-Caveat Lector-

Story tools:
Back a page
Read later
Print
Mail to a friend

Ulrika 'rape' man named
By Hugh Dougherty, Tim Cooper and Jessica Hodgson, Evening Standard

ITV presenter John Leslie was today dramatically named on live television as the man who allegedly raped Ulrika Jonsson.

Leslie was in a studio preparing for his own show, This Morning, when the comment was made. His agent declined to comment on the claim.

Ever since the publication of Jonsson's autobiography Honest, in which she alleges she was attacked by a television presenter, the world of entertainment has been awash with speculation that Leslie was the mystery man.

Other stories:

Ulrika 'rape' man named

'Troops will cross fire pickets'

Diana 'left jewels for princes' future wives'

Baby Romeo given a middle name

Holiday Briton shot dead

I am God, says sniper

Row grows over 'designer babies'

Lady Archer's 'high standards'

Grief of Tube man's brother

Booker Prize goes to foreign author

In the book, Jonsson did not name her attacker and has repeatedly refused to identify him.

But during the growing furore it is understood that Leslie, through friends, vigorously denied the allegations but did admit having a consensual sexual relationship with Jonsson.

Leslie, 37, a former Blue Peter presenter, was named on Channel 5 by Matthew Wright as he reviewed the papers on his morning show, The Wright Stuff.

During a discussion on Jonsson's allegations in today's newspapers, broadcaster and journalist Vivienne Parry said of two other women who have made complaints against the same man: "They haven't gone to the police, they've gone to Max Clifford so ..."

Wright responded: "Of the three women who have pointed the finger at John Leslie, one of them has a book out - £16.99 in all good bookshops - and the other two have gone to the highest-profile publicist around."

Clifford appeared shortly afterwards on the programme to be interviewed on the Jonsson affair.

He told the Standard that he had no idea Leslie's name had been mentioned as he appeared live. "They asked me to appear on the show to talk about my involvement - the conversations I have had and the advice I would give to both parties - and I agreed," he said.

"Just before we went on air the producer asked me whether I would respond if Matthew asked me if John Leslie had spoken to me. "I said no - and he didn't. John Leslie's name was not mentioned while I was there."

Clifford has said he spoke to the alleged rapist after being contacted for advice, as well as at least one other woman claiming she was sexually assaulted by him.

Matthew Wright: named John Leslie on his Channel 5 show this morning
On Monday a national newspaper published a lengthy and anonymous account from friends of the alleged rapist, in which he said he had consensual sex with Jonsson but strongly denied he had raped her.

The show is watched by an average of 200,000 viewers each morning. A spokeswoman for Five said: "It was never the intention of the Wright Stuff to name anyone in connection with this story."

The transcript of what actually happened on the show is as follows:

Vivienne Parry: And it sort of worries me that you read further-on in the main story that actually the two women who have now come forward, they haven't gone straight to the police, where have they gone? Max Clifford. So I mean ...

Matthew Wright: So the three women that we know of that are pointing the finger at John Leslie, one of them's got a book out - £16.99 from all good book shops - and the other two are working with one of the highest profiled publicists around - do you think that's the right approach that ... these women are showing to such a serious story or ...?

Earlier, Jonsson won a court order banning ex-lover Stan Collymore from selling an explicit video of the pair having sex.

The former football star was told he cannot sell video footage, stills or photographs showing Jonsson naked or having sex with him and must hand over all his material to her lawyers.

The video, said to have been made on holiday in Jamaica, shows scenes of the two making love.

Former Liverpool striker Collymore, whom Jonsson dumped after he beat her up in a Paris bar during the 1998 World Cup, was said to have offered the video for sale.

His lawyer, Jonathan Crystal, was reported to be seeking offers for the explicit footage.

Related stories
Leslie's life in the tabloids
Ulrika blocks sex video

 Top of page
©2002 Associated New Media | Terms

<A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>

<<pixel.gif>>

<<header.gif>>

<<johnleslieST231002_100x110.jpg>>

<<storyicon_back.gif>>