor have any of our
esteemed politicians deigned to reveal this troubling information to us.

Why should they? After all, these figures run counter to the gun grab legislation that
many of them keep pushing for.

By collecting and destroying all personal weapons, the Australian government has
stupidly turned their country into a nation of helpless and unprotected quarry.

Officer Chenel, in a final warning admonishes us: "The Australian experience proves
it. Guns in the hands of honest citizens saves lives and property, and yes,
gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens, not the criminals. Take note,
Americans, before it's too late."

What a pity. With no way of defending themselves, the Australian people can now join
the sheep that their country is so famous for.
--------------------
Jim Moore is a free-lance political writer and is a regular columnist for Ether Zone.
Jim Moore can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
A list of works by Jim Moore can be seen at the American Reformation Project website
Published in the October 21, 2002 issue of  Ether Zone. Copyright © 1997 - 2002 Ether
Zone.

---------------------
-iNFoWaRZ
....in a letter to the NRA, Ashcroft stated that the 2nd Amendment did not prohibit
Congress from enacting laws restricting firearms ownership for "compelling state
interests." Mr. Ashcroft, where’s the "compelling state interest" clause in the
Constitution? I’m far more familiar with the "right of the people to keep and bear
arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" clause!

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference
-- they deserve a place of honor with all that is good."
-George Washington

"...to disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..."
-George Mason

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost
every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by
the sword; because the whole of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior
to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United
States."
-Noah Webster

"The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."
-Patrick Henry

"...but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of
any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people, while
there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and
use of arms, WHO STAND READY TO DEFEND THEIR RIGHTS..."
-Alexander Hamilton